Making a "poormans" dish mover?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Bored at work, so I am thinking. If I mount a dish on say a piece of wood, then mount that somehow to something that turns, would I not have a "poormans" rotor? I could put marks on the outer edge for the respective satellites. Just a thought - anyone ever try this?

Larry :)

its been done....I know someone did that with his C-band dish

The only thing is that the elevation isnt the same on all satellites so you'd have to take that into consideration. With my C-Band setup, I have 6 satellites all within a .2 degree difference so I can move along with no issues

IA8 (89W)
G11 (91W)
IA6 (93W...my true south)
G3 (95W)
IA5 (97W)
G4 (99W)

with the motor, it compensates the elevation as it moves along the arc....but your True South is probably either 89 or 91 so you might be able to get away with it on 87,89,91,93, 95

The reason a motor works so well is that it skews as it moves. If you just put it on a pole, and loosen it, point it, tighten it, you still have to skew(rotate) the lnb.

Well, I never bought a motor. I had my dish on a pole with marks, and after about a month, I knew how much to turn the lnb for skew and could hit IA5 and within a minute could tune G10R. It can be done, but if it's cold outside, a motor is nice...

Well, I am in Iowa, so it does get cold :) I will wait for the system to get here, get it all set up and then see about getting a motor. I had thought maybe it was a simple matter ofjust loosing the dish, point it to the correct sat and away you go. I think G10 will keep us busy for the most part. I got the programming put in at titan tv.com and it looks good!

I worked without a motor when I first got FTA (3+ years ago) but from hand moving from G3 to G10 to SBS6 back to G10 got old real quick. I then got a 2nd dish. Aimed that at G10 and the 2nd dish was like Timmy’s--marks with G11, G3, etc on it

But try and move a dish from SBS6 to G3 when its -15 out…then you’ll wish you had a motor :D

Been looking at switches and dish/lnbs. Looks like it would be cheapier to order the motor to add to it rather than set up another dish. Maybe I can scrouge one :) hehe

I have seen C-Band Polar mound dishes with manual actuators on them. They are basically a trailer jack the you screw one way or the other to follow the arc.

Wholeshoe

PSB said:
If you off set your mast to the same angle as your latitude (45º in this area) then when you move your dish from east to west it will follow the Clarke Belt!

Have a look at the below thread where I did it!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=39119&page=8

The assumption being that you aligned it with the north celestial pole so essentially had a polar mount. Next step would be to add a couple of pillow blocks and either jury rig an old tv antenna motor or add some type of actuator.

SD

Good idea, I am spoiled now with a new actuator and a 6' dish (below), but its a fun project and the main thing is when set up correctly there is no more elevation to worry about, just east and west!

Attachments

• Pict0050.JPG
    Pict0050.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 186
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)