Lower signal strengths....

FredC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hello again all. Once more I am here to ask a silly question (though not as dumb as the DSL comment :eek: ) and possibly learn something. Here we go....

Had an upgrade done. A DP Quad installed in place of a Leg Quad. Two lines run to a DPP 44 switch, 2 lines run directly to a 522. From the DPP44, 1 line to a 625, one to a 510 and one to a 508. Before the upgrade, my signal strengths were, at the low end 85-90, with some over 120 (both on 119 & 110) on multiple transponders. Since the upgrade, the best I'm getting is 108 on either sat (although the spotbeams still come in at 125) but on some transponders I'm only getting 50-55 :eek: . I never had anything that low.

Up on the roof I go, check to make sure all is tight, try to use the signal bar to tweek it up a bit. No dice. Transponder 19 on sat 119 started at 98 and finished on 99.

The big quastion: Will I see a lower signal on all the receivers because of the DPP44 switch setup? Is it true that the dual receivers cause a lower signal to show (That's what the installer told me! :rolleyes: )? Any help/advice you can give would be appriciated! Thanks again. :D

The dual tuners do show lower readings. Before the upgrade what receivers you have? What receivers are you comparing?

The 311s, 301s and 5xxs show at least 10 or more points higher than the dual tuners.

I had the 522, 508 and 510 before the upgrade. I'm comparing them all really. I put the 522, both receivers on the sat signal, then the 510 on sat signal, and they were within a point or two of each other.
Am I being parinoid?? The pic quality has not really changed , although I've noticed some pix on the 522 at times. I'm just thinking about the coming spring T-storms. I would get rain fade ONLY in REALLY BAD T-Storms, and just want to keep it that way!

I don't think you are paranoid, you just want to make sure you are getting the best signal; however, I think you are.

It sounds like you are getting good signals, probably 125 on a direct spotbeam, but maybe the lower signals of 50-55 are on spotbeams that you are on the edge of reception or even outside the desired reception area.

With extra connections, I could see signals going through the DPP44 having a slight drop. Using the same receiver and changing from 120 to 108 is not bad.

Since the DP Quad has 2 lines going to the basement and into the DPP44, you could remove these 2 lines and feed directly into your 625, 510, and/or 508 and take a reading there, and compare it with going through the DPP44.

If the same, then I guess your DP Quad has less signal strength than the Legacy Quad did. Maybe it is half of a red hair off, such that, if someone just slightly pushed up or sidewides on the LNBF, the signal would change.

Another thing to consider is if connectors were replaced. There could be a bad one somewhere in there but if no connectors were replaced I don't see why a DP Quad will show less signal strength than a Legacy quad.

RandallA,
Thanks for the answers! I'll try going directly to the 510 without the DPP44 and see what I get.. Thanks again!

I just installed a 522 with a dish pro quad and my signals are about 10 off of the 508 and 510 they are down to 60 most transponders . I have a twin that seems to have better signal .. how low of a signal can i get and the picture still comes in ?Are there any switches that can make the signal stronger?

RandallA,
Thanks for the answers! I'll try going directly to the 510 without the DPP44 and see what I get.. Thanks again!

Actually SmityWhity made the recommendation. Credit where is due.

You can still get signal when it's down to 45 but it will pixelate. You want at least 70 because if it's raining the signal will drop 30+ and you will lose the signal.

You need to repeak your dish, we don't believe there's a better switch or better lnb that will give you better readings. In case of the OP, something changed. A connector, a break in cable, lose fittings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts