Lyngsat & Digicipher 2 on a FTA receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
Hello.

I am considering getting into FTA, just really not sure I want to spend the $$ for something that I may or may not even like.

I was looking at lyngsat for listings under Free TV and several items in the list show Digicipher 2 to the far right where many say DVB. If it shows Digicipher 2 wouldn't that be an indication that it is NOT actually FREE?

Thanks!

no, now feeds can be FTA using dc II. it would be a question if it is scrambled or not. in a way it's like dvb feeds but you don't get the dvb type receivers for DC II feeds. the DSR 905 Motorola allowed you to tune to an unmapped channel unlike the DSR 920 & 922. I use a commercial DC II receivers which require tuning to that one channel, one at a time though. I have tuned to MC, C Band Talk, Knowledge Network, Access TV, etc. there are a few DC II feeds but it's nothing like doing a dvb FTA hobby.

Last edited:
Welcome glen
FTA is a fun hobby and the programming on g10r is really enjoyable.
I recommend you go to the titan tv site and start a free account, enter the stations that you are interested in and check their programming. And there's the added benefit of feeds. watching the men and women mess up and talk about what's messed up in their lifes. I caught one lady talking about her date from hell, I guess she forgot that because your not on the air right then dosn't mean someones not watching you:D
If you want to start off without a large investment get a old superdish and replace the lnb. Or a primestar works great. There all around the neighborhoods.
You can get a fortec classic for a good price.
Start off small and work your way up.
If you have any questions feal free to ask, there's alot of very knowledgeable people here.
rdel

Last edited:
glen4cindy said:
Hello.

I am considering getting into FTA, just really not sure I want to spend the $$ for something that I may or may not even like.

I was looking at lyngsat for listings under Free TV and several items in the list show Digicipher 2 to the far right where many say DVB. If it shows Digicipher 2 wouldn't that be an indication that it is NOT actually FREE?

Thanks!
Some of those DCII clear channels are channels that you can watch 'free' on a 4DTV that is activated. On my 4DTV I'm subscribed to Starz \ Showtime and the guide but I can watch MUCH more than the channels I'm subscribed to. There are PBS channels, WealthTV, and other channels that are definately available in the clear. Some of what Lyngsat shows as DCII clear is tunable with a 4DTV.

Great! Thanks for all the responses!

I've thought about driving about looking for a Primestar dish. If I were to go that route, how difficult would it be to correctly attach a proper LNB to it? From what i know about Dish and Direct, proper LNB placement is paramount to getting ANY signal at all.

Thanks!

the Primestar lnb has a LO freq. of 10.750 which is standard for standard ku feeds. I would prefer the round ones if you can find one. I use two round ones at work. I receive The Pentagon Channel off of AMC 1 ku with one of them and I receive WSBK off of F1R ku with the other.

Pretty easy to replace the LNB, but some members have struggled understanding that the LNB has to be at the EXACT same height and distance from the dish as the original LNB.

I crack open my LNB's and use the 20mm neck to get the exact focal position.

Best idea is to leave the feedhorn that comes with the dish in place and replace the LNB only with one of the Low Noise Invacom LNB's

You will never get Digi II on a FTA receiver but there is still a plethora of FTA channels available up there!

Attachments

• Pict0114.JPG
    Pict0114.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Some more close ups of a regular LNBF modified to fit a PrimeStar dish........

Attachments

• Pict0121.JPG
    Pict0121.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Pict0120.JPG
    Pict0120.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 398
Ok I have a question regarding all this, and please excuse the N00bie type nature to it.

I have a Pansat 3500s which has an IF through/out on the back of it. Would is be possible to take a cable from this through/out and push it into the IF in of a 4DTV receiver?

yes that will work

you will only get the same polarity as what the Pansat is on (unless the Pansat is powered off)

I'm glad this question about DCII came up, because I was going to ask about this.

I get into a habit of looking at the happy yellow colour scheme on Lyngsat that tells me that it's "digital/clear" in the Ku range and therefore all is right with the world. But when I took a second look at some of the DCII PBS channels it made me wonder if I'd be able to get them on an FTA receiver. Now I know I won't.

I guess longer term, I'll keep my eye open for an old used 4DTV receiver, but I think for the most part they are pricey so that may never happen.

Drive around looking for old beat up BUD's, they are usually a goldmine of free C-band equipment. Thats how I got both my 2750's and my 4DTV.

Keep in mind on the 4DTVs that you'll need to be able to hit G1-3 (Galaxy 15 c-band) for the guide and you can get your authorizations there too. I've been told you can get the 'hits' / authorization if you are on the sat that the channels you need to sub to are on but every time I've done it NPS has had me swing to G1-3.

Without the authorization the 4DTV is an very expensive analog receiver.

Oops, I forgot I had a question to ask.

Without the authorization the 4DTV is an very expensive analog receiver

So does this mean that if I bought a used DSR-905 and slaved it to an FTA receiver, but I only have a 36" dish, that I won't be able to access any DCII unencrypted channels/audio?

I have the opportunity to pick one up, but I don't want to put the cart ahead of the donkey (blocks the line of sight) :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)