Mankato, MN

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Does anyone line in or near Mankato, MN? I have a friend who said he has an antenna on the roof and only receives 2 channels, but only sometimes. Before digital, he received over 20 channels. I asked him if he was using a UHF antenna, but he hasn't responded.

Does anyone line in or near Mankato, MN? I have a friend who said he has an antenna on the roof and only receives 2 channels, but only sometimes. Before digital, he received over 20 channels. I asked him if he was using a UHF antenna, but he hasn't responded.
Mankato is a one station market (use to get it when I lived in my house. Its about 75 miles SW of Minneapolis or 55 miles from casa du Iceberg) ;).

KEYC RF 12
PSIP 12-1 CBS HD
12-2 FOX (SD widescreen)

The tower is about 20 miles south of Mankato in Lewisville

Now there is a co-op of low powered translators about 25 miles SW of there that are all on UHF (including a copy of KEYC) and is basically the Minneapolis stations and some extras.
Best thing to do is ask him what way the antenna is facing right now. In the analog days folks did aim it NE towards Minneapolis. Digital it doesn't work (too far away)

One thing about Mankato is there is some dramatic terrain there and that WILL affect reception. If he is near the college (which is up on the hill) or on hilltop as the locals call it the odds of getting the translators is pretty good with a big UHF antenna and a preamp. If he is in downtown or North Mankato it wont work (due to Mankato proper being right next to the river)

Best thing I would recommend is find out what he has for an antenna and if you can run his tvfool post it and I'm sure I can help out.

But you also mentioned he gets 2 channels sometimes which unless he is using a UHF only antenna he should still get KEYC just fine. Hell when I was sitting outside of the stadium (next to the college which again is up on the hill) I got KEYC fire with my 2 bay UHF antenna.

This is a picture of his antenna. No wonder he's not receiving any channels. I never saw an antenna like this.
12270996_10153800803858453_883238707_o.jpg 12270996_10153800803858453_883238707_o.jpg

Reactions: Mr Tony
I have dealt with TV antenna installs and such for years and have never ran into that type of configuration, used for receiving only. I would like to see that antenna even closer up, just for my own curiosity.
For sure VHF spacing and length though. He needs something tuned for UHF for sure.

A little confused over his TVFool report. Why no virtual channel numbers?
All of those at 263 degrees are the low powered translator system I spoke of earlier
http://rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=239

since the PSIP numbers have changed every now and then they arent listed on TVfool (plus their FCC base doesnt list it usually). The 1st few on the list (down to about the end of the yellow ones) are the main Minneapolis stations. And yes KEYC is on THREE RF stations
12 (the "mothership")
38 (a translaotr owned by KEYC at the Godahl/St James tower...so folks with UHF only antennas can aim there)
41 (that was WCCO MInneapolis (CBS) but they must have an issue so its swapped to KEYC

Looking at that closer, that is most definitelly a VHF only antenna. Old one...He will need a UHF antenna to get the rest of it but can be done (probably need a basic pre-amp too)

I have dealt with TV antenna installs and such for years and have never ran into that type of configuration, used for receiving only. I would like to see that antenna even closer up, just for my own curiosity..
same here. But I've seen older VHF only antennas like that. Again its a 1 station market that we're working with and back in the analog days folks aimed NE for Minneapolis (80 miles away). The analog stations were 2,4,5,9,11 (PBS, CBS, ABC, IND, NBC)

An elderly relative has an antenna like that. It's never failed, it's the only antenna ever installed on their house. Literal LOS and within 15 miles of Mt Mansfield means that it works since the transition as if nothing happened. The VHF Montréal channels are flawless, too. Before the transition, UHF was weird looking, snowy, no Montréal, and missing the lower power channels, but ABC and PBS were watchable.

The TV it's attached to is ancient and stops at Ch 36 (I think) so the digital transition gave them Fox 44 and WCFE since the analog tuner didn't get them, but the converter box did.

I sell an 8-bay that he'll be purchasing from my Rinker Technologies website.
cool. He can replace the existing antenna and just use that one since KEYC is also on the co-op on RF38. It will map to 12-4 (KEYC CBS) and 12-5 (FOX) to not confuse stations who pick it up on RF12

Get a uhf and point it at gohdal. They have 10+ transmitters. All the mpls stations plus some extras like bluehwy, youtoo, amg, tbn and so on. All fta, low power tho. It's a co op called CTV. Feel free to donate the 20 a year to keep it running.

Get a uhf and point it at gohdal. They have 10+ transmitters. All the mpls stations plus some extras like bluehwy, youtoo, amg, tbn and so on. All fta, low power tho. It's a co op called CTV. Feel free to donate the 20 a year to keep it running.
If you're only gonna send $20, send it anonymously.....its $7 a month they want ;)
www.ctv.coop

If you're only gonna send $20, send it anonymously.....its $7 a month they want ;)
www.ctv.coop

Now that Winter is over, my friend is ready for me to ship him the 8-bay UHF TV antenna and a pre-amp. However, now that I have his exact address, the TV Fool report doesn't look as good. Will an 8-bay antenna and pre-amp be good enough? Also, is he required to pay $7 a month for the OTA channels? I never heard of paying for OTA TV.
MankatoMinnesota.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)