Louder audio depending on output type?

Charade

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
I just recently switched all my cabling around to route the video and audio outputs from my 612 (and DVD player) through my HTR. I previously had the audio from my 612 going through the HTR but the video went right to the TV via the standard RCA connection. I now use the optical cable. Now I notice that some commercials are now MUCH louder than they were previously using the RCA connections. Some commercials were louder with that connection as well but it seems some even louder than before. I changed to the optical connection to get the dolby when watching PPVs.

Any thoughts?

Because you are now getting actual DD and not analogue stereo surround like you were using RCA. Commercials are in general, always louder. You're just hearing more dynamics now.

Because you are now getting actual DD and not analogue stereo surround like you were using RCA. Commercials are in general, always louder. You're just hearing more dynamics now.

I found a solution of sorts. My HTR has a "late night" mode for the audio which compresses the dynamic range. It's ideal for regular TV and can be easily switched off if needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts