Low signal On 1 or 2 Transponder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpalermo

Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
I keep having a consistent problem with one or two transponders on both satellites The specific transponder that gives the most problems is 25 on both satellite 101 & 119

All the other transponders are in the 80s and 90s and these few transponders are in the 50's and from time to time it get a total drop out on these transponders and associated channels. One of the channels is the Disney and it is just upset my kids as you can imagine.

Anyway, I have tried re-aligning the dish and some times I can get those transponders up to the 70's but eventually it falls back. Also, I will point out I do not have the best line of sight. I am shooting over some trees so I understand how the leaves can interfere. Also, I have two receivers and they both act the same way. I also have multi-switch and I have removed it and the same problem. I also replaced the Dual LNB.

Before I go and ask my neighbor to cut down his tree, I want to make sure something else is not happening. My thought is if the tree was the issue I would be having problems with all the transponders not just a couple.

One other thing, probably worth noting. At my previous house my dish was mounted tilted a bit which I still see those type around on the triple LNB setups and when I moved and got new dish the installer said the Dual LNB did not need this type of dish. I am starting to think this might be the problem.

Anyway, can anyone offer some advance or insight into what is going on.

Thanks

Last edited:
Exactly what dish do you have now? If you have the round dual output LNB dish, which doesn't need the tilt, then it can only receive the 101 satellite. Or did the installer put up the older elliptical dish that has two physical LNBs? This one requires that the tilt be used. It receives the 101 and 119 sats.

Some TPs on those sats could have strengths that are zero, low or very high because they are spot beams. On 101 these are 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28. On 119, they are 23, 25, 29, and 31.

I am new to this stuff and have been wondering about transponder signal strengths. I have assumed the transponders are in outer space riding on a satellite and if I am aimed at the satellite and get a good signal on one transponder I should be able to get the good signal on all. After all, the satellite is just a point in the sky is it not?

Your answer suggests not all transponders are the same. Is that correct? Is there a place I can find out what characteristics they each have?

I get my signal through a V-shaped notch between some large pine trees, with 80 or 90 signal strength on some transponders, and zero on others, but sometimes it is OK. DirecTV won't sent service people out because they wrote me off after telling me the trees were blocking my signal. I later remounted my dish on a tree trunk and it worked great for a year even though I have over 200 feet of coax run to my receiver.

But now it is acting up again and I am in the process of re-wiring it to get shorter runs, hoping that will help.

Exactly what dish do you have now? If you have the round dual output LNB dish, which doesn't need the tilt, then it can only receive the 101 satellite. Or did the installer put up the older elliptical dish that has two physical LNBs? This one requires that the tilt be used. It receives the 101 and 119 sats.

Some TPs on those sats could have strengths that are zero, low or very high because they are spot beams. On 101 these are 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28. On 119, they are 23, 25, 29, and 31.

I have the one LNB which is a dual unit, and I think your right the older one was two LNB's on it and it was elliptical in shape from left to right. The one I have now is elliptical in shape but up and down.

None of my TPs are zero that are on sate 101 they all have some signal strength and on 119 TPs 22 to 32 have signal.

I have specific problem is with TPs 25 on both 101 and 119 and like I said Disney is on TP 25 along with Discovery and History channels. and I keep getting broken video specially when it rains.

I can not figure why one of two of the TP are so much lower than the rest.

Bill, Not to be mean do not highjack my thread I am trying to solve a problem

don't know if it will help but it wouldn't be a bad idea to to set your recivers to the correct dish. if you have a d-10,11,or 12 goto menu-setup-satellite-repeat guided setup.

also if cable is pinched/kinked it will affect the impedance which can degrade the signal on single xponders

I have the one LNB which is a dual unit, and I think your right the older one was two LNB's on it and it was elliptical in shape from left to right. The one I have now is elliptical in shape but up and down.

None of my TPs are zero that are on sate 101 they all have some signal strength and on 119 TPs 22 to 32 have signal.

I have specific problem is with TPs 25 on both 101 and 119 and like I said Disney is on TP 25 along with Discovery and History channels. and I keep getting broken video specially when it rains.

On my set up Sat 101 has a low signal on TP 18 - 51 and TP 28 is at 0, this I am sure has to do with my physical location.
On Sat 119 I have a 0 on TP23 and the rest are in the high 90's, so if you see a few 0's or low signals it may not be a problem afterall, A FEW that is, not alot.

Jimbo

also if cable is pinched/kinked it will affect the impedance which can degrade the signal on single xponders

I was wondering if this could be the case, The cable has a few kinks in it and a splice in it.

Last edited:

If you really have the single dual output LNB dish then you can't be getting readings from the 119 satellite. Tune to chs 490-494 and report the results. That dish might be the old Sony oval dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)