Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I know back in April 2013 this came up about Luken feeds possibly leaving well now its pretty much confirmed...they are leaving at the end of the month

Original thread from April
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/309476-Luken-KU-feeds-leaving-soon

Word was it was suppose to be shut off on 1/10
http://rbr.com/luken-abruptly-cuts-ku-feed-to-affiliates/
An affiliate tipped us off: Luken Communications on 1/9 at 2PM ET sent all affiliates of their networks a short email that said as of today (1/10) their satellite Ku feed (they’ve had a combo feed of both the Ku and C band) of TuffTV, RetroTV and PBJ TV will cease and they will only be able to get them on the C-band.

But I guess they waited for some affiliates to set up C-Band

Then we heard rumblings of the end of month...now confirmed from an owner of a low powered station
http://wleptv.com/2014/01/wlep-to-lose-rtv-pbj-and-tuff-tv-feeds-jan-31st/

I just found out that Luken Communiations (parent company for RTV, PBJ, and Tuff TV) will be pulling the satellite feeds I receive at the end of this month. I’m sorry for the short notice but I did not hear anything from the network until just today. It would require a rather large investment to continue to receive their programming and these are funds that I do not have.

This has nothing to do with the C-Band feeds...only the KU feeds on 83W. So if you are KU only get the viewing of the channels while you can

Last edited:
sorry the thread looks goofy with the links and stuff but wanted to show the full story. :)

Great! Now if I want to get those I have to hope that 6 foot for 87w is good enough. I don't know if I can get 137w

I also notice those c band ones are mpeg 4/hd. So great that will be well over 200 bucks to even get certain channels again.

One more reason to go BUD hunting. This and so much more on C-Band.

I agree. But there are folks who cant go C-Band due to various reasons. If I had a deck here at the apartment I'd be KU only

Great! Now if I want to get those I have to hope that 6 foot for 87w is good enough. I don't know if I can get 137w

6 footer is iffy. At least it was when I had my 6 footer a year ago
137 worked better for me (and I'm in MN)

I also notice those c band ones are mpeg 4/hd. So great that will be well over 200 bucks to even get certain channels again.

$200? They are DVB-S2 (the only one in HD is Heartland formerly TNN) so as long as the receiver does DVB-S2 you'll be fine. You can find them for under $100

$200? They are DVB-S2 (the only one in HD is Heartland formerly TNN) so as long as the receiver does DVB-S2 you'll be fine. You can find them for under $100

I do need a c band dish, so thats where I guesstimate I will need to spend at least 200 something dollars

If I had the space...there are a few 10-12footers left on top of bars and motels to be had. As I mentioned before, in the middle of the city, high hedges and limited backyard space... its a 6footer or bust.

I could, technically, rotate the shed and slid it a bit one way to conceal an 8ft but that's too much of a pain in the ass.

Hey Ice.. I feel for you. Moving into a new pad without FTA yet still support this section.... that would drive me nuts smelling the cake but cant eat it.

Actually I miss the bad ass antennas I had on the roof and picking up distant stations.

What I really miss FTA are those oddball sporting events with "backhills" broadcasters. I use to watch North Dakota hockey games but since they got scrambled that wouldnt work.
I miss those goofy WYMT (Hazard, KY) announcers who are just good old boys having fun announcing a basketball game.

Since I was mainly KU Band other than sports I really didnt watch much. From March until August it would get used every now and then. If I go through the sats alot of the channels are on Roku
The one KU channel I wish I could get was Cozi

I used to have a Sadoun 6ft dish up, tuned very well, and with a SatAv C2 lnbf, I couldn't lock signals on 87w for Luken. I then changed to an orthomode feedhorn and good lnbs. I still could NOT keep the Luken channels locked on 87w, but they did come in and were partially watchable. I then changed out the 6 footer for a Perfect Ten 10 ft dish with the orthomode feedhorn moved over, and 87w stays locked just fine. All that was in the earlier times before they changed transponders and tweaked stuff around. Not sure if a 6 footer has a chance now, but I'd say it's still iffy. It's just as much work to install a 6 foot dish as to install a 10 ft dish, so why not go for the GOLD the first time?

I have a 6ft Sadoun and have been able to get the 87W Luken channels most of the time the last couple of months. Before that they were iffy. Not sure if the improved reception has been on my end or theirs. I think the trees around here losing there leaves helped and it seems on colder days I have better reception, so I may lose them in the spring.

I was told a few months ago that they had improved signal on the uplink side on 87W, so it was probably on Luken's end.

- Trip

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)