LPB/PBS No Signal

adk46er

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Adriondack Mts, NY
I used to watch PBS on 87w LPB. LPB no longer has a signal. Other transponders on 87w are
fine. I can not receive PBS on 125w due to the forest. Is there any other bird where I can find PBS
aedk46r

Just checked and LPB PBS mux is still active on that satellite. Maybe time for a dish tweaking? ;)
Probably wouldn't help, unless you have a large dish and have lost it. Signal has been gone for me on my 75e for more than two weeks, and had been reduced for a bit before then (sometimes in/sometimes gone). Even LPB LATV feed, which use to be as strong as Patient Channel now is sometimes there (very reduced signal) and sometimes gone. All other signals on 87W have had no reduction and most are 80 and above (one at 100) on the AZBox. Possibly they have a reduced link budget (sort of similar to Montana PBS on 125W, which use to be strong, now can't get it at all).

There is a thread over at LegitFTA about it.

Probably wouldn't help, unless you have a large dish and have lost it. Signal has been gone for me on my 75e for more than two weeks, and had been reduced for a bit before then (sometimes in/sometimes gone). Even LPB LATV feed, which use to be as strong as Patient Channel now is sometimes there (very reduced signal) and sometimes gone. All other signals on 87W have had no reduction and most are 80 and above (one at 100) on the AZBox. Possibly they have a reduced link budget (sort of similar to Montana PBS on 125W, which use to be strong, now can't get it at all).

Indeed, when I did my LNBF review a few weeks ago, I was getting around 10 dB on LPB, yesterday I was getting 5.5 with intermittent lock, today I'm getting no lock at all. That's with a 90 cm FortecStar. Let's hope it's just a temporary problem. As for Montana I get it only if the weather is clear and cold (monimizing thermal noise and atmosperic attenuation. That's a bit depressing when we used to get those quite reliably.

Reactions: Keith Brannen
Indeed, when I did my LNBF review a few weeks ago, I was getting around 10 dB on LPB, yesterday I was getting 5.5 with intermittent lock, today I'm getting no lock at all. That's with a 90 cm FortecStar. Let's hope it's just a temporary problem. As for Montana I get it only if the weather is clear and cold (monimizing thermal noise and atmosperic attenuation. That's a bit depressing when we used to get those quite reliably.
Thanks to all who replied. I tried looking for LPB on 99W. No Joy. I used to get a beautiful picture on LPB 87W, then the quality/strength started to go down. Finally to nothing, no lock. For me,
FTA is not a hobby, but my sole means of TV unless you want to pay big bucks and subscribe to one of the providers. I don’t watch TV enough for a subscription to be affordable. Being deep in the forest i.e. Trees, I am limited on what Sats I can get. Oh well, I can get my news on the web and spend more time with ham radio. Thanks again
adk46er

Thanks to all who replied. I tried looking for LPB on 99W. No Joy. I used to get a beautiful picture on LPB 87W, then the quality/strength started to go down. Finally to nothing, no lock. For me,
FTA is not a hobby, but my sole means of TV unless you want to pay big bucks and subscribe to one of the providers. I don’t watch TV enough for a subscription to be affordable. Being deep in the forest i.e. Trees, I am limited on what Sats I can get. Oh well, I can get my news on the web and spend more time with ham radio. Thanks again
adk46er

You could always get a bigger dish.. a 1.2 meter should get you covered.

Reactions: FTA4PA
...I used to get a beautiful picture on LPB 87W, then the quality/strength started to go down...
Very occasionally LPB channels used to be off-the-air to allow a local New Orleans community broadcast on 11804 H 1250 on 87W Ku. Always check back another time. And a 1m dish at my location on the east coast was always sufficient to receive LPB. If no FTA signal, there's always FT8!

Keith: I just after 15 moving from Ontario-Canada back to Austin-Texas I have been suffering nightmares because I cannot get a fix on my 39" Ku Universal LNB/OpenBox S9 on AMC 21.
DO you have the specs for me to enter the strongest transponder on AMC21/PBS to fix my antenna?
Any support will be appreciated, almost giving up here with that dish on the roof and very steep pitch.
Thanks

Strongest signal on 125W is the PBS mux at 12180 V 30000. It is coming in at 82% on my AZBox on my 80cm dish so it is fairly strong. You shouldn't have any problem getting it on a 39 inch dish.
Is your dish fixed or on a motor? Can you take a small TV and your receiver (or a line out to the TV) out to the dish (or close by) where you can see the signals while moving the dish?

EDIT: I see you already have a thread started about your attempt to get 125W, so will confine my comments to it: Finding what Satellite I have the Dish presently

adk46er
Are you saying that you are in a "white area" with no terrestrial OTA TV available?

And for FTA, these days, that would limit your English-language programming pretty much to Louisiana and Montana PBS, maybe some wild feeds, and religious networks. PBS would get you at least the national and world news every night (PBS NewsHour), and undeniably quality programming, but it's not the same as a full panoply of channels.

I'm an FTA newbie (just got some old leftover equipment the other day, dish, LNBs, Coolsat 4000 box), so maybe there's a part of this that I'm not seeing. Hope to put up my dish (1.2 meter) in the next few days. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for this forum. I may have to tear down my neighbor's house to get a better shot, but she's pretty nice, I'm sure she won't mind :biggrin

Yes, your correct, no terrestrial tv signal available, no cell phone signal available. Up until about a year ago my only internet was 24K dial up. Then they ran fiber optic up the mountain. Now I have super fast internet, so fast I have to oil my computer each day. Back to FTA, last summer I started to receive LPB again with a nice signal, also now am able to receive PBS on 99w with a beautiful signal, and I did nothing to make it work. HF ham radio and Ham Satellites as well as EME are not effected by my remote location
Paul