Made the Switch ...

Fearless

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
... from DTV to DISH. Overall I'm happier with DISH but there is something that is very annoying to me. With DTV anytime I exit a recording the DVR marks the exact point I stopped watching after switching to live or another recording. With the H3 it keeps on trucking after I switch. I did figure out that I could unnecessarily hit a series of buttons to stop playing but even after doing that when I return it starts up about 10 seconds after I stopped. If anything it should move the marker to 10 seconds earlier. This is an easily solvable software fix.

With DTV when you hit the skip button you see how much time is left in the recording. You don't with the H3.
Another easy software add is a delete all option when I'm on the page listing all the recordings of a specific show.

Another easy software add is a delete all option when I'm on the page listing all the recordings of a specific show.

You can accomplish that by deleting an entire folder on the main DVR screen, or you can delete multiples by pressing Options and then manage recording, IIRC.

Reactions: pattykay
... from DTV to DISH. Overall I'm happier with DISH but there is something that is very annoying to me. With DTV anytime I exit a recording the DVR marks the exact point I stopped watching after switching to live or another recording. With the H3 it keeps on trucking after I switch. I did figure out that I could unnecessarily hit a series of buttons to stop playing but even after doing that when I return it starts up about 10 seconds after I stopped. If anything it should move the marker to 10 seconds earlier. This is an easily solvable software fix.
The H3 with DishAnywhere does do that. When you go back, it will show status of remaining recording as "remote viewer" (or any Joey name). If in doubt, pause before you switch.

The H3 with DishAnywhere does do that. When you go back, it will show status of remaining recording as "remote viewer" (or any Joey name). If in doubt, pause before you switch.
I like the other way better. Didn't the VIP 722 show how much was left when you hit the skip button?

I tried hitting the pause button before switching and it didn't work. When I went back I had to start from the beginning.

I'd rather not have to unnecessarily hit the pause button twice when the bottom of the screen can easily display the timeline when I hit the skip button. My time is valuable. :)
Well it is what it is. Get up five minutes earlier every day.:D

I tried hitting the pause button before switching and it didn't work. When I went back I had to start from the beginning.
How long have you had H3? If recent, might not be cooked in enough.

Are you watching a recording that is still in progress? If so, Dish receivers behave a bit differently than DirecTV in this respect. You have to pause the playback, then either switch to a live channel (not the one being recorded) or another recording. Then, when you want to resume watching the original recording, simply highlight it in your DVR listing, and press the Play button. This works...much of the time.

Reactions: pattykay
With DTV when you hit the skip button you see how much time is left in the recording. You don't with the H3.

I never found the skip function to work particularly well on DirecTV. I always resorted to FF/RW. Since it had snap-back, like Tivo, that seemed to work the most consistently.

Just hit the cancel button and you'll get a timeline in the banner. Works on both live and playback.

Or the select button, or whatever they call the one in the middle of the arrow keys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)