Made the Switch to Comcast

chipvideo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
All I can say is wow. The wow factor for the hd is finally in my home. I can't even begin to think how much better it looks. No more macroblocking on the hd channels. The biggest difference off the bat was how much sharper the cable hd was compared to dish. Dish has a very soft hd signal compared to cable. This is comparing the discovery hd channels as well as espn and hbo. I can even take down my OTA now.

I went with two hddvr's a cable card and a standard receiver. Total cost for everything is $65/month. I don't get the voom but everyone knows my stance on those channels. I also don't get hdnets or tnt, but tnt is going to be added this week anyway. The channels in hd that I am not getting are ones that I don't miss anyway.

People who say hdlite isn't that bad really need to look at a good quality signal to begin with. All of dish's channels are soft.

The only way dish will get me back is if they send out untouched hd sources. I spent a lot of money on my tv for one reason.

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed the softness of the CBSHD vs. the ATO CBSHD on dish. I believe it has something to do with fitting HD into an MPEG2 stream.

MPEG4 will be a big improvement, should they implement it correctly. The Apple codec H.264, for example, is amazing in HD and not very big.

I agree that HD on cable is better than dish.

But SD on cable is not. Especially many of the tier 1 and tier 2 channels I watch. They are analog, not digital, even with digital cable. And the channel organization annoys the heck out of me.

On a digital box, with a digital guide, there is no reason they can't rearrange the channels logically.

"but tnt is going to be added this week anyway" Really. Did they mention it or did you read it somewhere? Just want to know because I have the option to move to Comcast but would like to have TNTHD.

iKramerica said:
Yeah, I noticed the softness of the CBSHD vs. the ATO CBSHD on dish. I believe it has something to do with fitting HD into an MPEG2 stream.

MPEG4 will be a big improvement, should they implement it correctly. The Apple codec H.264, for example, is amazing in HD and not very big.

I agree that HD on cable is better than dish.

But SD on cable is not. Especially many of the tier 1 and tier 2 channels I watch. They are analog, not digital, even with digital cable. And the channel organization annoys the heck out of me.

On a digital box, with a digital guide, there is no reason they can't rearrange the channels logically.

I am lucky and they are sending every channel in digital in my area now. I was suruprised that even the sd channels look as good or better than dish on some channels. I would say the sd channels are pretty close.

The biggest thing I think dish has the advantage is the guide. I am so used to it. Now I have to relearn everything. Too bad they couldn't rearange the channels better. Oh well. Nothing is perfect.

RandallA said:
"but tnt is going to be added this week anyway" Really. Did they mention it or did you read it somewhere? Just want to know because I have the option to move to Comcast but would like to have TNTHD.

Actually it was free in the clear with my t.v's built in tuner a couple days ago. I then went to the message boards and people in my area were talking about it. Now its gone. Sounds like they put it up for testing to make sure it came in good. Somone confirmed it was going to be added on the 21st, but not official.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts