Low Signal Rate blind scanning

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Probably, but I only used the regular Blind Scan setting, there is an "Accurate Scan" setting I have not tried.

I wish the manhattan had that! ;) I won't get to try on my Openbox S10 because I think it's a clone and I don't want to take a risk of bricking it. It seems to work pretty good other than having to turn it on and off by the back master power switch.

Accurate scan - I hope it just changes the MHz tuning steps to 1 MHz rather than 5 or 10 or whatever the Manhattan uses (and probably older openbox firmwares as well) and increases the dwell time waiting for lock indication. I know it'd take a lot longer to scan since you are scanning like 1000 attempts on a single sat/both pols command rather than 200 or 100 attempts, but you might be able to scan in those 4 close together carriers if your receiver will do its scan in 1 MHz steps and have some patience for lock indication rather than give up fairly quickly and move on to the next MHz try.

I wish the manhattan had that! ;) I won't get to try on my Openbox S10 because I think it's a clone and I don't want to take a risk of bricking it. It seems to work pretty good other than having to turn it on and off by the back master power switch.

Accurate scan - I hope it just changes the MHz tuning steps to 1 MHz rather than 5 or 10 or whatever the Manhattan uses (and probably older openbox firmwares as well) and increases the dwell time waiting for lock indication. I know it'd take a lot longer to scan since you are scanning like 1000 attempts on a single sat/both pols command rather than 200 or 100 attempts, but you might be able to scan in those 4 close together carriers if your receiver will do its scan in 1 MHz steps and have some patience for lock indication rather than give up fairly quickly and move on to the next MHz try.
I know that there is a request in , for a programmable blindscan option, but it's not as crucial as some other changes, IMHO . The Manhattan successfully blindscans the 12124 H 1000 SR on 105 Ku, so it can handle low Symbol Rates, but I don't know of an instance of multiple low symbol rates muxes, spaced closely together , to test the Manhattan on THAT eventuality. :)

You should try to blind scan in the mexican locals on 99w cband. There is at least 3 at 1562 SR. GDL, CDC, and TV3 puebla.

Well I just loaded the latest openbox firmware from this site and I see it has an accurate scan mode but it did not fetch anything lower that 3154 signal rate. :-( I am able to manually scan transponders and it will find the channels but no blind scan.

I don't think the Openbox will get the SR 1000 tp on 105W, but the Manhattan does. Getting that tp on 99W Cband was a challenge. Probably never would have caught it without Lyngsat. I optimized the dish aim with my Cband Manhattan, having entered the tp manually. Then I blindscanned it using the second Manhattan, and on the third try , it found it. I'm sure that little tp is hiding in the BIG LESEA signal and gets missed for that reason. Best Q I get on it is about 60. :)

I have however scanned in peace tv on 123w pretty consistently with the S9. I believe it's signal rate is 2000.

Right now, I don't actually think low SR scanning is REALLY important, but eventually I think we'll see more DVB-S2 mpeg4 low SR feeds, because they cost less to transmit. When those come along, it's likely that some good content will be out there. So I watch for low SR efficiency. :)

Right now, I don't actually think low SR scanning is REALLY important, but eventually I think we'll see more DVB-S2 mpeg4 low SR feeds, because they cost less to transmit.
It's already happening. I know of probably 15 ones with SR below 1700 that are video that can't be found in blindscan by any of my receivers (Openbox S10 and Manhattan, especially). That's why I'm trying to push for a more accurate blind scan option with the Manhattan while the developer seems interested in features/improvements so a lot of those can be picked up and won't rely on me having to use my own manual labor to find them.

Well I just did an "accurate scan" with the Openbox on 99w C band and it scanned in RPS Puebla TV3 with a 1562 symbol rate. That is the only 1562 it got though. It found several 3254 SR's. If there was a way to make it blind scan transponders for just another second or 2 longer I think it would get everything.

Well I just did an "accurate scan" with the Openbox on 99w C band and it scanned in RPS Puebla TV3 with a 1562 symbol rate. That is the only 1562 it got though. It found several 3254 SR's. If there was a way to make it blind scan transponders for just another second or 2 longer I think it would get everything.
You are missing three other 1562 SR signals on that transponder. My personal belief about the S9 (and the Manhattan) is that the tuning steps are too wide so that there are fewer frequencies to have to try in blind scan mode (thus a faster scan). I am not too convinced dwell time would help your S9 find the other 3 because of the tuning step thing. Decrease tunings steps and increase dwell time would be the most accurate way of doing things, but the scan would take much longer. That's why I feel it should be a user-settable option instead of a default option in a blind scan menu of options. That way, the user can determine if they want a fast overview scan or a slower accurate scan.

You are missing three other 1562 SR signals on that transponder. My personal belief about the S9 (and the Manhattan) is that the tuning steps are too wide so that there are fewer frequencies to have to try in blind scan mode (thus a faster scan). I am not too convinced dwell time would help your S9 find the other 3 because of the tuning step thing. Decrease tunings steps and increase dwell time would be the most accurate way of doing things, but the scan would take much longer. That's why I feel it should be a user-settable option instead of a default option in a blind scan menu of options. That way, the user can determine if they want a fast overview scan or a slower accurate scan.
I am ALL for user programmable steps for the blindscan settings. I've had that option in several earlier receivers and loved having the capability.
:)

Ya I manually scanned in the other 1562sr channels. The coolsat 8000 won't even manually scan in some channels because it won't wait long enough to lock them. Like FSTV on 123w. The S9 seems to at least be able to manually scan in everything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts