Mariners land Bedard.

It's about time. This has to have been the longest trade ever. Hopefully one of the prospects will help the Orioles in a few years. Good Luck to the Mariners Fans. Maybe this will be what finally gets you to a World Series.

So whats wrong with Bedard?

Why would a team desperate for talent, trade their best pitcher?

Because they finally realized that they need to build a solid team for the long haul instead of trying to buy overpriced veteran talent. McPhail has a plan, but it's going to take longer than Bedard (or Brian Roberts, who is probably next out the door) wants to wait. Hopefully all of these prospects pan out and they're starting to get good in 2-3 years.

Because they finally realized that they need to build a solid team for the long haul instead of trying to buy overpriced veteran talent. McPhail has a plan, but it's going to take longer than Bedard (or Brian Roberts, who is probably next out the door) wants to wait. Hopefully all of these prospects pan out and they're starting to get good in 2-3 years.

Agreed. The Orioles could trade Bedard now and get 5 players in return, or watch him sign with another team in 2 years and get nothing in return. Probably should have traded Mussina when we had the chance too.

Should be interesting to see who we can get for Roberts. O's may trade a few other veterans before the All Star Break (Not that there are many left).

Pretty good trade for the O's. They got more for Bedard than the Twins got for Santana.

Yeah they did. Hopefully some of these prospects will pan out to. I was suprised that the Twins didn't hold out for more.

Maybe the Orioles finally have a decent GM that the owner won't chase out of town.

Maybe the Orioles finally have a decent GM that the owner won't chase out of town.

The interesting thing about that is that Angelos has already nixed one of McPhail's trades (last year, for Roberts)... but as it turns out, the O's were much better off not making it. I'm sure that's not going to help his control-freak nature...

Exactly, so why trade a young solid pitcher who wasnt costing you a fortune?

Exactly, so why trade a young solid pitcher who wasnt costing you a fortune?

Because he doesn't want to be around while they stink for the next 3+ years, so he's not going to be happy, and he will leave before they get good - at which point they'll get nothing in return.

If you're not worried about winning for the next two years and you can get 5 prospects (one of whom is considered one of the best in baseball) now, it makes perfect sense.

Because he doesn't want to be around while they stink for the next 3+ years, so he's not going to be happy, and he will leave before they get good - at which point they'll get nothing in return.

If you're not worried about winning for the next two years and you can get 5 prospects (one of whom is considered one of the best in baseball) now, it makes perfect sense.

Agreed. Plus, Bedard is as old as Santana (28) and the O's got more players for a pitcher that wasn't as proven.

I didn't hear about Angelos nixing the deal the Roberts last year. Who were they supposed to get for him?

This just adds more insult to the Twins trade for Santana. Bedard is not in the same league as Santana and it looks like the Orioles for once made the best trade.

Bedard was a lost cause. He had rejected offers from the Orioles and told them that he did not want to be part of the Organization. He had a bad experience with them through negotiations and did not want to stay.

Yeah, I'm glad that deal wasn't made. If we could get another starting pitcher from the Cubs though, that would be great.

I would love it if the O's traded Roberts to the Cubs. Hopefully they get some youth that makes them better, and I get to watch my favorite player play for my 2nd favorite team while the O's are rebuilding...

This just adds more insult to the Twins trade for Santana. Bedard is not in the same league as Santana and it looks like the Orioles for once made the best trade.

Bedard was a lost cause. He had rejected offers from the Orioles and told them that he did not want to be part of the Organization. He had a bad experience with them through negotiations and did not want to stay.

On paper, it does appear the Orioles made a better deal, then the Twins did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts