Many problems trying to get Dish installed

Rukes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
West Hollywood, CA
Bear with me, trying to piece together the story through my parents...

Basically my parents are really fed up with cable and wanted to switch to Dish. One HWS and two Joeys.

They called, set up an appointment, had a tech come over and they refused to install it since there was a "splitter somewhere in the wall". Parents then had TWC come by to try to find the splitter, they refused to help and guessed they would need to break down a wall or re-run a whole new line. (Aren't there tools to be able to detect where a splitter might be?).

Called Dish back with that info, they swore that "one splitter won't matter at all" and "we'll schedule an appointment for Monday and send a field supervisor out with the technician". Today is monday and who did they send? Just a basic clueless tech, no field manager in sight.

So now they are back to square one. Want Dish, nobody will give a solid honest answer or any help at Dish. So i'm hoping someone at DIRT can help figure this out., or some input from people who know installation on the forum.

PM a member of DIRT. Dish Internet Response Team, employees of Dish who are members of the forum. Go to the very top of the forum. Near the bottom is a list of who is online. Their names will be in Red.

Ditto to the idea to contact DIRT. They can check the account, and get to the bottom of it. I am not an installer, but I feel pretty comfortable saying that yes, a single splitter can cause problems. The Hopper system is very sensitive about the cable run from the node to the Hopper and Joey units already, even older barrel connectors can cause problems. A mystery splitter in a line, buried in a wall somewhere, that will cause the MoCA system (the network of coax from each unit to the node) to have problems. Biggest issue with Joeys is the 1303/1305/1309 error, where it can't see the Hopper and vice versa. Often due to the sensitive nature of the system.

What each tech will do above the standard installation will vary, but in general, wall fishing is an extra cost.

Basically my parents are really fed up with cable and wanted to switch to Dish. One HWS and two Joeys.

They called, set up an appointment, had a tech come over and they refused to install it since there was a "splitter somewhere in the wall". Parents then had TWC come by to try to find the splitter, they refused to help and guessed they would need to break down a wall or re-run a whole new line. (Aren't there tools to be able to detect where a splitter might be?).

Called Dish back with that info, they swore that "one splitter won't matter at all" and "we'll schedule an appointment for Monday and send a field supervisor out with the technician". Today is monday and who did they send? Just a basic clueless tech, no field manager in sight.

So now they are back to square one. Want Dish, nobody will give a solid honest answer or any help at Dish. So i'm hoping someone at DIRT can help figure this out., or some input from people who know installation on the forum.

Well depending where the splitter is, is the issue. If at a Joey locations not so much. Just not at a Hopper location. That needs to be rated to 3ghz.

But I agree you need a tech with more experience out.

And getting a manager onsite is not as easy as it sounds no matter what the csr says.

If the tech onsite refuses to attempt the install make him explain the issue very clearly then demand to speak with an fsm, and then demand to have one arrive.

Sorry to hear about their inconvinence.

Sounds like either you had a very lazy tech or your parents strongly insisted on using existing cables. By the book installer should ran brand new, DNS approved line to a hopper, at least.
So, either this guy didn't want to do the job or your parents would not agree on pulling new lines, in which case tech is not at fault.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

We run into homes that have splitters behind walls a lot and it's a huge pain. There are many times when we are unable to do the install.

Usually you can run new lines (although there are situations that it would not be possible to do it in a way you like), but if you want them all wall fished that may cost extra.

There have been plenty installs where I had to run new cable because the existing stuff wouldn't trace out because of splitters or some other reason. That's not a reason to not do the install unless something else is going on.

Former tech here.
This solution is for the tech to install a new cable to the room in question. This is standard operating procedure.
I find id outrageous that a service tech in the TV business would walk away from a job because of the need to install a cable.
What the hell would the tech have done if there were NO cable in that room? Walk away?
Are you certain you are giving us ALL of the details here. Something smells here.
And if I am a cable system manager and a former customer who left my company for a competitor asked me to have one of my guys locate a splitter in a wall (no there is no magic splitter detector) I'd have said "Sure! As long as you come back to the cable company for your TV. Otherwise the answer is NO".

We run into homes that have splitters behind walls a lot and it's a huge pain. There are many times when we are unable to do the install.

Why would it be impossible to perform the install? Is there some kind of new breed of tech that does not run new cabling?

High end houses with all in wall cabling and finished basements don't want use to run new lines or drill new holes and when their rg59 cable degrades their signal beyond comprehension its our fault

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

Yea, that. Especially the two story ones.

Very rarely there is a splitter inside a wall. Usually its in a wall plate, basement or attic.

Why can't the installer just run a new cable?

You operating under assumption of unchanging enviroment.
Unfortunately installers come across situation where customer drywall finshed basement or replaced siding where cables were ran.
Installer can run cable almost everytime. As long as customer agrees on it.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts