Macroblocking with local HD channels with H20?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

atdbuzr

Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and just upgraded to the H20 receiver. I'm getting what looks like macroblocking consistently with only the local HD channels. All the other HD channels (HDNet, HBO, ESPNHD, etc) come in fine. Anyone have any ideas on what's causing this? Signal strength? My receiver is connect through component cables to my HP 5880n TV.

thanks,
-Jeff

Thanks for the help. As for the signal strength, for Satellite 101 (A) all the transponders showed low 70's and up except for 18 which was 34, 25 which was 0, and 28 which was 40. For the other Satellites the signal strength for the transponders were all in the 70's. One strange thing, when I tried to reset the system again, during the satellite setup it mentioned that one satellite could not be reached ( i think it was 99). I just continued with the error. I'm a completely newbie, so I hope I'm providing the info your asking for. :)

thanks,
-Jeff

This is happening on the MPEG4 channels. I have been experiencing it in the NYC market and also others have as well. Latest rumor was that a software update to the H20 may be forthcoming. Otherwise, this is a problem on D*'s end as some channels definitely look better than others.

I know in Atlanta at least some of the locals are received by DTV on an off-air antenna. This type of setup of subject to normal interference and can cause the source signal to have blocking. Your locals may be the same.

Unfortunatley, I'm comparing D*'s NY locals. The national MPEG2 channels carried by D* in the 80's channel range look better than their MPEG4 counterparts. In some cases MPEG2 looks much better than MPEG4. WCBS is all but unwatchable via MPEG4 but turn to channel 80 and the picture improves.

Yes, I'm talking about the D* local HD channels (not OTA) as well. I'm in the SF Bay Area and I'm getting blocking on all my local channels. Anyone in the SF Bay Area not getting blocking with their local channels with the new H20?

I guess I'll give D* a call and see what they say.

thanks,
-Jeff

Signals in low 70's? That sounds low to me, maybe a dish peaking issue. I would expect signals @ 88 or better.

charper1 said:
Signals in low 70's? That sounds low to me, maybe a dish peaking issue. I would expect signals @ 88 or better.

The H20 still shows signal levels considerably lower than other receives. Without looking at my receiver (I'm at work), I know that signal strength on all other receivers is 98 for 100, 98 for 110 and 100 at 119. Since other people are having the same issue, this seems to be a D* issue and not an antenna, user one. More people will have to upgrade for us to know for certain.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)