Mark Cuban and VOOM??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Blazon

Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
could someone pse explain to this new voom subscriber, and non-techie, what relationship/affiliation, if any, Cuban has with VOOM?

i think i read he started HDTV and now has 100 million plus sunk in it funding, int al, eight production crews world.wide producing HD content, at least 15 new hours a week...is some of this content now on VOOM (equator etc), is it exclusive or sold to all comers?

and is he just a content provider or do his ambitions run higher? why doesn't he buy VOOM while it's still struggling? with his wallet and his stated total belief in HD and his maverick personality it would seem a marriage made in heaven...

Blazon

correct me if im wrong, but didnt this guy say he didnt want anything to do with voom somewhere?

Cablevision = Northeast Sports & executive personalities
Cuban = SW sports and executive personalities'

A sports related pi$$ing contest means Voom subscribers don't get HDnet, et al.

Petty, childish, and worse, unrelated to offering worlld class HD. It is almost enough to make a free marketeer yearn for segregation of sports franchises from station carriage, etc. I said almost.

Mark Cuban is the founder of the HDNET and HDNET Movies channels, which are the leading providers of HD at present. IMO the PQ is the best, but the programming is pretty much on par with what you will find on the VOOM Exclusives - just a lot less.

As Scott mentioned, it is reported that Cuban and Dolan dislike one another, which is why the HDNETs are not being carried by VOOM.

Rainbow Media Enterprises, to include Rainbow DBS (VOOM), are being spun-off from CableVision with the older Dolan taking the helm. Private sources of funding are being solicited, but IMO Microsoft has the financial and technical resources to take VOOM to the next level and make them a very competitive DBS provider.

rkr0923 said:
would you buy a business millions of dollars in the hole
so why would he

From the business standpoint, it doesn't matter much that they are losing money now. It matters whether they have a serious potential to make money.

And yes, many good business deals involve buying companies that are close to bankruptcy. You can buy them cheap...

andrzej said:
From the business standpoint, it doesn't matter much that they are losing money now. It matters whether they have a serious potential to make money.

And yes, many good business deals involve buying companies that are close to bankruptcy. You can buy them cheap...

I agree and Cuban or other potential buyers may not like the Voom business plan.

Of course, some buyers- buy companies in order to put them out of business.

riffjim4069 said:
Mark Cuban is the founder of the HDNET and HDNET Movies channels, which are the leading providers of HD at present. IMO the PQ is the best, but the programming is pretty much on par with what you will find on the VOOM Exclusives - just a lot less.

As Scott mentioned, it is reported that Cuban and Dolan dislike one another, which is why the HDNETs are not being carried by VOOM.

Rainbow Media Enterprises, to include Rainbow DBS (VOOM), are being spun-off from CableVision with the older Dolan taking the helm. Private sources of funding are being solicited, but IMO Microsoft has the financial and technical resources to take VOOM to the next level and make them a very competitive DBS provider.

Why would Microsoft get into the SAT business? They could never dominate (DTV) which is always what they plan.

Many analysts say Microsoft can't dominate Sony in the video game market and they are making a damn good stab at it. Buying Voom and expanding it, allowing it to license WM9 and the marketing engine THAT IS Microsoft, I am willing to bet they lose money at first, but could easily turn Voom into a DBS mega-giant.

Do you think they've always made money by having the superior product? Marketing my man, marketing!

Seawaves said:
Why would Microsoft get into the SAT business? They could never dominate (DTV) which is always what they plan.

The plan is not to dominate right out of the gate. Same with Xbox, offer a better system, same price, great content and get an install base. Then come out with the latest, greatest whatever and keep adding in from GOOD word of mouth.

Seawaves said:
Actually, Microsoft is already in the sat business. I don't know if they've launched yet, but about 3 years ago, I remember reading where they were going to launch something like 35 sats around the globe to bring telecom to remote villages around the world so those poor natives can share in the blue screen of death with the rest of the world. :p

That multiple satellite venture (whose name escapes me), last I heard, has gone kaput couple of years ago. I heard some are still trying though...

Hong.

An example of Microsoft strategy at work is their new watch service that you get local news, email, weather, recipes on you watch. The thing that makes this so interesting is that Microsoft went around, very quietly, purchasing FM bandwidth in major markets to make this thing work.

So is buying a sat. company out of the realm for Microsoft....I think not.

mkwillia said:
An example of Microsoft strategy at work is their new watch service that you get local news, email, weather, recipes on you watch. The thing that makes this so interesting is that Microsoft went around, very quietly, purchasing FM bandwidth in major markets to make this thing work.

So is buying a sat. company out of the realm for Microsoft....I think not.

Somewhere- this thread left Cuban and went the the "GATES" of hell.

Oh yeah- Microsoft has invented the first watch that-locks up! The worlds tiniest blue screen of death.

Voom and Cuban will dance together soon enough. Once Vooms gets 100K subs, say next June.

Seawaves said:
Somewhere- this thread left Cuban and went the the "GATES" of hell.

Oh yeah- Microsoft has invented the first watch that-locks up! The worlds tiniest blue screen of death.

Voom and Cuban will dance together soon enough. Once Vooms gets 100K subs, say next June.
The thing I'm wondering about is will Voom make it to 100k subs without HDNet. Seems like many folks are "holding out" for it.

As someone who just re-subbed to DirecTV in addition to Voom just to get HDnet, holding it out for it is just plain silly. It isn't an issue of economics, it's just shortsighted to pass up Voom for one or two stations, particularly ones that will never come to Voom, in my subjective opinion.

HDNET is well worth the $9.95/month from Dish. As it is, I watch most of my programming there anyway. For you HDNET guys, there's a bikini heads-up late Sunday night or early Monday morning: (in addition to Bikini Destinations and Hotlines and Hawaiin Tropic and Texas Photoshoot and Mavericks Cheerleader Tryouts........)

3:00 AM ET / 12:00 AM PT
Rumbles
Fights! Laughs! Bikinis! Comedians, athletes and media types run a ruthless, yet hilarious, commentary on wild sports brawls. Tyson v. Lewis, Ryan v. Ventura, Hooligan c. Hooligan.

FunkyBoss said:
The thing I'm wondering about is will Voom make it to 100k subs without HDNet. Seems like many folks are "holding out" for it.

I agree that many may be holding out. I re-subbed back to DTV for that channel.

If Voom can only get to 100k subs by next June they will be on the block. Hey- that would be cool...if we tuned into the Auction Channel, and there's Voom!

Cuban WAS a pioneer in HDTV a few years ago. Then he got distracted by the Mavericks and now has a TV show on ABC this fall. Ironically, he knocks 720p in the current issue of HighDef Magazine and his fall show airs in 720p. (Tee hee)
VOOM is the new pioneer in High Definition TV and has taken that lead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts