LPB on 87W Ku STRONG!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
The last couple of times I've switched on LPB on 87W, its DVB-S2 quality is bouncing up to 40% on my S9 including right now. This is strong in my experience for this station. KTEL is also strong now. Previously 20~25% would be strongest for LPB, and even 15% or so was nice and watchable. Curious if this is conditions, or maybe due to the final leaves of autumn falling off my trees. I've always wondered if those high unreachable leaves were partially blocking my dish's view. In the spring, I considered using my slingshot to take each leaf out one-by-one but my neighbours already think I'm strange.

I checked mine about 1/2 hour ago. I am getting good signal quality of 64-71 on the MicroHD. The signal is better than before, I'll take that! Just letting you know!

The last couple of times I've switched on LPB on 87W, its DVB-S2 quality is bouncing up to 40% on my S9 including right now. This is strong in my experience for this station. KTEL is also strong now. Previously 20~25% would be strongest for LPB, and even 15% or so was nice and watchable. Curious if this is conditions, or maybe due to the final leaves of autumn falling off my trees. I've always wondered if those high unreachable leaves were partially blocking my dish's view. In the spring, I considered using my slingshot to take each leaf out one-by-one but my neighbours already think I'm strange.

Yep. Bouncing up to the mid forties from it's normal low 30's. Better video lock that's for sure. KTEL also a bit stronger, maybe 5-10 points. S9/30inch/cheapo LNBF

Rumour has it, that SES2 was supposed to locate to 103w. Maybe they're testing it for when it moves. They may also have decided to up the power, considering the Lukens are now compressing more channels on that bird.

The last couple of times I've switched on LPB on 87W, its DVB-S2 quality is bouncing up to 40% on my S9 including right now. This is strong in my experience for this station. KTEL is also strong now.

But are you getting the Florida Channel???
mikelib

On the system I've just setup at home here in central AR, I'm receiving LPB with an 85% quality on my MicroHD, Primestar 1.0M and an SL1PLL LNBF. During the storms that came through on Sunday, it dropped down to around 75%.

On a side note, I'd like to thank the forum as a whole for the great info it provides :first: I've been a long-time reader and just recently put all the pieces together to set up the KU equipment. Still fine-tuning, but that's part of the fun!

Here on the edge of nowhere, I have never received Florida Channel, though I've tried in past. Are microHD readings typically higher than S9, or is everybody truly getting a stronger signal?

I am receiving the LPB around Q70 was able to watch Julia Child reruns on the Create channel, the Florida Channel was received but pixelating. Definitly SQ is stronger here in South New Jersey.

Florida channel comes in ONLY with clear skies and low humidity here @ 48N 97W. Still weak, but usually pretty good[1]. (Haven't seen the sun for 3 weeks, except for a few seconds @ sunrise or sunset) [1]30inch CM dish/generic-cheapo LNBF
microHD Q seems to be higher. Probably because of it's superior tuner. Also read that it gets many that were previously 'borderline' on a S9-10-12-etc.

Even here in North Georgia, with my 90 cm dish and cheap lnbf, the Florida Channel isn't that reliable. Yes, I get it about 90% of the time, but 70% of that time I experience some level of pixelation or signal drop. Quality on the microHD usually averages 35% here. As mentioned, calm and clear skies seem to bring it in a bit better. That being said, it's still usually more reliable than Tijuana or Expande on Satmex 5 / 116.8W. Really more on par with FSTV on 123W: usually there, but almost always pixelated and weak :)

On my microHD, I get the Florida Channel with a level of 90% and a quality fluctuating between 60-70% (no clouds, slight breeze) and occasional pixellation. I can't comment on the jump in signal quality on LPB as I just got the P* dish mounted on a pole last week (prior to that it was just propped up on the ground--I'll have to find the pictures for comparison).

I just performed a comparison between the microHD and my IV-200 on the DVB-S transponders on 87 (same receive path as listed above, just swapped out receivers). As reported by the stbs:

IV-200:
KTEL 12009H - Lvl 86 Q 90
MTA 11736V - Lvl 89 Q 94
Patient Ch 11716H - Lvl 89 Q 100
BBerg 11723H - Lvl 89 Q 93

microHD:
KTEL 12009H - Lvl 90 Q 71
MTA 11737V - Lvl 90 Q 76
Patient Ch 11717H - Lvl 90 Q 71
Bberg 11724H - Lvl 90 Q 71

All of the channels are perfectly watchable on both boxes.

What is the transponder information you are getting (Florida) on. I just wanted to double check mine. Thanks!

On my microHD, I get the Florida Channel with a level of 90% and a quality fluctuating between 60-70% (no clouds, slight breeze) and occasional pixellation. I can't comment on the jump in signal quality on LPB as I just got the P* dish mounted on a pole last week (prior to that it was just propped up on the ground--I'll have to find the pictures for comparison).

I just performed a comparison between the microHD and my IV-200 on the DVB-S transponders on 87 (same receive path as listed above, just swapped out receivers). As reported by the stbs:

IV-200:
KTEL 12009H - Lvl 86 Q 90
MTA 11736V - Lvl 89 Q 94
Patient Ch 11716H - Lvl 89 Q 100
BBerg 11723H - Lvl 89 Q 93

microHD:
KTEL 12009H - Lvl 90 Q 71
MTA 11737V - Lvl 90 Q 76
Patient Ch 11717H - Lvl 90 Q 71
Bberg 11724H - Lvl 90 Q 71

All of the channels are perfectly watchable on both boxes.

My micro shows transponder 12044 Vertical with a symbol rate of 3199 for the Florida Channel.

meters vary on all receivers...Even same "name"

GeosatPro 200 locks a signal at 40 on Saturday (AMC7)
Geosat Micro shows it at 57-58

The older Pansats lock threshold at 30...newer ones (9200) locks threshold at 40

Yeah...I wasn't placing much stock in the comparison, just thought the large difference in Q values was interesting. I want to put the P* LNBF back in place and compare it to the SL1 PLL. When the dish was still on the ground, I initially pointed it to 97W with the Avenger and when I put the P* back in I saw an increase in signal strength and quality. Figured it was the P* feedhorn..the Avenger is so short that I can't optimize it for that dish with the original P* clamp. I put the SL1 PLL on just before I put it on the pole to troubleshoot an issue with LPB on 87W (tune to it, the 50% of the time suffer pixelation for a few seconds to a few minutes, then lose the signal and reacquire it full strength). The change didn't make a difference on that problem, but I didn't note the strength and quality at the time of the swap.

Thanks balock.

I am thinking it may be a little tweaking on my lnb I need to do. I am using the SL1PLL. By the way, what is good to watch on the Forida Channel?

My micro shows transponder 12044 Vertical with a symbol rate of 3199 for the Florida Channel.

I don't know yet :) , but I'm sure just about anyone else on the forum knows more than I do. Between only having the system operational for a month or two, just recently putting the dish on a pole and travel for work, I've spent very little time watching that channel. It's mainly governmental shows---state legislature, public interest, etc., with maybe a sprinkle of tourism info thrown in? Right now they're showing the Florida Elections Commission meeting live. Their website has a schedule on it as well as video feeds, etc. http://thefloridachannel.org

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)