Low Signal Strength on 61.5??

hobie16

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
USA (Full time RV'er
There is a change in the signal levels I receive from the 61.5 sat. I have a 1K.4 EA set up to a 722K. The dish is peaked to 72.7 and I consistently get signal levels in the 40-50 on all TP's. 61.5 was peaked using the skew ring. On 61.5 I get 30-40 on some TP's but others are 10-15 points lower. I experienced LOS on 61.5 in a storm last night but 72.7 was still strong. I have an absolute clear line of sight and rigid base mount. When I first installed this dish I recall that the 61.5 signals were lower that the 72.7 but generally in the upper 30's. I expect some variation in TP levels but mine seem excessive (example TP32-35%, TP6-19%, TP4-30%).
Have the recent satellite realignments I read about in other posts caused this variability or am I having a problem with my LNB/install?

My case is different. My 72.7 is in the 30's and 61.5 is in the upper 50's. but then again, I'm in Los Angeles which is not meant for the Eastern Arc. The lowest I have is 28's on TP6 on 71.5. That goes down to 21's at the least during cloudy rainy days. I'm fine with that.

In my opinion, you should tweak till you get the 61.5 higher and 72.7 a little lower. that should do the trick. I did the same and didn't bother about 77 but that came in fine as well. Don't need 77 at all though.

I found that making 61.5 higher should have little to no effect on 72.7 - - - thus your idea should work well.

It seems my receiver has some lag - - - so give it just a bit of time in between each tiny adjustment.

Best of success!

61.5 and 72.7 are the only two being utilized on the Eastern Arc. Your levels should be from the mid 40's to low 50's on 72.7 and there should be no reason why you shouldn't be able to get 61.5 in the low to mid 50's. I install Dish Network for an RSP in PA and this is generally what we are looking for on these sats. I usually tune 61.5 utilizing TP 22 on my Super Buddy.

I don't quite understand what I can change to effect the 61.5 signal other than the skew ring. If the antenna mount is plum and 72.7 is peaked for azimuth and elevation than 61.5 should only need skew setting. I don't have a meter, when I did this install I set up a small TV and the receiver next to my antenna mount and watched the internal signal meter program to peak the settings. I will go back and check that the mount is still plumb and redo the set up from there.
The other question I asked originally was why there is a variation in signal strength between TPs on the same satellite?

The other question I asked originally was why there is a variation in signal strength between TPs on the same satellite?
The 61.5 location actually has 3 satellites. The satellites are of different ages and designs. Only E12 (the original Rainbow 1) was designed to be used at 61.5. E12 also uses spotbeams. Therefore, the TP's assigned to spotbeams will vary in strength depending on how far from their beam area that you are. On some TP's you may not receive any signal. There are also power issues with E12, so some of the TP's are not used at full power. Peak 61.5 on TP 29 as suggested and you should not have issues with 72.7.

Thanks for the responses. Today I tried to realign my 1K.4, I verified that it was plumb and peaked the 72.7 for asmuth and elevation. I still had the variations in signal level on 61.5. Since I don't know if my 1K.4 LNB is good, it is a new purchase, I decided to try a whole new unit. I got the EA.2 dish that I use when traveling in my RV and installed it. I ran a new temporary cable to the receiver, but got the same results; 72.7 TP's are all a 45-55 on signal strength and 61.5 is all over the park, TP29 is 41 while TP6 is 23. The only common items left are the separator and the reciever. The receiver does work at these levels so I guess I will just leave it alone for now.

are you sure you have a clear LOS to 61.5?

also, moving the skew ring is the worst way to sight in an EA dish

also, moving the skew ring is the worst way to sight in an EA dish

I haven't read the instructions, but I thought that was in there. 72.7 is centered on the dish, so, once it's peaked, you just adjust skew until you get a good 61.5 and you're done.

You need to set the skew and elevation to the settings for your area. The best way to peak the dish is to make fine adjustments to the elevation, not the skew. With that .2 EA dish I regularly see the 61.5 tp 29 in the mid to upper 60's in the midwest.

Just to clear up a couple of questions. I installed by first setting the skew and elevation to the listed values. Then I peaked the 72.7 signal for azimuth, fine tuned elevation for peak and then reset azimuth for peak again. At that point checked to see what 61.5 values were, loosened the skew ring and slightly move to insure I was at peak. As it turned out the indicated values for elevation and skew were exactly as predicted on Dish Pointer.
As to clear line of sight here are two pictures of my install.
IMG_2866.JPG IMG_2864.JPG
The first is my installation location (upper dish is for wireless internet); second is taken from behind to show clear line of sight out over the lake.

I see branches overhanging to the left there. It's a decent possibility you're clipping the tree. Remember that 61.5 is lower and left of the 72. If you're getting 40's and 50's on the 72 that's my best guess. What you think is clear may not be. If you have a smartphone you could get the dishpointer app, I use it every day on installs and it's been very reliable, I don't even carry my inclinometer these days.

I'd say the tree is most likely the issue.
61.5 is a lot farther to the left than the the dish is actually pointing

You guys are great!! I never would have thought that the tree on left was the cause but you were right. The only problem is that tree is my neighbor's and the branch thats causing the occlusion is about 40 feet up and out over the water. I would need a bucket truck to get down. I chose the easier route. I lowered the dish mount about a foot and now shoot under the branch. 61.5 is now 40-50. Thank again for all the input!!

Also are those dishes mounted on the tree in the photo? If so I'd get them off there and put a mast or a couple of masts in. You might be plumb now, but that would be hard to tell when you are trying to put a level against the surface of a tree which is not flat, but as the tree grows who knows what that is going to do to your alignment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)