Malone Voices Skepticism About Voom's Chances

mdonnelly said:
Hey, if E* could compress those 21 VOOM originals into one or two HDNET type channels, that would be "compelling". Hmmmmmmmmm, competition for Mark Cuban? Then if E* wanted to offer the full package for an extra fee, I'm sure some people would pay for it.

If E* could add anything else besides BINGO TV a lot of dissastifies E* subs would not have taken the offer of another satellite provider. E* is the lowest of the lowest when it comes to HD, overpriced equipment that at the end does not work properly. They are also the biggest public LIERS. Look at the 921 fiasco, the 6000u fiasco. A lot of customers and including retailers lost on both equipment. If you ask me even D* with its HD lite, is a better company than E*. E* wouldn't know HD, if it bite them in their pants.

Look at what is at the front page of satelliteguys "So while you watch Charlie on TV making more false promises and taking pre screened questions..."

If you are an E* subscriber or retailer, you know what we are talking about.

This is your quote today....

First of all Sean....We are not waiting for VOOM's doom's day,

This is your quote on 3/8

Well all that aside from a retailer......VOOM go bye bye.

Tell me if that does not spells doom in your language. Like waiting to happen.

where in all of that did I say that E* and D* had everything that V* had to offer?

On 3/8 you said the following:
As for common HD content, everyone is getting the same channels available to them via the networks. Discovery, ESPN, TNT, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Showtime, HBO, and in some areas Cinemax, and Starz. Like I said, without VOOM's original looping channels they would just be an overpriced satellite television provider.

Tell me again if I was dreaming or correct yourself.

Sean Mota said:
If E* could add anything else besides BINGO TV a lot of dissastifies E* subs would not have taken the offer of another satellite provider. E* is the lowest of the lowest when it comes to HD, overpriced equipment that at the end does not work properly. They are also the biggest public LIERS. Look at the 921 fiasco, the 6000u fiasco. A lot of customers and including retailers lost on both equipment. If you ask me even D* with its HD lite, is a better company than E*. E* wouldn't know HD, if it bite them in their pants.

Look at what is at the front page of satelliteguys "So while you watch Charlie on TV making more false promises and taking pre screened questions..."

Whoa there, VOOM goon. I'm not an E* cheerleader. I'm just offering a suggestion on how to save the VOOM originals.

And it's not like Charlie is the only one making false promises. How's that VOOM DVR that was promised last year working for you all?

mdonnelly said:
Whoa there, VOOM goon. I'm not an E* cheerleader. I'm just offering a suggestion on how to save the VOOM originals.

And it's not like Charlie is the only one making false promises. How's that VOOM DVR that was promised last year working for you all?

You are missing the point if you think Charlie cares about anything but himself. I rather have the VOOM go down than having them in Charlie's hand. That's how bad it has become for E* (IMO). It does not look like you know your history of E* too well. Do your research and you will see the biggest LIER on DBS is charlie and his band of brothers at E*. Telll me who have been an E* customer for a long time.

Sean Mota said:

I was a E* subscriber ( since 1999) and Sean is pretty right ( except for the "overpriced equipment that at the end does not work properly" part, I bought the 811 for $149.00 and I thought it work pretty darn good, but the 6000 was crap, and I never had a 921 so I can't comment about it) about the service.
When I see these posts about E* adding the Voom service I have to laugh, if E* wanted to add HD channels, there were plenty out there to add, but instead he keep adding more and more SD local, tons on international channels and other things that have nothing to do with HD, but at the same time say things like "we will be the HD leader" and the like, if people think that Ergen will be the savior of Voom, that is not the Charlie I know, he will take those channels, chew them up, and turn them into the Greek Cooking Show channel and charge $25.00 a month for it.

mdonnelly said:

You might get a point with the DVR part, but one thing I want to say about Charlie- "SuperDish and 50 more HD Channels" ha.

Well I don't know where you are getting your info from. Yes there were some bugs with the 921 when it first came out, but E* was more than happy to fix the problems or replace the receiver for those customers. As for high priced equipment, the 921 dual tuner DVR at $599 with 180 hrs of recording time is a far better deal than the $999 TIVO with 80 hours of recording time. D* and E* have the same HD channels available to thier customers. Also, DTV charges new customers $199 for an HD receiver, while E* does not charge them anything. DTV's HD pkg. is $10.99, while E* is $9.99, not a lot of difference in the scheme of things, but still a difference.

Facts...they are a wonderful thing.

Sean Mota said:
I guess you haven't heard Charlie talk, "no compelling HD out there". Out of the sudden, the HD 21 becomes compelling. :eek:

Charlie Ergen has stated on past Charlie Chats that he may be interested in some of the Voom HD programming. Now he could have been lying but I am positive he made the statement several months back and I believe he made it on more than one Charlie Chat. I have to believe until recently that Chuck Dolan wanted Voom to be a standalone DBS provider so it is doubtful that until recently i.e. last 2 - 3 months, that Voom has even discussed allowing Dish to provide the Voom HD programming so the Voom programming wasn't "out there". Now that Chuck Dolan's back is up against the wall, perhaps Dish providing some of the Voom HD programming is now an option. We may find out in the next few weeks.

vurbano said:
Adding local SD? huh? Sounds like D* the last few years

Oh, leave it to you to bash D* in a thread where there is talk about E* and V*,
I swear, if this was a thread about the value of you wearing Depends, you would figure out a way to bash D* :yes

Thank you Bruce. I totally agree with you. Never had the 811 since I was stuck with the 6000u which I paid $600 because this is all I needed to get HD on E*. This is why a 3rd DBS provider was going to be good for the market. Making competition against E*, D* and C*. At the end when VOOM is finally gone, we'll all go back to our status quo and have E* and D* playing ping pong with each other. Competition will be very small. This is what a lot of doomsayers have lost sight of. The more competition the better; unfortunate if that is not the way it was meant to be then we all go back to past where we will expect each to add their HD channels whenever they wish and not when the customers want.

rocatman said:
Charlie Ergen has stated on past Charlie Chats that he may be interested in some of the Voom HD programming. Now he could have been lying but I am positive he made the statement several months back and I believe he made it on more than one Charlie Chat. I have to believe until recently that Chuck Dolan wanted Voom to be a standalone DBS provider so it is doubtful that until recently i.e. last 2 - 3 months, that Voom has even discussed allowing Dish to provide the Voom HD programming so the Voom programming wasn't "out there". Now that Chuck Dolan's back is up against the wall, perhaps Dish providing some of the Voom HD programming is now an option. We may find out in the next few weeks.

Oh bollocks, if Charlie wanted more HD he could have done it, and I watched that Charlie Chat when Voom came up from a caller and when Charlie answered the question, you could just tell he did not know what he was talking about.

AxE said:
Well I don't know where you are getting your info from. Yes there were some bugs with the 921 when it first came out, but E* was more than happy to fix the problems or replace the receiver for those customers. As for high priced equipment, the 921 dual tuner DVR at $599 with 180 hrs of recording time is a far better deal than the $999 TIVO with 80 hours of recording time. D* and E* have the same HD channels available to thier customers. Also, DTV charges new customers $199 for an HD receiver, while E* does not charge them anything. DTV's HD pkg. is $10.99, while E* is $9.99, not a lot of difference in the scheme of things, but still a difference.

Do I need to mention FIREWIRE, PGI for locals (which is really bad what charlie did -- asking customers to subscribe to the local package and pay for just the PGI. WTF wasn't this why I got an OTA module not to pay for the locals. Go to our 921 Dish Forum and you will see more...

bruce said:
... and I watched that Charlie Chat when Voom came up from a caller and when Charlie answered the question, you could just tell he did not know what he was talking about.
Then what was all that talk about Chuck and Charlie being old buddies? No, I think Charlie was just ducking the question. :D

mdonnelly said:
Then what was all that talk about Chuck and Charlie being old buddies? No, I think Charlie was just ducking the question. :D

So what, Dolan and Malone were old buddies and look what happened today, hell, Rupert and Malone are also old buddies, but that did not matter when Malone started buying up 17% of NewsCorp shares and Rupert had to put his poison pill into effect to stop him from buying any more.

As of now, the only thing Chuck and Charlie have in common is Rainbow-1 and they both have about 40% each of the MVDSS spectrum nation-wide, that is it, any thing else is a guess right now.

AxE said:

Sorry but that 921 is only $599 because without 2 ota tuners it is 1/2 of a DVR.

vurbano said:
Sorry but that 921 is only $599 because without 2 ots tuners it is 1/2 of a DVR.

Same with TIVO...But TIVO requires a phone line to operate.

vurbano said:
Sorry but that 921 is only $599 because without 2 ota tuners it is 1/2 of a DVR.

At Costco, it is under $500.00, but to call it 1/2 of a DVR, but what else is out there for a HD-DVR except the HD-TIVO to compare it to, and then we have the 6412, which is a dual-tuner, but not OTA, just cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)