Major R15 issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

01ds650

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
It does not appear to have a 30 second skip! Even Dish Network has this. This to me was one of the best features of a DVR.
If Direct doesn't correct this with the dual buffer issue I'll be sending this POS back. How in the world can Direct not include that?!

FYI, The R15 has 4 RR or FF speeds so you don't need a button to advance a recording all the way to the end of the show. The 4X speeds move fast themselves. This box needs a 30 sec skip. Direct please scrap your software & bring back TiVo & quality again.

Maybe Robert from VE can twist Directs arm on this. What a joke Direct is becoming.

01ds650 said:
It does not appear to have a 30 second skip! Even Dish Network has this. This to me was one of the best features of a DVR.
If Direct doesn't correct this with the dual buffer issue I'll be sending this POS back. How in the world can Direct not include that?!

FYI, The R15 has 4 RR or FF speeds so you don't need a button to advance a recording all the way to the end of the show. The 4X speeds move fast themselves. This box needs a 30 sec skip. Direct please scrap your software & bring back TiVo & quality again.

Maybe Robert from VE can twist Directs arm on this. What a joke Direct is becoming.

01ds650,

So you have decided that just because it doesn't have a 30 sec skip button, that it is a piece of S**T, and they should take all the time and effort and money invested and throw it out ????

Most reviews I have seen, seems like a good solid unit.

I personally will wait for the HD DVR - MPEG 4 version..
If the R-15 does what some people want, then they should buy it, IF NOT, just wait, there will be other units coming.

Jimbo

Well, I've had a D* Tivo box since DSR6000 series 1, I'm thinking about 4 years. I've had 4 Tivo boxes total and I've bought them as presents. Not one of these boxes associated with D* has ever had the 30 second skip button. There was a key sequence that you could enable the box with a 30 second skip button and I tried it but never liked the feature. It's easier to skip through the commercials and stop on the other side. I was always better off this way then with the 30 second button.

I don't believe your threat of a return is going to amount to anything. So, If you really feel this way, I guess you should start boxing it up. I guess your alternative is dish. Good luck with that.

I thought we all knew the 30 second skip wasn't going to be part of DirecTV's non-Tivo DVR's. Even if you weren't aware of that, I don't think I'd call it a "Major issue". Take it back and get a DirecTivo if you really feel that strongly about it.

-JustBob

I'm sure the TV Networks paid, or at least convinced, DirecTV DVR to not have this feature.

I thought I have read in some stories that there might be some patent issues with regard to some DVR features such as 30 second skip. Isn't Dish currently in litigation with Tivo over patent infringement on some of these features. Perhaps if Dish wins their case and some of the Tivo patents get over-turned as "obvious" features, D* will add 30 skip in the future?

The UltimateTV was the first one with the 30 second. It didn't require any super secret codes to get it to work and it had its very own button on the remote. I didn't use it much. Never could get used to it. I would end up 15 seconds into the program. I'd rather FF, then play. Works perfectly!

Being an UltimateTV user, I could never embrace the Tivo. I find the whole interface clunky. eg: Several button pushed to do simple tasks. Not being able to continue viewing tv while in the menu.

My 2 R15 will be arriving this morning. From what I see with Earls reports, I will be ordering 2 more shortly. My UltimateTV's will be retired (goodbye UTV, you have served me well!) and the Tivo's will be gutted for their drives. The only worthy part of that POS.

Cheers

wishfull1 said:
The UltimateTV was the first one with the 30 second. It didn't require any super secret codes to get it to work and it had its very own button on the remote. I didn't use it much. Never could get used to it. I would end up 15 seconds into the program. I'd rather FF, then play. Works perfectly!

Being an UltimateTV user, I could never embrace the Tivo. I find the whole interface clunky. eg: Several button pushed to do simple tasks. Not being able to continue viewing tv while in the menu.

My 2 R15 will be arriving this morning. From what I see with Earls reports, I will be ordering 2 more shortly. My UltimateTV's will be retired (goodbye UTV, you have served me well!) and the Tivo's will be gutted for their drives. The only worthy part of that POS.

Cheers

What made you dump the UTV for the R15? I have 2 upgraded UTVs and weighed the cost of 9.95 a month to be much cheaper than buying new and switching to R15. UTVs are giving no problem so just checking why you did the switch. Did you just decide to dump or find a better deal on the R15? I want to grab an R15 but have to mentally justify that it will save me money in the long run. I already sent in the $100 MIR on my HDTivo so don't think DTV will give me another rebate.

