low signal on low transponders...

CMB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
losing signal strength on Dish 6000

Over the last month I have been having problems with getting CBS-HD from the 61.5 satelite. It will not lock most of the time and when it does it will give me macro blocking often. I checked switch (21) 6-7 times and it passes every time. I noticed the signal strength is very low on transponder #6 and it varies and will not lock often. I get a decent signal on the high transponders #12 gets a 100 signal.

Now I'm having the problem with the other satelites - 110 and 119 - on the 6000 and standard def channels (even Fox news). It seems to be the same type of problem, signal varies alot and is much lower on the low transponders. 110 satelite gives me 114 signal on transponder 29 and no signal on transponders 12 and lower. 119 gives me low signals on low transponders and 100 on higher transponders.

All this started me thinking switch or 6000. So I checked my 508 that doesn't go through the sw-21 and it is getting a great signal on all transponders from 110 and 119 satelites. Does this narrow it down to the switch or should I try my 508 with the 6000 cabling/switch to see if it might be the 6000?

Do you think water may have gotten into my switch (21)? I did start to notice this problem after a day of very heavy rains and winds.

Thanks for the anticipated responses and help.

And Happy Holidays to all on this board.

Ater not receiving any replies here I resorted to calling Dish technical service. I got lucky. Talked to someone who had a clue. Told him about the problem and switched out the receiver and got great signal strength on the other receiver. So figured it wasn't the dish but the 6000 receiver. He had me pull out the 8psk card and plug my cable into the old connection. Got strong signals on the low transponders. We then tried the 8psk module again to reset it but had no luck and lost all channels now. Defective module. He said they have had quite a few of these go bad. They will replace it (15 months old) if I add extended warranty for $6 a month (but can cancel this at any time). I think my 8vsb is bad too. Started having problems with it a few months ago and switched local ota digitals to my Directv receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)