Manhole covers stolen in Flint, Mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it this way though Bob; should people be throwing these useful items out like this? NO! But others should NOT be going through their trash either.

when you place trash at the curb legally its no longer yours.

what difference does it make if anyone picks it up and reuses it?

the train i saw sticking out of a box was a collectible no doubt someones prized possession.

I traded the lionel for american flyer stuff which i still own today

I see it this way though Bob; should people be throwing these useful items out like this? NO! But others should NOT be going through their trash either.

If somebody sets out an old appliance, easily reparable furniture, computer equipment, etc. on the curb, there is no harm knocking on their door and asking if you may take it. Most people will respond positively to a courteous request.

Anything bagged or physically inside a residential trash can should be treated as private and intended for disposal.

legally once at curb its no longer your property.

rarely would i dig around, except the time i found the train. looked closely for accessories

legally once at curb its no longer your property.

rarely would i dig around, except the time i found the train. looked closely for accessories

Actually, the law depends on where you live. Where I'm from, scavenging through trash is illegal. This law is in place to limit the mess that could result or traffic that would be blocked. Another reason against this is that people don't want strangers skulking around their houses in the dark.

If caught, tickets and fines could result.

Actually, the law depends on where you live. Where I'm from, scavenging through trash is illegal. This law is in place to limit the mess that could result or traffic that would be blocked. Another reason against this is that people don't want strangers skulking around their houses in the dark.

If caught, tickets and fines could result.

there was a 60 minutes article once stating its legal........

there was a hassle awhile ago about people picking the recyclable metal, then taking it and selling it, the garbage collector had figured the scap revenue into the rates.

people should donate stuff instead of putting it out for trash.

but goodwill lost my donations forever after getting too picky, and carelessely dropping a fan, then returning it to my vehicle, saying it doesnt work.......

then they wondered why donations dried up:(

and trash locally goes to curb, its still legal to walk the streets. at lewast last time i checked.

there was a 60 minutes article once stating its legal........
Interesting that 60 minutes confirmed this with EVERY locality in the US, eh ? You remember to tell the judge "but on 60 minutes they said it was legal" when you do get cited.

Interesting that 60 minutes confirmed this with EVERY locality in the US, eh ? You remember to tell the judge "but on 60 minutes they said it was legal" when you do get cited.

Lol!

Somehow I fail to remember the constitutional amendment guaranteeing your countrywide right to "dumpster dive"! :D

Believe it or not, all 50 states are sovereign and this ordinance would be filed under the local laws.

In my old neighborhood, people came around in trucks and STOLE recyclables (pop cans, etc) from peoples tree lawns. The cops crakced down on this because it caused a loss in revenue to the city as the city sold the recyclables as a method of funding the recycling program.

Here they are stealing aluminum tubing from our bridge safety railings just out site the office and selling it for scrap. Also they go into CT cabinets at construction sites and steel copper and aluminum conductors.

never put anything sensitive in your trash, as someone may pick it up.

like credit card applications.......

for those who claim its illegal just try calling the police to report somone is taking my old mower i put out for the garbage......

bet they laugh

yeah see it go in a landfill rather than be reused......

smart thinking NOT!

although reyyclables shouldnt be picked. thats theft.

but geez a collectible train engine? used mower? or vacuumn?:(

for those who claim its illegal just try calling the police to report somone is taking my old mower i put out for the garbage......

bet they laugh
First off, that's not relevant... In a bigger city, yes, the police in all reality won't do anything. It's called priorities. In a smaller town, where cops don't have a lot to do, odds are they'll send someone out.

In my old neighborhood, people came around in trucks and STOLE recyclables (pop cans, etc) from peoples tree lawns.
There was a guy that lived a few blocks from me who did that every Wednesday night or early Thursday morning (trash pick-up is Thurs) and may still do it. He actually blocked me in my garage one morning when I was trying to leave. When I asked him "would you mind moving ?" he finished his collection before doing so... I said "that's the last time you'll take my cans" and since then I turn them in myself for $$$. Hell, I even called the city and asked for add'l recycle bins, which they'll gladly supply thinking they'll get more recyclables and therefore more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)