Mass HD Content

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AIA_SMALZ_11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Maybe someone can explian this better for me. I have been lurking on several different hometheater websites trying to get the latest news on new HD channels coming soon. What baffles me is, how can Voom have sooooo many HD channels compared to DirecTv and Dish Network. I know that they have a lot of channels that most of us could care less about, but the others like TNT, Starz, Cinemax ect are the ones we most want on our perspective service providers. Why is it that they can lead the industry as far as HD content while others seem to be dragging their feet? Is is the red-tape, contracts, pricing?!??!?!?!?! What gives?!?!?!?!?!?

Its a combo of everything you mentioned plus a lack of available transponder space. D* and E* use a ton of of their space for local retransmission, something that V* does not do.

I'd rather have what we have than what Voom offers.....Watch Paint Dry and Watch Grass Grow in HD just don't get for me. Although I am confused about the TNTHD thing, they have been working on this for over a year, or so were told.

AIA_SMALZ_11 said:
Maybe someone can explian this better for me. I have been lurking on several different hometheater websites trying to get the latest news on new HD channels coming soon. What baffles me is, how can Voom have sooooo many HD channels compared to DirecTv and Dish Network. I know that they have a lot of channels that most of us could care less about, but the others like TNT, Starz, Cinemax ect are the ones we most want on our perspective service providers. Why is it that they can lead the industry as far as HD content while others seem to be dragging their feet? Is is the red-tape, contracts, pricing?!??!?!?!?! What gives?!?!?!?!?!?

order voom, and you will see 40 or 39 channels (depends on what you read) or 7 channels is only as good as the provider and in 2 experiences with voom voom is horrible, pic qual is horrible (i can only speak about my house as i am the only in this area that has it as far as i know) ive been looking for dishes LOL. i also have directv , i called service (protection plan) tech was here 2 days later, replacement hd box thru fedex the following day. i am waiting 17 days for a tech from voom, SAME INSTALLERS ? thats what i hear ! welll then voom must be the problem ! i have to think that, directv install, service great, voom not HMMMM you figure it out

rkr0923 said:
I'd rather have what we have than what Voom offers.....Watch Paint Dry and Watch Grass Grow in HD just don't get for me. Although I am confused about the TNTHD thing, they have been working on this for over a year, or so were told.

I'd rather they dropped some of their locals to make room for HD feed of the networks. The only time I watch my locals is during prime time anyway!!! But, I guess I may be part of a minority...

Fgsilva said:
I'd rather they dropped some of their locals to make room for HD feed of the networks. The only time I watch my locals is during prime time anyway!!!

So wouldn't that represent the same programming?

Local affiliate prime time programming IS the network programming.

It would be great if the FCC could just do away with the illegal monopolies of local affiliates and just go to an East & West HD feed of each network and let local news and weather fall back to the radio and newspapers. If a local company wants to provide LOCAL news and weather stories on TV, then let them do it part-time two or three times per day on their dime without a network. Then we could all get the same thing without the DMA crap and all have HD via DBS. Think of the sweet bandwidth reclaimed and the spectrum that the FCC could reallocate.

The time has come; the local affiliate system is old and dead.

AIA_SMALZ_11 said:

Adding starzHD, cinemaxHD, TMCHD, EncoreHD, TNTHD simply will not make D* anymore money. Those HD subs getting total choice premiere would simply have those channels appear at not extra cost. The amount of HD viewers is relatively small and those that would add additional premium subscriptions just isnt that large. D* will make much more money signing up new subs by offering HD LIL. I suspect you wont see any premium HD additions until after the HDLIL crusade is over in about 3 years. Just as D* HD viewers got next to no HD additions during the LIL crusade. It just doesnt line Ruperts pockets the way HDLIL will.

vurbano said:
Adding starzHD, cinemaxHD, TMCHD, EncoreHD, TNTHD simply will not make D* anymore money. Those HD subs getting total choice premiere would simply have those channels appear at not extra cost. The amount of HD viewers is relatively small and those that would add additional premium subscriptions just isnt that large. D* will make much more money signing up new subs by offering HD LIL. I suspect you wont see any premium HD additions until after the HDLIL crusade is over in about 3 years. Just as D* HD viewers got next to no HD additions during the LIL crusade. It just doesnt line Ruperts pockets the way HDLIL will.

I think you might be quite wrong on part of this. The part your right about is that D* will focus much more on HD LIL. What I think your wrong about is they won't do anything regarding national HD channels. Fact is if they have room which they will to add another 6 HD channels they have to. The reason I say this is because D* will have to decide if the cost of adding those 6 HD channels would be less than loosing 25% of their HD customers who have bills at least in the 40s per month. The problem is that people are always thinking about the money they can and cannot make with new HD channels while people have to instead ask themselves would D* loose more money from lost customers versus the cost of adding them to prevent that lost customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts