Loud volume on sd channels.

dalebrow

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
cincinnati
I have the vip 222k receiver. When ever me or the wife change channels the sd channels volume will blow you out of your seat. This happens with the receiver or just the tv speakers. Is there some sort of setting in the sat. box to eliminate this? Takes the joy out of channel surfing.Tried a search but wasn't successful. Thanks.

I noticed, when I look over at my receiver it shows it is in 2.0, not 5.1, even though they are showing the picture in HD.

That's why it is louder. Dolby is recorded at variable levels. Not all programs (even HD) contain a Dolby digital soundtrack.

With any A/V system equipped with Dolby, put on some sound and you can toggle through the settings, say Dolby 2.0 to 5.1 to other settings like Theater or Stadium etc.

When you do, you'll notice that any Dolby settings are quieter than any of the other settings. And you will also notice the 2.0 is louder than 5.1.

When your receiver reads 2.0 it WILL be louder than 5.1. So when you are watching HD content (the majority of which is in 5.1) and then you switch to SD (them not having 5.1) you experience a sound drop.

If you are using an optical audio out, you could change the Menu-6-7 (Dolby digital screen) and select PCM Only. This should make variations much less noticable (at the cost of some sound fidelity). That cost is that your sound quality and volume would all be as SD is.

The other thing you can do is to route your sound via RCA (red/white) cables and you will have stable sound.

That's why it is louder. Dolby is recorded at variable levels. Not all programs (even HD) contain a Dolby digital soundtrack.

With any A/V system equipped with Dolby, put on some sound and you can toggle through the settings, say Dolby 2.0 to 5.1 to other settings like Theater or Stadium etc.

When you do, you'll notice that any Dolby settings are quieter than any of the other settings. And you will also notice the 2.0 is louder than 5.1.

When your receiver reads 2.0 it WILL be louder than 5.1. So when you are watching HD content (the majority of which is in 5.1) and then you switch to SD (them not having 5.1) you experience a sound drop.

If you are using an optical audio out, you could change the Menu-6-7 (Dolby digital screen) and select PCM Only. This should make variations much less noticable (at the cost of some sound fidelity). That cost is that your sound quality and volume would all be as SD is.

The other thing you can do is to route your sound via RCA (red/white) cables and you will have stable sound.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, but I know all about that. The poster asked if anyone noticed, I siad I did and explained why it was louder, he agreed. Until the NFL channel uses DD 5.1 or 7.1 I will have the loudness issue. No big deal.

It is a big deal! Aggravating as heck. There has been many posts/threads in regards to this and loud commercials. We live in a time that this should not be allowed or tolerated. Don't tell me that there is no way for the television industry to fix this. Heck back when all we had was ota transmissions for tv we didn't have these issues. FCC regulated modulation to 100%. Then the advertising industry got into the act... Every time I watch tv and get ready to change channels or a commercial is about to come on I feel like I should prepare myself like the guy in the old Maxell tape commercial.:rolleyes:
3060000000058568.JPG
We don't have these issues in radio!????????;)

Last edited:
I mute the loud advertisements

I hate the loud commercials so much that I sit with the remote near me and I hit the mute button when they come on. It's always the same commercials that are doing this (Magic Jack, DirectBuy etc.) and it doesn't matter whether it's SD or HD channel. I wouldn't be surprised if DISH charged extra to the advertisers for loud audio in advertisements.

It's strange that I was watching the Golf Channel the other day and a Magic Jack commercial came on and the volume was low. The same commercial appeared on another channel and it was blasting. The typical viewer of the Golf Channel is used to the quiet game of golf and does not appreciate the screaming commercials.

I understand the difference in 2 channel audio vs 5.1 audio and I realize that the volume drops using more speakers but I think this can be controlled. I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned during a Charlie Chat.

Netstar

In most instances, it's the agency that shoots/creates the commercial that deliberately sets the volume/compression level high and there's little that dish, direct, or your local tv station can do, except to not accept the commercial and lose the income.

Are regulated

It is a big deal! Aggravating as heck. There has been many posts/threads in regards to this and loud commercials. We live in a time that this should not be allowed or tolerated. Don't tell me that there is no way for the television industry to fix this. Heck back when all we had was ota transmissions for tv we didn't have these issues. FCC regulated modulation to 100%. Then the advertising industry got into the act... Every time I watch tv and get ready to change channels or a commercial is about to come on I feel like I should prepare myself like the guy in the old Maxell tape commercial.:rolleyes:
3060000000058568.JPG
We don't have these issues in radio!????????;)

They are regulated just not the way you want. All the provider has to do is make sure that the ads are not any louder than the loudest point of the show. Of course have no idea where they get the info of what the F is the loudest. :D

There are devices Dish/Cable/TV stations can purchase and put in their chains to "even" out the audio levels... even when switching between 5.1 and 2.0 content. HOWEVER, most content providers (ie: networks) don't want anything to affect their audio mix... doesn't matter whether that audio mix is right or not, you're not supposed to change it.

Keep in mind, when talking the LiL signals, the signal originates (whether live or recorded) in NY or LA, travels via satellite to the local stations, goes through all their equipment, out to the transmitter, to a receive point for Dish/Direct/Cable, back out to THAT provider's origination point, then out to your home. Aside from the spots your local content provider is adding to the show (probably not a lot), they're generally at the mercy of who/where they get the content from.

As far as regulations... the FCC only regulates OTA stations... not DSS or cable.

How 'bout October.

TV commercial loudness bill advances

and

"The issue revolves around program and commercial loudness and a DTV audio function called dialog normalization or “dialnorm.” This is a parameter of digital audio metadata that accompanies the transmitted sound and sets the volume in all DTV home receivers. For programs and commercials to transition smoothly, all content must be encoded with the proper dialnorm value.
Viewers continue to complain that some TV commercials are louder than others and in most cases are presented at a much higher volume than the program dialogue they precede or follow. As per the Advanced Television System Committee’s (ATSC) DTV standard adopted by the FCC and made law by reference in 1996, all digital TV transmissions in the United States must broadcast properly matched loudness and dialnorm.
Unfortunately, that requirement was never clearly explained, and viewers continue to sound off. Some have threatened to get their programming elsewhere (such as the Internet or DVD), which is a threat for stations in today’s highly competitive environment."
http://broadcastengineering.com/news/broadcasters-listening-loudness-level-1012/

Try this if you are not concerned about Dolby Digital surround sound. Adjust your digital output for PCM only and RF mode . (press menu, 6, 7, to find these options) I believe these settings affect only the digital outputs of the sat receiver(HDMI and Toslink). This helps to equalize volume between Dolby Digital and non Dolby Digital sources at the expense of Dolby digital decoding. If you use an A/V receiver for audio playback, you can still have surround sound by using Dolby Pro Logic II decoding within your receiver. If you are using your TV for audio playback via HDMI, it's almost surely only two channel playback anyway and you will lose nothing or very little in audio quality and gain more even volume across a variety of program sources. This is not a cure-all by any means but it helps if DD 5.1 sound is not your top priority. FYI, changes to these settings often do not take effect until after making a sat receiver channel change. So, make the setting changes, then change the channel to assess how the change affects your setup.

Last edited:
That's OTA

How 'bout October.

TV commercial loudness bill advances

and

"The issue revolves around program and commercial loudness and a DTV audio function called dialog normalization or “dialnorm.” This is a parameter of digital audio metadata that accompanies the transmitted sound and sets the volume in all DTV home receivers. For programs and commercials to transition smoothly, all content must be encoded with the proper dialnorm value.
Viewers continue to complain that some TV commercials are louder than others and in most cases are presented at a much higher volume than the program dialogue they precede or follow. As per the Advanced Television System Committee’s (ATSC) DTV standard adopted by the FCC and made law by reference in 1996, all digital TV transmissions in the United States must broadcast properly matched loudness and dialnorm.
Unfortunately, that requirement was never clearly explained, and viewers continue to sound off. Some have threatened to get their programming elsewhere (such as the Internet or DVD), which is a threat for stations in today’s highly competitive environment."
Broadcasters listening to loudness level set in Congress

This is related to OTA only. It has nothing to do with satellite retransmission and commercials supplied on it it by insertion from a different source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)