Just so the OP knows, Tivo doesn't officially support the 30 second skip and it could go away at any point. Cable company DVRs don't have 30 second skip, and I wouldn't be surprised if when Tivo starts putting software on Comcast boxes, if that level of the software doesn't have 30 second skip.

JosephB said:
Cable company DVRs don't have 30 second skip...

The Motorola 6412 that I have from Comcast did have a 30 second skip feature that you could program onto a 'spare' key on the remote. Again, like the D* Tivo's feature, undocumented and could go away at any time, but it had one.

Hey...I'm with you on the 30 second skip. It's a favorite with me for sports...especially football. As long as my HD Tivos will do it and no other High Def DVR will, I'll be keeping the Tivos.

RicS said:
What made you dump the UTV for the R15? I have 2 upgraded UTVs and weighed the cost of 9.95 a month to be much cheaper than buying new and switching to R15. UTVs are giving no problem so just checking why you did the switch. Did you just decide to dump or find a better deal on the R15? I want to grab an R15 but have to mentally justify that it will save me money in the long run. I already sent in the $100 MIR on my HDTivo so don't think DTV will give me another rebate.

I really don't know?? Can't say that I have a good answer, but...the first R15's will replace the Tivo's. The second batch will replace the UTV's down the road.

Perhaps the biggest thing is bringing some sort of standard to the household. We have Hughes SDDVR's, Sony UTV's, Samsung ? and a DirecTV HD H10. All of course with different remotes, guides and quirks. Everyone in the family likes the UTV and they also like the H10. So... I think the R15 would be a good replacement. I guess we will have a family vote shortly. :D

Cheers

01ds650 said:

Thanks to forum pressure and a little pushing from yours truly, DIRECTV is developing the dual live buffers. I have also requested a 30/60 second skip. No guaranty on the 30/60 second skip, but I am hopeful.

-Robert

sshams95 said:
Robert, sorry for my ignorance....what will the dual live buffers accomplish? Would you be able to watch 2 tuners at one like UTV?

The dual live buffer enables you to watch two different channels when you select "satellite 1 or Satellite 2. I am sorry to say you can not have PIP as we did with Ultimate TV.

Ultimate TV had two decoders and two tuners. All other DIRECTV DVR's have dual tuners, but only one decoder. Hence, we can record 2 cannels as recording is done with the raw uncompressed data stream and when you watch a previously recorded show the DVR decodes the recorded stream.

-Robert

The R15 seems like a OK box once you get used to the bland D10 like interface & the tiny buttons on the remote that are hard to find in the dark. But the 30 sec skip is the best thing about my TiVo. I guess some of you are too busy watching Star Trek instead of football & never enjoy the 30 sec skip. To each his own. I don't know how some people use the 30 sec skip & wind up in the show. Better work on your reaction time between hits I guess. The other thing is that the jump back is only 6 seconds. That should be 8 or 10. Say you see or hear something & I think what did he say, by the time I grab the remote more than 6 seconds has passed. Yea, Yea I know push it twice. I'm just frustrated that Direct really dropped the ball on a couple of things. I've been with Direct since 2000, but I wouldn't make jokes about moving to Dish. My friend has Dish Network & that DVR 625 is a nice unit. In fact I'd say it's the first time my Direct stuff has been inferior to his. That is a bad feeling.

Robert do you believe that Direct will listen to concerns? Especially of those surrouding the 30 sec skip? I'd like to know whether to wait it out or send this overrated unit back. What's really bad is that all Directs future upgrades are centered around this thing & not the TiVo. Direct had the Benchmark & gave it up, I just don't get that.

So, what does that mean, Star Trek doesn't have commercials? Oh no, I guess you meant that there are a bunch of geeks that watch Star Trek and love commercials as opposed to how cool you are that you watch sports.

Well, I don't watch Star Trek. I do watch sports and other things and I use the fast forward button. I can't believe people are inept and can't stop when the show comes on. Or maybe you don't get to work the remote so much cause your wife has it all the time. Personally I like the fact that it's only a 6 second back button, because I usually hit it and it goes back too far, but then I don't have the slow reaction time of having to ask my wife to hit the button. :D :D

Just kiddin 01ds650!

When I was complaining to D* about the lack of the 6.2 upgrade for the HD10-250, I recieved a call from a D* tech who helped develope the menus on the new DVR's. When I asked him about the lack of some of the features we had become used to ie: 30 second skip etc, he said that just because the 1st generation DVRs don't have these features does not mean that future generation units won't. He went on to say that D's effort is to "mirror" the features that the exsisting DVRs have. Maybe they just haven't figured out a way to do it without patent issues with Tivo. Just a thought.--Ray

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts