Please reply by conversation.

. Raine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 6, 2013
North America, CT.
Hello everyone,
I'm having trouble aiming the Radio Shack C band dish I just put up, seems like I'm definitely missing something, hopefully something simple. The pole is plumb, my magnetic protractor at any position on the pole shows it to be spot on. Signal seems to be low, on my First Strike FS1 meter it shows about 40 for signal and 0 for Quality, the same if I hook up my X2 receiver. Trying to aim it at 72 W, my South sat, using 3937 V 2825 and 4063 V 1628 for TP's to lock on to and can't get nothing. My lat. is 41.7919 and long. is 71.8717, set elevation to 41.7 and aiming at 194.6 magnetic for azimuth, declination on the dish I set to 5.9 degrees. The dish has a horizon to horizon mount and has separate adjustments on it for declination and elevation. I have the alignment printout from the original owners from when they bought it and they didn't live too far away, it shows their lat. at 42.17, long. 71.14, elevation 42.8, declination 5.9 degrees. Are C band dishes harder to aim than Ku? My Ku dish I move around and find signal within minutes, not this dish though. Right now it has a single feed [ADL ?] with a Norsat Gold 710-0285 LNB on it and I'm using the original receiver for the polorator and motor control, which both motor and polorator are working fine. I tried another LNB that I have, a Pico LNB-75, and had the same results, just slightly higher signal. I do have two other feeds, a single chapparel and a dual ortho, which once I get the dish working I am planning on putting on the dual ortho. I figured for now I'd try the feed that came with the dish, seeing as how I have the instructions for that, even though they aren't very clear on mounting the feed to the feed arm. using 5150 as low, 18 v for supply to the LNB. Checked the cabling, no shorts or anything and the cable works fine with my Ku dish. Tried slowly, by very small increments, moving elevation and azimuth, like I do for my Ku dish when trying to lock something, and can't seem to get anything. Any advice would be much appreciated. I can post pictures, if needed, I actually have a bunch of pictures posted in another thread but I don't know how to add a link here in this one. The dish is an SR2012 Radio Shack Satellite System and the receiver that I'm using for the motor and polarator is a Realistic SR-2012. There is a lot of trees to the South but my Ku dish worked fine in the exact same spot just a week ago, so I'm thinking, hoping that the C band dish would work all right there too?

If I recall your dish is an 8',those tp's are dvb s2 8psk,hard to get on an 8',especially when you're hunting for your first sat.If you have a ku set up you can put on the dish it would be most likely easier to find the nbc mux on the ku side.
While I get the cw's fine on my 12'Paraclipse,I've never been able to get the 4063 tp.

Have you tried calculating and or adjusting the focal length? It's quite common for it to be close, but not at the optimum position, as the analog signals are a bit more 'forgiving'. (all they had back when the dish was made)
Are you powering the LNB with the analog receiver? How are you getting the LNB signal to the FTA receiver?
3937 V 2825 my strongest @ Q 78
4063 V 1628 is a no show here also. Kinda think it's been gone for a while.

If it's S2 being the problem, there is a DVB-S Tp on Simón Bolívar at 78.0°W. that could be 'tried' ONLY .4° lower that 72W but west ~9°.
Still close enough to use as 'south satellite'.

?After making an adjustment, stop and wait, 10 seconds or so to allow the receiver/meter to 'lock on'.
Might look over
http://theho.web.fc2.com/BUD/9525/ for more info/clues I've put on the web. Let us know here what 'happens'.

Last edited:
It's Alive!

Waylew, Fat Air and Beavs2112, thank you, it's working! Aiming for 78W and lowering the declination did the trick. It's not one hundred percent tracking the arc right now but it's real, real close. This weekend, if the weather is good, I'm gonna finish adjusting it and then install the dual ortho feed and also check the focal length as Fat Air suggested. I tried all three LNB's that I have and they're all good, so the two Norsats can go on the ortho. Once again, thank you!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts