Maryland getting screwed over by Dish for Big 10 Network

Agree, with the cheaper aspect, But that's why I chose them , but just because I choose Dish, Doesn't mean I Worship them, or Charlie and everything they do.

I see many areas of things that could've been improved upon with those Millions and Billions of dollars in lost lawsuits in the past 10 years.

Again, I'm happy with my service, But Dish and Charlie open themselves up for Lawsuits and Bad press when they claim to deliver the same such offerings for less, when in reality they don't.

You do compromise for that Dish Network savings especially when it comes to HD, and Sports.

Are you exaggerating, or has Dish actually lost Billions of dollars in lawsuits for claiming to "deliver the same such offerings for less"?

I NEVER said anywhere in my post that dish lost Billions because of claiming to have more or same for less.

Tivo and Voom were Huge lost lawsuit payouts.

Even though Dish "lost" the lawsuit, they really won. They got the TIVO tech for a discount rate in the form of a settlement.

$500 million is hardly a discount rate. And let's not even get into the lawyer fees and court costs and time that when into avoiding this payout.

And let's not forget the $700 million to Voom.

Hardly a small spanking.

So should FX charge more to be broadcast to include a new hit show and if the provider doesn't pony up, they can withhold that program?
you are comparing apples to oranges here
FX is a BASIC channel
The OP (and others in Maryland) have to PAY EXTRA to get BTN and they still don't get their teams games.
BTN wanted their station as part of the RSN's in the states where there is as B1G team. I guess in Maryland and NJ that is not the case. That requires the sportspack. And they still block the game out? How screwed up is that?

The areas that have BTN in the "basic" package (with their RSN) can see all the games but folks who PAY for the sportspack can't? It doesnt make sense. Its not costing anyone anything extra (because I know folks freak out thinking their bill will go up because of sports) because in Maryland its part of the sportspack which is extra,

It really stinks. The channel providers can do whatever they want and some want to blame Charlie Ergen for it. Raining today? Blame cheap Charlie.
meanwhile some people think Charlie can do no wrong ;)

You say fx is a basic channel and not paid extra for... Ok, what if HBO did as described? What if companies like Fox hold their news station hostage, unless Dish pays more for a channel unrelated? Should HBO be allowed to do that? Is it ethical of Fox to do that? So then why is it ok when a sports channel does it?

You say fx is a basic channel and not paid extra for...
I never said it...I was replying to that statement ;)

Ok, what if HBO did as described?
good example. Maybe they should try it ;)
Actually it was mentioned in post 6

So then why is it ok when a sports channel does it?
in this case (again) the OP (and others in Maryland) have to pay extra to get BTN (when other BTN states don't) and yet they don't get their teams games?

And he still gets BTN and all the other channels that come with it. That is the undisputed fact. Where the confusion comes in, is BTN not allowing dish to air their newly acquired market, unless paid more. This is why Dish says "restrictions may apply to availability." You're right, he chooses to pay more for the multisport package(not BTN) and if he doesn't like that he can't get that game, removal is simple and he won't be charged. If he chooses to keep it, then it is a consumer choice. 9/10 times they will waive the programming change fee for such an occasion.

The benefits that came with it is where the steal was at..
That is a whole other topic.
And I've yet seen any benifits from any of it. Rainbow satellite was old and broken down.
And I don't see any features that the Hopper has that that resembles the Roamios.
Which I might add run circle around these Hoppers and Joey in performance.
So IMO Charlie isn't any better off stealing technology from Tivo when all you got out of it was Pre VIP technology, which were some of the worst functioning receivers on the market.

And the VIP'S ?? Hardly earth shattering breakthrough

But again this is about Big Ten, And if Charlie Didn't lose so much money on infringements and corner cutting lawsuits, we wouldn't be having this conversation. There would be more money in the pot.

But what do you really expect from a professional Gambler.

Last edited:
I never said it...I was replying to that statement ;)

good example. Maybe they should try it ;)
Actually it was mentioned in post 6

in this case (again) the OP (and others in Maryland) have to pay extra to get BTN (when other BTN states don't) and yet they don't get their teams games?
Exactly, its like paying for $19 for HBO, but the Customers in Maryland aren't aloud to watch any West channels, But still have to pay $19.

Reactions: Mr Tony
And he still gets BTN and all the other channels that come with it.
but the OP isn't getting the programming on the channel they want. This isnt like when people buy the sportspack thinking they can circumvent the pro rules and get a Angels game in Missouri. I know when I had the sports pack there would be college football and basketball games blacked out because they were on the out of market package. In this case the game is ONLY on BTN. And everyone except for Maryland could see the game

you are comparing apples to oranges here
FX is a BASIC channel
The OP (and others in Maryland) have to PAY EXTRA to get BTN and they still don't get their teams games.
That's odd because when "basic" channels like FX go off the air, the protests don't sound too quiet.
BTN wanted their station as part of the RSN's in the states where there is as B1G team. I guess in Maryland and NJ that is not the case. That requires the sportspack. And they still block the game out? How screwed up is that?
As you may remember in my post, I questioned your use of the blind pronoun "they". The "they" is BTN, not Dish. Dish won't pay more for a channel they already have a working contract for. The BTN has x number of teams, at y amount per subscriber. That is the cost to Dish. BTN sees a team in Maryland available and adds them to the conference to help generate more revenue. It is a racket. Time for the Big Ten to add a team from California? How about Texas Tech?

If Dish knows there will be more subs, they would try to economize the per sub rate. BTN changed the rules on them post contract. It certainly isn't fair to the customer, but you are ragging on Charlie Ergen, when the Cartels definitely have a heavy hand in this.

meanwhile some people think Charlie can do no wrong ;)
Sure, but I'm not one of them. I also don't go posting in other Cable/Sat forums of companies I don't subscribe to complain about them either.

I've paid for the Big 10 network through the multi-sports pack which Dish network required me to purchase to have access to the channel. Over the last year I've been able to watch zero Maryland games on the Big 10 network because they are blacked out. Meanwhile my neighbor who has DTV watches every game. I'm paying for the channel and I should be able to watch Maryland games since I freaking live in Maryland . They are not televised on any other channels
That is the main sticking point of these sports blackouts. That is the fact that games are blacked out due to geographic concerns, yet are not available on any other local tv outlet. As far as I am concerned in order for an event to be blacked out in the market of the home team, there MUST be an alternative to view the event locally.
Now, with regard to your situation with The Big 10 network, I am a bit confused. U of M is a Big Ten school..Most, including myself would be led to believe that U of Md sports would be shown in an adjacent to the markets of Baltimore and Washington, DC.....And most likely the Salisbury DMA as well.
When U of MD was a part of the ACC, did this same problem exist?

I've paid for the Big 10 network through the multi-sports pack which Dish network required me to purchase to have access to the channel. Over the last year I've been able to watch zero Maryland games on the Big 10 network because they are blacked out. Meanwhile my neighbor who has DTV watches every game. I'm paying for the channel and I should be able to watch Maryland games since I freaking live in Maryland . They are not televised on any other channels
The next two games....Sat vs USF and the following game vs U of WV are on ESPNU and Fox Sports 1 respectively...The game vs Michigan however is carried by BTN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts