MAJOR Announcement for Android XBMC STB By FridgeFTA: On Satellite Nation April 16th

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Joe will be on Satellite Nation with a big announcement next week. Below is a copy and paste from what Joe said at his site:

We have a MAJOR announcement regarding the Android XBMC Satellite STB we have been discussing for awhile now. At this point it is above top secret, our Retailers and other people "in the know" don't know.

The announcement will be made live exclusively on Satellite Nation Radio, Wednesday April 16, 2014.

And Joe is right we have no idea what this is going to be, so to find out you must tune in to the live show next week to find out!

I'd put ZERO credence into this, Joe can't figure out how to make siggy's work even with professional help!

Actually posting this to try it out. :)

I'd put ZERO credence into this, Joe can't figure out how to make siggy's work even with professional help!

Actually posting this to try it out. :)

And it worked!!! :)

Android powered FTA STB sounds intriguing although most of the existing Android boxes haven't been without issue running XBMC. Is this new FTA receiver running as an Android app or as an XBMC plugin? Guess time will tell.

Android powered FTA STB sounds intriguing although most of the existing Android boxes haven't been without issue running XBMC. Is this new FTA receiver running as an Android app or as an XBMC plugin? Guess time will tell.

We discussed on Satellite Nation a long time ago how this is not some plastic China turd running XBMC as a secondary or running a modded DVB-T app to do satellite. I will not tolerate some rigged up half complete China toilet. I'd recommend listening to some past SN episodes or listening in next week.

Biggest question is will it do 16 and 32 APSK?...If not what have we really gained?....Or are we just pimping out another cheap s9 or s10 for financial gain?

Last edited:
Biggest question is will it do 16 and 32 APSK?...If not what have we really gained?.

I don't know of any feeds besides an occasional ESPN feed in 32 APSK. (And I haven't seen or heard of one in awhile.)

What you gain is an all in one box that does almost everything on one box... FTA... OTA (with HD Homerun)... Netflix... SiriusXM... play games... watch Slingboxes etc. To me that is a big gain. I think I have 6 or 7 streaming boxes now... it would be so nice to have one box that can do everything. A Swiss Army Knife of receivers. That to me is a big thing.

I did not hear tonights show, so don't know if any details were released on what it can do. I am not even sure it can do 4:2:2. It might not give you more in the world of FTA then any other box can that is on the market currently...

I think from my viewpoint that this is what may be the first generation of the ultimate Cable Cutters receiver. For me its exciting. For guys who only like true FTA maybe not so much. :)

XBMC support for Android is relatively new and while I'm thrilled for it to continue to grow, its far from being as robust as the x86 versions. Recent release of Amazon Fire TV shows promise for an Android XBMC device however its still going to take some time, and yes I have one. I think its really cool to see an Android powered FTA receiver. Can you at least share whether the FTA tuner is controlled by a dedicated Android app or an XBMC plug-in?

Biggest question is will it do 16 and 32 APSK?...If not what have we really gained?....Or are we just pimping out another cheap s9 or s10 for financial gain?

Not cheap enough to go down to your level Jeff. Feel cheap even replying to this, it will not happen again.

Here is my recommendation:

LISTEN TO SATELLITE NATION 16 APR. I am not going to reveal anything of value in any thread here or at FridgeFTA or on the Amiko Americas Website. My VIPs dont have a clue what I am going to say, neither do the retailers.

Nothing is going to be posted about anything anywhere that means anything other than to listen to the show.

Joe, why not mention for us dummies, how to find satellite nation program and where? If its something I gotta have an 'app' for, never mind.

Not cheap enough to go down to your level Jeff. Feel cheap even replying to this, it will not happen again.
Whatever!!...Put something out there that has no other receiver has done in the past ( FTA Wise ) and then we have something to get excited about.

I do thank you for your effort in the FTA world Joe.

I disagree that a STB needs to support every niche format in order to be successful or innovative. How many STBs have become prematurely obsolete just because the developer/distributor didn't update firmware, provide a codec or fix a process?

A stable, reliable STB based on an Android operating system, which operates with the functions and features of any other STB would be a tremendous win in my opinion. The Android operating system opens up many options, mods, apps and widgets for the end user and hobbyist that are not available with closed source operating systems.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

I think an Android receiver *could* be very nice. It all depends how its implemented, there is more junk android products then quality ones. I use android daily and love it, but I buy quality products.

Many of us in conjunction with satellite also use ATSC, DLNA, Netflix and Hulu. Getting an all in one box that supports everything well would sell thats for sure. If its typical Chinese junk, it wont sell, simple as that.

UDL

It will be nice if it comes with a full Web browser; Most of the android boxes lack of them. I have one Logitech and one Sony DVD android based boxes and both do have full Web Browser.

I think an Android receiver *could* be very nice. It all depends how its implemented, there is more junk android products then quality ones. I use android daily and love it, but I buy quality products.
Have you checked out the videos that Joe has posted so far?

I would say it is a NICE step above GoogleTV.

While the hardware is not as fast as the new Amazon FireTV box it still looks like a great Cord Cutter box. And remember this is just the first generation of a FTA / Android box here in the USA. I can only imagine it will continue to improve. However for it to improve we need to show the makers of these boxes that they should invest their money in making better receivers for us. If there is no market and no one buys one then we will sit here while the rest of the world passes us by. I know I plan on getting one when its available. :)

Support the Hobby.

DVB-S/S2 Android boxes have been around for years - just not the best software / hardware, but enough to play around with.

I think for some new to sell, it needs a catch - does something the other units don't.
Look at the AZBox, crappy complicated interface, but did MPEG2 4:2:2 - "everyone" bought one.

To me it seems MPEG4 / H264 4:2:2 is coming of age, along with 16 / 32 apsk, and the only consumer product that can do it is a "bundle of equipment", that can seem complicated at times.
Now many will be Dish-Size Limited for 16 / 32 apsk, but for "4:2:2", either flavor - show me something new, something I can play with.

An Android FTA receiver (Qpsk / 8psk only) at a price-point of what $150 - $200, plus an additional "quality" unit to receive the Big2Small stream - it just seems to be missing something, or I am missing something?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brand loyality STACK

Bing background?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)