Low signal strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigjotto316

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
What's the absolute lowest signal strength that you could be at and still have a good, solid picture when watching locals? I've been testing different dma satellite and transponder strengths and the one id like to switch to I'm getting a solid 40 signal strength, which I know is low but is it good enough to still receive hd locals?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

signal strength will not affect the quality of the picture either way. 40's is way too low. you need to at least get it into the 80's. but this depends what transponder on what satellite you're looking at. what local channels and for what area are you referring to?

Last edited:
So you want to "move" to another DMA in order to receive those locals, right?
This may work, but will most likely be affected more by rain fade.

40 is too low. When we had some heavy wet snow so the dish got obstructed the SD locals would work down to about 45 or so...HD locals had to be minimum of 50-53 or so.

yeah you would easily lose signal to bad weather at such a low strength.

signal strength will not affect the quality of the picture either way. 40's is way too low. you need to at least get it into the 80's. but this depends what transponder on what satellite you're looking at. what local channels and for what area are you referring to?

I'm looking at Cincinnati Ohio. I'm currently in erie pa. I "moved" to Columbus last year and got no signal whatsoever on the hd channels. I checked the Cincinnati signal strength and as I said it was in the 40's. Columbus I was getting a solid 0 which is extremely odd considering I am closer to columbus.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I usually look for 80s +, however, if for some reason I cant, ill look at 65 and up and know that it will have rain fade issues....

Status
Please reply by conversation.