Major SatelliteGuys FIOS Rumor!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
MidtownTVguy said:
There are serious credibility issues with these claims. It sounds more like someone's wishlist. Perhaps they will pick up the Voom HD nets, but who cares? Rainbow is willing to give that crap to anyone who will carry it. Verizon can't even get their programming deals completed with the likes of Disney, Viacom & Fox. And there is no way In Demand is going to provide anything exclusive to Verizon--In Demand is owned by Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cox.

And NFL is tied-up with DirecTV on an exclusive basis. Period.

Oh and next time you don't check your facts and call somebody like me out try and do this so I'll reply between midnight and 6am. Out of all the times for me to read and reply to this you picked the worst because its 11am on Sunday morning right before a Bucs game and this means that I'm all revved up and my thinking cap is full force.

Now just keep what I said in mind and also remember that I'm a very nice guy and I always respect others opinions while also asking others when I don't know. I'm not out to get you but just be carefull who you call it on what forums because I'm pretty much one of the nicest you will get. A few people on other sites would have done much worse. Also welcome to satelliteguys and I hope you do stay and enjoy this site.

Also I'll be glad to hear your views of why something won't happen but say why and not just it won't. Well its about time I iced down my fingers because boy they are hurting me right now.

If I had a dollar for every programming deal that was "90% done", I'd be a very happy man. I've been in the distribution business for 15 years, much of it in PPV. Trust me: the stickiest deal points are the last to be negotiated.

Yes, network business strategies do evolve based on changing relationships. But no, I'm sorry. In Demand will not be jumping into bed with Verizon to provide exclusive HD sports content. The situation you describe doesn't even make sense. If Verizon is doing all of the production, why do they even need In Demand? For distribution infrastructure? Why? Anyone can lease a transponder or long-haul fiber.

Again, the owners of In Demand are the very cable operators Verizon will be competing against (and the wallets of Comcast and TW stack favorably against Direc/News & Echo, thank you very much).

You incorrectly state my position on Sunday Ticket. DirecTV has nothing to say about who does or does not get Sunday Ticket, aside from their willingness to pay exhorbitant exclusive rights fees. Yes, DirecTV uses Sunday Ticket as a loss-leader for new customer acquisition. And yes, it has become decreasingly effective as an acquisition tool as the retail rate of the package increases. You misunderstand the deal terms of Sunday ticket. DirecTV does not have carte blanche to do as they please with this programming. They cannot sublicense that programming. The league priced Sunday Ticket prohibitively high to protect local broadcast ratings. If the much broader cable audience had access to out-of-market games, there is a possibility they would cannibalize the local broadcast ratings. This is well-known within the programming community.

Sorry, but the economics of what you're describing don't work without a massive footprint. They're building their network the right way (unlike SBC), but it will take a very long time for them to become big enough video players to do deals like this. They still have significant legislative and/or regulatory hurdles to overcome, as well.

Is there a 1-800 number verizon has that we could possibly call and get a update and see how far along they are with getting FIOS going in our areas?? Because i tend not to trust the verizon website info too much, would rather here information from a actual person.

Nice post LonghornXP...even though you and others have previously posted this information before. As far as VOOM21...Rainbow Media's decision to mass-market VOOM21 will be the first thing they have done correctly with these channels. If people don't like them, they can simply not watch them. I currently have more than a hundred channels I never watch. In any case, I don't see why the previous poster would attempt to discredit you without having proper information.

Verizon is a loooooooooooooooooong way from competing nationally with the cable co's It seems to me that some people seem to believe all the nonsense being spewed by ceo of verizon.. Verizon/nynex/bell atlantic has a long history of promising the moon and not delivering it. Fios is there third yes THIRD attempt at a fiber project..Does anyone remember fiber to the curb??? Or better yet Project renaissance?Yes Verizon will deploy fiber It just remains to be seen how much Fiber they deploy before they decide they have to cut back and save money!!(It always happens)

Cable cos currently are waaaaay inferior compared in any terms to even Dish, so other than coverage I don't see why would be Verizon such "oooooooooooooooooong way" from competing with cable cos.

T2k said:
Cable cos currently are waaaaay inferior compared in any terms to even Dish, so other than coverage I don't see why would be Verizon such "oooooooooooooooooong way" from competing with cable cos.
They have to install fiber

I honestly think we are all somewhat jumping the gun here. I mean I spoke to a few people that work at V*(shall we start calling them "V" now...? LOL)and though they are excited about this, they were VERY cautious in their approach. I did mention to them what was being said/rumored on this site and my friend told me about 50% was truth and the rest was speculation and until it is officially offered in your neighborhood, no one really knows WHAT they have because some of the deals have been either kept hushed or not mentioned at all. I was told that right now, they have 20 HD channels with approx. 600 video in demand channels with the focus on HD and that more than half of the video in demand content is in HD.....as far as the Texas town that HAS this .

Well, just remember that talk is pretty cheap. So, let's just wait a bit and see what actually comes out of all of this. I am in Fairfax County, VA and folks here have suffered mightily under Cox Cable - our County Board was anxious to get even some minimum level of competition in and approved FIOS service to start on 10/1/05. After all, not everyone can have satellite. Verizon says it will be sometime after New Years before their new offering is up and running. Also, they are keeping their FIOS network to themselves - no AOL, Earthlink, etc.(we have Earthlink). Again, l'm going to wait and see - no jumping in with both feet.

--Doug

datwell said:
I am in Fairfax County, VA and folks here have suffered mightily under Cox Cable
Try Adelphia for a few month and you'll refer to your Cox service as, "The Good Old Days."
datwell said:
Verizon says it will be sometime after New Years before their new offering is up and running.
If Verizon's (the new V*) rollout is anything like DirecTV's HD rollout, then you can expect service to begin in the year 2010. :D

Seriously, V* has committed $$$ to make this happen so, unlike D*, the rollout in your area should be in full motion in your area next spring and summer.

FIOS TV Update for D/FW area

Posted on Fri, Sep. 30, 2005_krdDartInc++;document.write('');

if (typeof(krd_topix_property) != 'undefined') {document.write('var topixcats = new Array();');}var topixcats = new Array();javascript:openTopixWin('http://www.topix.net/com/vz?p=5003&s=PB&co=1')javascript:openTopixWin('http://www.topix.net/business/telecom?p=5003&s=PB&co=1')
spacer.gif

Verizon to expand fiber-optic TV service

spacer.gif

[size=-1]By AMAN BATHEJA[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Star-Telegram Staff Writer[/size]
spacer.gif

Just a week after debuting in Keller, Verizon Communications announced plans to make its fiber-optic television service available in 21 more North Texas cities by the end of 2006.

The expansion announced Friday will make Verizon’s TV service, called FiOS TV, available in close to 400,000 Metroplex households, including Fort Worth, Denton, Grapevine, Irving, Flower Mound, Colleyville and Southlake, company spokesman Bill Kula said. In Fort Worth, it will be available to 6,000 households, all in the Alliance Airport area.

The company filed for a state-issued franchise from the Texas Public Utility Commission Friday, allowing it to expand to 21 municipalities where the company already provides phone service. The commission is expected to rule on the franchise within 17 business days.

Verizon had previously secured video franchise agreements with Keller, Sachse, Westlake and Wylie. The company debuted FiOS TV in Keller last week.

Lawrence Babbio, Verizon Communications’ vice chairman and president, made the announcement at the annual luncheon of the North Texas Commission, where he also announced a $50,000 grant to the organization’s regional literacy initiative.

Babbio credited Texas lawmakers for passing Senate Bill 5 last month, which allowed new entrants into Texas’ cable TV business to apply for statewide franchises.

The new system saves the company from having to spend years negotiating with individual municipalities on offering its TV service, like existing cable companies still have to do.

"I believe that SB 5 will become a model for what other states will follow," Babbio said.

Fiber optics, bundles of thin glass strands that transmit information via pulses of light, allow the transmission of voice, video and data services through one connection. That allows phone companies like Verizon and SBC to bundle telephone, Internet, and TV services in one package.

SBC, based in San Antonio, also plans to roll out cable-TV service across fiber optic, but is behind Verizon in its deployment.

Babbio said Verizon’s competitive rates - a package of 180 channels and 14 HBO channels costs $54 a month – had already forced a competing cable provider to lower its prices in Keller. He predicted a similar response in other communities.

"We don’t expect what people might call a traditional price war in any way, but we will go into a market at a very competitive price and if [competitors] respond, they respond," Babbio said.

The initial fiber-optic rollout has already resulted in about 1,500 additional hires, said Sheila Lau, Verizon’s Texas market area president. She said she expects the company will have to increase its staff by hundreds more in response to such a large expansion.

Over the short-term, FiOS will only be made available to areas Verizon already serves. In Fort Worth, for example, that means about 6,000 households, all in the Alliance area, Kula said. Steve Banta, Verizon’s southwest region president, didn’t rule out a later expansion of FiOS TV to areas not currently served by the company. "We’re thinking of our own customers first," Banta said. "If it turns out like the way it’s taken off in Keller, then who knows?"

I had Fios installed yesterday. I am the first the neighborhood, so they discovered that my HUB didn't have "light" yet. So I am still dark, but the ONT and internal wiring are now installed. They are working on lighting it up today. :D

Because of this delay, I had a good opp to talk to the techs. I told them about Keller TX having Video now. They responded that Herdon VA also has video service. I had not heard that, but they did say that they've had it for many week now, which I find hard to believe.

Cyclone, glad to hear you're getting FiOS today. I would be on the verge of getting service installed if if weren't for the knuckleheads in my local cable commission. Also, I seriously doubt Verizon is providing Herndon residents with FiOS TV. It's remotely possible the service many be running at the local switching stations, but it certainly hasn't been rolled out to any customers.

Cyclone said:
I had Fios installed yesterday. I am the first the neighborhood, so they discovered that my HUB didn't have "light" yet. So I am still dark, but the ONT and internal wiring are now installed. They are working on lighting it up today. :D

Because of this delay, I had a good opp to talk to the techs. I told them about Keller TX having Video now. They responded that Herdon VA also has video service. I had not heard that, but they did say that they've had it for many week now, which I find hard to believe.

congrats, you will enjoy it.

Cyclone, glad to hear you're getting FiOS today. I would be on the verge of getting service installed if if weren't for the knuckleheads in my local cable commission. Also, I seriously doubt Verizon is providing Herndon residents with FiOS TV. It's remotely possible the service many be running at the local switching stations, but it certainly hasn't been rolled out to any customers.

mallu2u said:
How can I know when its coming to sterling, va?
When you see a press release, newspaper article, or a massive swarm of contract workings working all over the place. When it's the latter, it's very hard to miss them.

Here are some more links I found while datamining...

Link to the FiberDirect(sm) Fiber-to-the-Premises (FTTP) Solution from AFC

PDF about the AccessMAX™ System from AFC being used by Verizon FIOS

DSLreports post on the AFC AccessMAX 610X OTN box

My in-Laws in Fort Wayne have been telling me that Verizon has been going through their neighborhood installing the OTN boxes, but they haven't heard when service starts. They've resisted getting broadband up to now, but I think the combined phone, video, and data access may be too attractive for them to pass up...

I just had the AFC 610 OTN box installed yesterday. It works pretty well. No TV yet, just voice and data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)