Lyngsat & Digicipher 2 on a FTA receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If the 905 has been previously authorized, you will probably be able to get any unencrypted channel or any fixed key channel. There are some on X4 (G4) ku. The problem will be getting channel maps and the programming guide. If the channels aren't already mapped, you can't watch them. If there are some already mapped, chances are you won't have all of them, unless the 905 has been used recently. There have been a ton of changes made with-in the last 6 months. To get maps or get them updated, you will need to go to G1 (G15) channel 3 C-band to do this. As far as I know, it can't be done on ku-band yet. Although a large number of movie channels were recently put on X4, I haven't seen a provider that's providing them yet. Maybe if that happens we will be able to start doing this on ku-band, it would certainly ease a lot of headache's. If you know someone with a C-band dish, you could always take it over and borrow it to update the maps. It won't do for the program guide, because when you lose power (to take it back home) it kills the guide.

Al

voomvoom said:
If the 905 has been previously authorized, you will probably be able to get any unencrypted channel or any fixed key channel. There are some on X4 (G4) ku. The problem will be getting channel maps and the programming guide.

Al

What is the significance of maps on a 4DTV receiver if you're not subscribed? If I can buy a used 905 that had a subscription in the past and slave it to an FTA receiver that controls the dish motor, and all I want to do is access clear DCII channels on Ku (even if I have to manually enter the details for each channel), do I need maps?

I do have a friend that has a BUD with an analog receiver, but he's not using it anymore. Theoretically it's possible for me to hook up a 905 to load the maps, but I don't know if his dish is pointed properly so it could be a hassle.

The maps are the channels, without them, the 905 will be useless. On a 920 or 922, the maps also consist of the satellites. I've never seen a 905, but it being a sidecar and being slaved (I think) to an analog receiver, I don't think it has the satellite maps. I could be wrong? That's why these units are useless when the battery goes dead, they lose this information and you have to send it off to get it restored.
If you buy a used 905 with a previous subscription, you should be OK to do what you want. It should have maps already in it, but with recent changes, you may be missing some channels. It could also have a few channels that were relocated, in there old possition. I'm sure none of the ITC channels have relocated though. However, there are some fairly new channels that may not be included in your maps. It would depend on how recent it has been used.
Also, you need to know these units have a battery in them for the memory backup. There is no way to know how long they will last, but I think they are designed for a 10 year use? Most probably last longer, and I'm sure some didn't?
Hope this helps at least some?

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)