Love Movies on VOOM

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
I am talking about the combination of Cinema 10 and the 10 Premium movie channels every night on VOOM. For the latest movies available (other than PPV) the 10 Premium channels (HBO, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, STARZ, ENCORE & THE MOVIE CHANNEL all with East & West satellites except the latter 2) give me a great choice for an evening's viewing all in HD! My alternative is Cinema 10 which I am glad is not competing for the latest movies. Otherwise it would be a duplication of the Premium channels since only so many movies are available. Their collection of films from the 60's - 90's provides a choice to see great or even classic films from the past. So between the 20 HD movie channels I have to choose from every night I can usually find a film to watch.

Now if you were on DirecTV (I still carry it for NFL Ticket) you would only have a choice of 3 channels of films in HD; HDNET MOVIES, HBO & SHOWTIME. 3 vs. 20. That's why I like VOOM. I remember what it was like turning off the Tv because there was nothing on in HD and going to Blockbuster to rent a film so I could see it as the Director intended, not with 48% of the picture gone because it was in 4:3 (or so-called "fullscreen") format.

I'm sure others have their special interests; sports, art, travel or music. But then that's why there are choices. (I didn't buy my HDTV to watch re-runs of Hogan's Heroes or a 4:3 SD picture stretched and distorted)

You forgot HDNET, though they don't carry movies all day long, they do show several per week. I've been getting into their Friday Night Chiller lately.

I agree- VOOM's original movie prgmmng has been bashed a lot but for sheer choice alone, and the incredible picture quality on whatever you do indeed choose watching, VOOM is the best. I had never seen "Easy Rider". I can guarantee you there is no better way to familiarize yourself with a classic movie than to watch it on VOOM in hidef and 5.1 . There is A LOT of great music in that flick and it all comes at ya in DOLBYDIG!! Just the music alone is great--and back in that day you get to hear the entire song--not just a snippet. VOOM RULES!!!!

Nothing beats seeing it when it originally came out in the theaters, that movie is a classic. I grew up in the LA basin and quite frequently drove to Hollywood to the Cinerama dome to see a movie premier, now that's a cinematic experience.

The first time I heard real surround sound was when Apocalypse Now came out, the movie opens up with "The End" by The Doors and has these slow moving, slowed down sound of choppers flying diagonally from left rear to front right and across the screen, it was totally awesome. I've never heard a sound system that was better than that night.

As awesome as my setup is, I bought Apocalypse Now to try and recreate that experience but it doesn't even come close, but I do agree, for the home cinema, these old movies can't be beat on Voom.

I love the selection of movies on Cinema 10...just wish PQ was better. I think a key reason Cinema 10 takes such a bashing is because so many viewers are comparing them to new releases on the premium channels. Some of the movies may very well be classics, but they certainly aren't new release.

Another reason Cinema 10 takes a beating is because most people focus their limited TV-Time watching their premium movies channels followed by HD sports, HD network prime-time and then wonder why they don't watch Cinema 10...they simply don't have time.

DarrellP said:
Nothing beats seeing it when it originally came out in the theaters, that movie is a classic. I grew up in the LA basin and quite frequently drove to Hollywood to the Cinerama dome to see a movie premier, now that's a cinematic experience.

The first time I heard real surround sound was when Apocalypse Now came out, the movie opens up with "The End" by The Doors and has these slow moving, slowed down sound of choppers flying diagonally from left rear to front right and across the screen, it was totally awesome. I've never heard a sound system that was better than that night.

As awesome as my setup is, I bought Apocalypse Now to try and recreate that experience but it doesn't even come close, but I do agree, for the home cinema, these old movies can't be beat on Voom.

What kind of projector are you using and screen size? Been thinking about going FP for a while, but not that familiar with it.

This past weekend I browsed the Cinema10 channels and they appear to have been cleaned up considerably. There was no mosquito noise visible on any channel, but tune to Equator, Auction, Ultra or Gallery and BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Awful.

I agree. Many of the VOOM movies are of "the quality" that don't appeal to the mass market. Kudos to whomever is in charge of VOOM-specific programming.

I'm still mixed with the cinema channels. When I first signed up, they were complete garbage in my opinion. Seemed like the only decent movie on was Oh god

its been changing through the months. Nice to have things like a clockwork orange, robocop I & II, benny and joon, the song remains the same, i'm sure there's more (just can't remember off the top of my head), and i didn't realize they just added easy rider. The monster channel i think is probubly the best, has great horror movies. My big complaint right now is the amount of filler movies they have. Do we really need to see a HD Garbage Pail Kids?

djjsin said:
My big complaint right now is the amount of filler movies they have. Do we really need to see a HD Garbage Pail Kids?

It fits for the VOOM Kids channel. Channel name has not changed but note that all the movies on for kids already. Not a filler.

I hope Voom tackles showing some of the movies they show on IFC/AMC on their cinema10 channels, like Planet of the Apes, Pulp Fiction, kung fu movies, etc...

Also keep it varied I see they added Omega Man, I sometimes like cheese sci fi like that. Follow up with Year of the Comet, Soylent Green and that kind of stuff, I've also posted a couple of threads with requests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)