This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Manhattan Update 3.4 thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What happened to the info screen?
I plugged in a usb HD for the dvr function, and no more info when I press the i button twice. I now get some sort of record screen.

ver 3.4

1933 DiSEqC

stone--

--OK, I have tried as you suggested. C band on diseq 1, Ku band on diseq 2, 22khz off. And I still have no Ku band reception thru the diseq switch. Ku does come in fine when the lnb is connected straight to the 1933 SAT IN. Also, it will come in fine when I connect the output of the splitter to the 1933 SAT IN.

So, it would look like at this point that either the switch is bad or the 1933 is not putting out the necessary diseq control signal. This prompted me to put a 'T' in the SAT IN co-ax and connect my oscilloscope. I cannot see any suggestion of any signal whatever when in the diseq only mode. I also turned on the 22 khz and do not see that either. I have looked up some of the diseq protocol stuff and find that the signal is a modulated 22khz tone with an amplitude of around 1/2 volt. Should be easy to see. I don't know if the tone is continuous or not but I watched closely when changing from C band to Ku band and still saw nothing.

By the way (and maybe not so incidental) C band comes thru no matter what SAT band I have selected and no matter what diseq port I have selected.

I am up to the 3.4 firmware but had the same problem with the factory firmware (whatever that was).

I do have a new diseq switch on order. Hope that maybe I am missing something here and that will fix it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks--

Paul

Just received my Manhattan on Friday and thought I would chime in with a few suggestions for improvement and a short reveiew.

1. In the "Dump To USB" menu the "Dump Mode" selection of "UserDB" dump a file with a ".bin" suffix. Since this file is actually a .udf file, the receiver should dump this file with a ".udf" suffix, instead. This would enable the channel editor to load this file directly without having to change the suffix, first. (Of course, the firmware would also need to recognize this suffix when loading the file back into the receiver.

2. Since there is no "Lock" light on the front panel of the receiver to tell you if a tuned signal is being received with any amount of quality, it would be nice to have this info in the form of a small meter on the bottom right of the OSD lower third that pops up when you change the channel. A sort of miniturized version of the one that you get when pressing the "i" key twice. Just the green Quality bar with percentage will do. And maybe the work "LOCKED" when it is green, to catch the eye.

3. In the detailed INFO screen, on the "PID" line, when the audio is "Dolby D" and the video PID is four digits long, the number for the PCR PID gets cut off at the end. I would suggest, incorporating a suggestion from earlier in this thread, that each PID be on a separate line like this, for example:

Video PID 1000(H.264)
Audio PID 1001(AAC)
PCR PID 1000

This way, there is no doubt what each PID represents, you get all digits of each PID, and you get the addition of the Video format (H.264, MPEG-1, etc).

4. When a list of channels or satellites is onscreen, the "P-" and "P+" keys on the remote do the opposite of what I would expect. "P-" should Page DOWN and "P+" should Page UP. Example: I have a list of channels numbered "11" through "20" onscreen. The "P-" key should show me a list of channels numbered "1" through "10" and the "P+" key should show channels "21" through "30".

These are all mostly just cosmetic suggestions that shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Other than that I like this receiver. I was able to use the my Solomend/Openbox channel editor to add more satellites to my existing channel list that I have in the Solomend and load it into the Manhattan with no problem. The two receivers use the same list format. Even the menus in the receiver are so similar that the only learning curve is where the buttons are on the remote. It gets a wider variety of channels with one firmware version that it takes the Solomend two or three different firmware versions to get. Some channels that stutter or don't come in with any version of Solomend/Openbox firmware come in smooth with the Manhattan. I give this receiver two thumbs up!

Last edited:

I was running a diseq switch with this 3.4 version of firmware. I just flipped over to a 22 khz switch so I can test that. However that said, I had no problem with the diseqc switching. My C-band was on diseqc 1, my Ku-band was on diseqc 3. I have removed my splitters from the system. My 4D only moves the dish so there is no reason to hook it up. I did have it hooked up through diplexors (splitters), I didn't have no problem then either. Check your system. You could have a bad switch as you think, or it could be a simple short causing the trouble. Nobody else seems to be having the same kind of trouble, so I would assume that the receiver is sending the diseqc signal fine. If it wasn't, then everyone starting would have the same complaint about the diseqc switching. You can try to remove the 4D from the mix. If by chance that the splitters allow power to pass from both sides, then the receivers could be fighting for controll of the lnb. When a splitter is used, it should only pass power from the lead receiver. If receiver conflict is ruled out, then change out the diseqc. Have a great day!

I just went to the Satellite list because I was adding a bird. After I went in there, I hit the p- key and went down the page. The - and the + are for down or up the page. - is for down the page.... + is for up the page. They work as intended. To sss"scroll"
up or down the page. Have a great day!

This is a good idea. The addition of a signal meter in the sat list for example, or another way of knowing if a transponder is hot when flipping through the channels. It was mentioned in the beginning, might of been lost in the cracks. It will be brought up again. Have a great day!

There are no fulltime feeds that I know of in this format, but I put a great deal of trust in this person's abilities and if he says that it was 16APSK, it probably was without a doubt.

Figured it out. I came across a 16APSK video feed and the manhattan tuned it in. That tells me 16APSK is supported, but not in every DVB-S2 sub-configuration. Data transmissions are likely to have something else in the signal configuration that the Manhattan can't handle (thus why the ones I tried the other week didn't lock) but 16APSK feeds with video likely have the right kind of DVB-S2 configuration to be lockable.

I'm attaching a pic of the info screen that shows the "!6APSK" part.

Whoa-Ho that is pretty cool. Good find!
Can you post the feed you found this on?

Alright, I must ask as my couriosity is now up..... I just got done scanning AMC-8 for the elusive subchannels. You know, only 20 scan in deal.... No receiver that I have, not even my 9200 will scan more than 20 subchannels on any givin audio channel. What receiver does scan them in? Or is the issue one that all receivers have and people just want a receiver that can scan them? Seeing that my Pannie don't scan them, I'm wondering if any receiver does. Pannies have been great at scanning, won't always play what they scan, but does lock the channels.... Have a great day!

are you sure? Because the way I understand the buttons (at least how I feel they should operate) is when you are on the 1st page of satellite (which in my case is the end of the KU line) when I hit P+ it goes all the way to the bottom of the list (which is the beginning of C-Band).....P- jumps to the next page which is wrong.
P+ should go to the next page
P- should go back a page

What channels are we talking about? The Dial Global mux that is posted on thelist or the 600 AAC audio channels on other transponders?

The DG mux will only log 20 audio PIDS....My Panny 1500 is the same way. Geosat has a 4 audio PID max. Havent tried my Visionsat (have to find it). The only receiver I remember logging them was my Craptiveworks CW-600...it logged 32 audio PIDS which was the amount they had at the time.
The AAC audio ones are separate SID's so it should log them all. I know the Sathawk I had (the original one) logged them all just fine. When I sold it (because the motor/switch function didnt work and the remote was clunky) the person wanted it for those channels

I just logged 61 AAC channels on a mux of AMC8 with the Manhattan. They all had seperate SIDs. Solomend does the same.
that's the other configuration of audio from what Stone was asking about a few posts before this one. The one stone asked about - only 20 get written to memory and you have to do some manual pid entry trickery for the rest. the one you are referring to - those types only about 60 get written to memory. You are missing about tens to hundreds of talk, pro and college sports audio feeds due to the Manhattan's incomplete memory writing on the type where there is one audio channel per program. I would like to see that limit upped so I don't have to define to many manual channels.

Upping the limit on the ones (stone's referenced) that are several audio channels per program from 20 to whatever is a good start whenever that firmware comes out.

The DG mux is what I was referring to at this time. I'm just trying to find out what other receivers do log all the action. Or if this has been a shortcomming all along with FTA, and it is a feature that needs to be added. My 9200 logs the same as the Manhattan, (except it don't play aac but logs it,). I even dug out an old viewcrap. It too performs the same. So was wondering if there is any receiver today that does lock all the TP frequencies in question, Or if it would be a "new thing". Have a great day!

why does it matter which receivers can and can't do it? If it's a hardware limitation in the Manhattan, that's one thing. If it's a firmware limitation because the developers never consider any other signals in the FTA skies other than Galaxy 19 Ku-band muxes, that's another thing. No excuse to have limits or caps on the amount of channels can be written to memory if it's firmware related unless the Manhattan's maximum amount of channels in the specs is way overstated and you need a way to cap the number of channels written as to not max out the receiver channel memory with a few awesome muxes.

I am simply interested in what other receivers do log all the channels!.... That's why it is important! How else do we learn! To say that something has a shortcomming when the thing you want is being accomplished with other receivers is one thing....... To claim that there is a flaw or shortcomming when it hasn't been done before is quite another! If it hasn't been done, how can it be a shortcomming????? I see my question has not been answered yet......... I'm beginning to wonder if any receiver out there logs all the channels or if is a problem with all receivers that has not been tackled yet. If the latter is the truth, then one can't very well claim there is a shortcomming now can they. Have a great day!

DiSEqC switching on 1933 now working

Stone--

Here's an update on what I've done:

-- Got a new diseq switch which did not change things. So, I tried your suggestion of dropping off the 922 and using just the 1933 and diseq switch with 1933 lnb power on and this does work. OK!

-- But, I still wanted to be able to view the 922 clear channels for dish purposes. So, I connected the 922 to the passive ports on the splitters, letting the 1933 feed the power to the lnbs thru the Diseq and splitter and this also worked. I am content with this arrangement and will leave it this way.

-- Just to be sure I knew what had transpired, I changed back to letting the lnbs get their power from the 922 and this now worked. Strange. Except, I found (and should have realized sooner) that the 1933 lnb power must be on for the diseq switch to function. Apparently, the diseq switch taps on to this power for its internal electronics.

-- The confusing thing to me is that I thought that I had tried this combination at the outset. More brain fade, maybe. Anyway, it is working and I thank you for sticking with me.

-- One question re 1933. In the CHANNEL EDIT menu there is a DELETE ALL. Does this delete all channels of the bird presently selected or does it delete all channels of all birds? I have not tried this for fear of having to scan everything again.

Paul

Status
Please reply by conversation.