Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

And it looks very nice. And great strategy, sell millions and millions of iOS devices, why not tightly integrate it into OSX, and then sell more macs.

I can't wait for iMessage on my Mac- that will be sweet. And AirPlay of my Mac on the tv, very nice.

Reports are appearing that you need a pretty recent Macintosh to run OS X 10.8, at least a 2008-or-newer Mac. This could be Apple's Vista.

Hopefully, I can upgrade with the puny nVidia 7100 card in my Mac Pro.

2008 or newer isn't really that recent in computer age. On the other hand, Macs have always had a long shelf life. Maybe >2008 is recent for a Mac.

The iMessage app (or just Message) is available as a beta download from Apple. I had to upgrade to the latest (10.7.3) of Lion to install it, but it works great, AND it looks just like the iOS 5 iMessage on the iPad. Very nice. Now I can text from my computer. Now if everybody only had an iPhone it would be even better :D

2008 or newer isn't really that recent in computer age. On the other hand, Macs have always had a long shelf life. Maybe >2008 is recent for a Mac.

here are the requirements for ML, as I found:

Macs that will support OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
As usual, the newer the Mac the better:

MacBook Pro – 13? from mid 2009 or later, 15? from late 2007 and newer, 17? from late 2007 and newer
MacBook Air – late 2008 and newer
iMac – models from mid 2007 and newer
MacBook – 13? aluminum from 2008, 13? from 2009 and newer
Mac Mini – early 2009 and newer
Mac Pro – early 2008 models and newer
XServe – early 2009 models and newer
Macs that are NOT expected to support OS X Mountain Lion
Older Macs and those with weaker GPU’s will likely be left behind:

Anything with an Intel GMA 950 or x3100 integrated graphics card
Anything with an ATI Radeon X1600
MacBook models released prior to 2008
Mac Mini released prior to 2007
iMac models released prior to 2007
Original MacBook Air

See: OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion System Requirements

The iMessage app (or just Message) is available as a beta download from Apple. I had to upgrade to the latest (10.7.3) of Lion to install it, but it works great, AND it looks just like the iOS 5 iMessage on the iPad. Very nice. Now I can text from my computer. Now if everybody only had an iPhone it would be even better :D

is that in the mac app store?

still haven't found a justification to leave Snow leopard. My iMac is late 2008/early 2009 (bought in February just before model change), so I am not sure Mtn Lion would perform adequately. It turned out I needed to upgrade RAM to get reasonable performance out of snow leopard.

I wonder how we will be able to upgrade to it? My wife and I both use Mac Minis with no optical. Hopefully they will release it on USB stick that I can purchase somewhere.

I wonder how we will be able to upgrade to it? My wife and I both use Mac Minis with no optical. Hopefully they will release it on USB stick that I can purchase somewhere.

Uh.... through the App store... just like how you get Lion. Its a download. Why would you want to spend $69 for a USB stick to do what you can do on the internet.

here are the requirements for ML, as I found:

See: OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion System Requirements

A bit different than the list I saw.

Unfortunately, Apple has not yet officially released the system requirements for the new OS, but the developer release that is being issued to members of its Mac development community does contain a list of supported devices:

Mac (mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz, mid-2007 or later), (17-inch, late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (early 2008 or later)
Xserve (early 2009)

If either of the upgrade requirements are right, I will just make it in under the upgrade requirements. My 13" 2008 aluminum model looks to be safe for at least one more upgrade.

I wonder about the 2008 Mac Pro or later requirement. It would have to be a chipset based limitation since the graphics card can be easily upgraded. I found a pretty easy step-by-step tutorial on upgrading my Mac Pro to two quad-core Xeons, but I won't attempt that if Lion is the end of the line.

According to the lists, Mountain Lion will run on my MBA and nothing else in my house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts