Manhattan 3.2 Firmware Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Looks like there might be a major video codec (or working with the codec) problem. I put the Sept 1st firmware in my Manhattan this evening and then went looking for sports feeds. AMC-15 was my first sat. a couple of HD feeds were fine, the only SD occ video feed on the bird caused the Manhattan to flicker or go weird and the HDMI output shut down, causing my HD monitor to tell me it was not receiving a HDMI signal. I immediately thought maybe encoder/Manhattan incompatibility and moved on.

Galaxy 17 - blind searched and found an SD feed there that did the exact same behavior. Okay, might be a lot of incompatible encoders out there and I moved on to AMC-16.

AMC-16 blind scanned and found 2 SD feeds (including the 24/7 Echostar slate) that caused the same flicker issue. One feed flickered and kept the HDMI output alive and quickly displayed good video/audio, the slate one flickered and the HDMI output went off and my HD set notified me no HDMI signal present. At no time did the Manhattan reboot and it took a turn off/disconnect LNB/turn on, change channel, rehook up LNB to a good channel to make the video/audio and OSD return properly. No HD feeds I came across were affected so it appears to affect only some SD 4:2:0 feeds. To see if there really could be that many bad encoders active on Saturday evening or if the Manhattan has a problem, I connected my Openbox S10 to the Manhattan loop through, swtiched over the HDMI cable to the Openbox S10, and blind scanned AMC-16. All the same channels scanned in and every one displayed properly without any flicker or incompatibility, so the Openbox S10 has no issues while the Manhattan seems to have a lot of issues with SD feeds.

Does anyone know where I can find the May firmware to roll back? As nice as the individual polarity selection on the blind scan screen is with the Sept 1 release, I would rather have a lot fewer issues with video on SD feeds so I can live with the May firmware because I had zero video issues with it.

Looks like there might be a major video codec (or working with the codec) problem. I put the Sept 1st firmware in my Manhattan this evening and then went looking for sports feeds. AMC-15 was my first sat. a couple of HD feeds were fine, the only SD occ video feed on the bird caused the Manhattan to flicker or go weird and the HDMI output shut down, causing my HD monitor to tell me it was not receiving a HDMI signal. I immediately thought maybe encoder/Manhattan incompatibility and moved on.

Galaxy 17 - blind searched and found an SD feed there that did the exact same behavior. Okay, might be a lot of incompatible encoders out there and I moved on to AMC-16.

AMC-16 blind scanned and found 2 SD feeds (including the 24/7 Echostar slate) that caused the same flicker issue. One feed flickered and kept the HDMI output alive and quickly displayed good video/audio, the slate one flickered and the HDMI output went off and my HD set notified me no HDMI signal present. At no time did the Manhattan reboot and it took a turn off/disconnect LNB/turn on, change channel, rehook up LNB to a good channel to make the video/audio and OSD return properly. No HD feeds I came across were affected so it appears to affect only some SD 4:2:0 feeds. To see if there really could be that many bad encoders active on Saturday evening or if the Manhattan has a problem, I connected my Openbox S10 to the Manhattan loop through, swtiched over the HDMI cable to the Openbox S10, and blind scanned AMC-16. All the same channels scanned in and every one displayed properly without any flicker or incompatibility, so the Openbox S10 has no issues while the Manhattan seems to have a lot of issues with SD feeds.

Does anyone know where I can find the May firmware to roll back? As nice as the individual polarity selection on the blind scan screen is with the Sept 1 release, I would rather have a lot fewer issues with video on SD feeds so I can live with the May firmware because I had zero video issues with it.

May I ask what your settings are so I can try and duplicate the problem? There are a few of us that have run the firmware for almost a month now and have not had the problem you describe. But we might not have the same options checked off either. I run HDMI and also use the component outs at the same time. I have had no problems with either flickering or shutting down. I would really like to replicate your problem. Have a great day!

Note: I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the May firmware.

Last edited:
exactly what settings do you know to know? I want to make sure I pull them to post from the correct menu area in the receiver.

Fixed or motor for starters.... I will need all your settings. I want to set my receiver exactly like yours. The only way I can do that is to enter all your settings and then try to recreate your problem. The other testers can do the same. If the receiver is the problem, then we will get the same results as you and those can be turned in to have a solution. If I or the others that are testing can't get the same results, then it is another issue that we need to figure out. I have not had the problem that you have described and none of the other testers have reported that issue either. We are all on the firmware that was posted. Ver 3.2 so different firmware is not in question. Have a great day!

Skysurfer,
With my TV setup in the Manhattan set to "auto", I'm seeing some rough channel transitions on 125W , between SD and HD channels , but no losing HDMI sync. When I switch to 1080I_30 in the settings, I lose those rough transitions. What video mode are you using, and can you confirm any difference between AUTO mode and 1080i mode on your setup ?
We might find out something useful.
:)

I don't see any channel changing problems at all with the exception of hoing between HD and SD in which case the screen goes black for a couple seconds as the resolution changes. I just rescanned AMC-21 @ 125. I am now going to rescan the C-band side. I am beginning to wonder if the TV one is using has anything to do with it? I use a Sharp Aquos LED. Maybe the tv is at fault and rejecting the signal for some reason? Just guessing here... I am hooked up with HDMI and the receiver is set to auto. I will post if I see anything after checking the C-band side.

Stone, set your Manhattan to 1080I and see if the transition is smoother between SD and HD . As I go from SD to HD in AUTO mode, that blackout is rough and longer than if I use 720P or 1080I. I don't even notice any resolution change except in AUTO mode. I agree with you that the sync between the TV and the receiver may play a part in the issue . By not changing the resolution of the output signal, that should be minimized. I'm using a 5 year old cheap Sanyo 720P HDTV . The only sync problems it's ever had was on the Azbox. :)

What you guys describe when set as AUTO is normal, it is called HDMI Handshaking. When Resolution is AUTO both HDMI devices has to handshake to agree on the new resolution format to use so it takes a couple of seconds and therefore the black screen delay everytime you change channels that have different resolutions , even from 720p to 1080i. I rather use AUTO (My Azbox is connected to the display via Onkyo Receiver that has HDMI passthrough but evenso it does not do the auto thing , will try directly to the display) because that way I can ask the TV what is the actual resolution received from the source and besides usually TV's have better scalers or video processing than any other equipment (high end AV receivers probably the exception).

I changed it over and yes the channels change instanly. It does that because the resolution does not change. The sd signals are upconverted to 1080i. So since the resolution is not changing, there will be no delay. I know that the res is not changing because my tv displays the resolution with every channel change. I keep it on auto so sd stuff is displayed in sd, and hd stuff is displayed in hd. In my humble opinion, 480i upconverted to 1080i looks like crap. Like "stretching" does. 480 was made for 480. 1080 was made for 1080. I get a kick out of the supposed HD channels like the RTV on the AMC7 bird. You can't get HD unless the show was made in HD. Sure the pic looks a little more clear on older sets, but mine shows everything and I can tell. The 1.5 second delay while the receiver switches modes is not a problem for me.

I'm really courious about Skysurfers problem. I am pretty sure that the TV is the problem. I know that people don't care to get a newer TV, but it might be about that time. I remember when the switch first took. My sister fried a tv after hooking up the converter box... Then she hooked it up to another one and fried that one too!. She was sure the government was giving out coupons just so they could fry TV sets! LOL! I used the same converter on an older set and had no problems. But I still bought a couple of new sets to replace the old analog ones. Could I afford it? No. But it was either do or quit complaining... And I can't stop complaining! LOL! ;)

Ok, we've got some good theories going with the possible decoder issues now. Can anyone reproduce my issue with no signal after a dish move?
I'm using a v-box and setting the Manhattan to talk to it via DiseqC commands. That part works great...but no satellite signal when the dish gets to its destination. Once I go into menu>>antenna setup>>motor setting>> and select a live transponder, it sees signal. Then I can exit out and I'll now have that channel. But simply tuning to it after a dish move, no satellite signal.

Settings are:
motor antenna
DiseqC1.0 (port specified)

Last edited:
I did just notice something, while in the motor setting window and selecting a satellite (which sends it off motoring) it never saves the diseqC port I specify. Back and forth between 2 satellites I've saved and it does not save the port. I suspect that's where the problem is...someone has got to be using one of these with diseqC commands somewhere..

Are you actually using a Diseqc 1.0 switch as well as the Vbox ? I have a Manhattan in Diseqc 1.2 mode driving my Gbox 3000 ( for a 6 foot cheap dish), but with no Diseqc switch and it works fine. I'll put a switch in there and see what happens. :)

Last edited:
I know one guy that is testing with a motorised setup. I will forward your problem to his e-mail and see if he has any input. I don't have a motor setup but have set the receiver to motor and I was able to save diseq settings. (diseq 1.0). Try one thing. sometimes the receiver will scan a channel in and then not display it when tuned. Going to the TP menu shows signal, going back and it drops the signal. Go to the TP menu and adjust the frequency up by 1 mhz. Save and see if that helps.

Yes, using the switch because I have a C/KU lnbf on the big dish. I would prefer to use 22Khz but I see on the Manhattan, there is nowhere to set a position # at the same time I use 22Khz. Basically there is still not a 22Khz option in the motor settings window if using "motorized antenna" setup.

Yes, using the switch because I have a C/KU lnbf on the big dish. I would prefer to use 22Khz but I see on the Manhattan, there is nowhere to set a position # at the same time I use 22Khz. Basically there is still not a 22Khz option in the motor settings window if using "motorized antenna" setup.

I have a dmx741 c/Ku lnbf. I set my lnb settings during a test to "universal, 5150 - 10750". The 22 khz works then. Try that. You should be able to ditch the extra diseq.

Last edited:
Are you actually using a Diseqc 1.0 switch as well as the Vbox ? I have a Manhattan in Diseqc 1.2 mode driving my Gbox 3000 ( for a 6 foot cheap dish), but with no Diseqc switch and it works fine. I'll put a switch in there and see what happens. :)
Well, the first Diseqc 1.0 switch I tried didn't work. The second one ( an Emp Centauri P 164-IW) does work . None of my Diseqc switches are new, so the first switch ( no label on it) might be blown up. ? :)

brentb636, I still see signal on both ports when I specify so I can only assume it works...the receiver does seem to store the port I specify when I go back and forth between birds, just not showing signal.
But on the motor setting screen, flipping between satellites does not store the port settings.

stone1150, not sure how you can still have 22khz options still available. When I set the antenna up as "motorized" there is no 22Khz option...if I set it up as "fixed" and select "universal, 5150-10750" the 22Khz option becomes unselectable...

I have a dmx741 c/Ku lnbf. I set my lnb settings during a test to "universal, 5150 - 10750". The 22 khz works then. Try that. You should be able to ditch the extra diseq.

stone1150, not sure how you can still have 22khz options still available. When I set the antenna up as "motorized" there is no 22Khz option...if I set it up as "fixed" and select "universal, 5150-10750" the 22Khz option becomes unselectable...
The 22 khz is automatic when set to universal 5150 - 10750. I can show you some pics if it would help. It won't take me long to change over. But picking the universal setting activates the 22 khz switch. That is how the unit switched between c and ku bands.

set it for motor.....

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)