Low signal strength; Box, Antenna, or Network?

pabasap

Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
I have voom v6.1 and receive all but one local station(ch 18). Signal strength is up to low 70's in best antenna position(which is in garage attic). Now, through voom box I get SD broadcasts when network is not broadcasting in HD for all other stations(except 18). I can get ch 18 through the tv's analog receiver perfectly though when I switch the input. All signals come from same antenna feed. Could this be a problem with the box since my tv is able to get a strong clear picture?

Not sure if I understood you correctly...
VOOM box does not have an analog tuner in it. Only digital (HD or SD).
It doesn't matter if the analog signal is strong: the box cannot tune to it!
It is possible that the analog channel comes in strong, but there might be no digital version of it, or the digital signal is not strong enough for the box. Hope this answers your question.

Ilya said:
Not sure if I understood you correctly...
VOOM box does not have an analog tuner in it. Only digital (HD or SD).
It doesn't matter if the analog signal is strong: the box cannot tune to it!
It is possible that the analog channel comes in strong, but there might be no digital version of it, or the digital signal is not strong enough for the box. Hope this answers your question.

So if the local broadcast is sent out in digital(either SD or HD) and analog, that would explain why the analog tv receiver gets a great picture(probably a stronger signal), while the voom receiver wont lock on to the digital signal(a weaker signal admittedly by the local broadcast station). So it probably is not the voom receivers problem. So maybe I should try a different antenna.(I already have a signal amp)

FAYRICH said:
You can try - but sometimes it is just a losing battle trying to pull in the weaker stations. Are you using RG6 cable?

Yes RG-6 quadshield.

FAYRICH said:
What pre-amp are you using?

Magnavox 12dB into 60-70 ft of coax. Oh, and the antenna is actually a magnavox w/ 80 mi uhf, 200 mi vhf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)