max dish distance from house (cable length)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi all,

I've found the "perfect" spot for my dish, but it's about 100 feet from where it'll enter the house, plus about 40 feet of wire inside.

Is there an "upper limit" on cable length before I need to worry about signal degredation?

Many thanks,
Jerry

Barring any other cuts in the line (direct from the LNBs to the receiver) I have personally seen a 158' run on a 10' C/Ku band dish that was just as good as a 50' run. I have read about some in the 175' range, but never seen them with my own eyes.

JerryK said:
Hi all,

I've found the "perfect" spot for my dish, but it's about 100 feet from where it'll enter the house, plus about 40 feet of wire inside.

Is there an "upper limit" on cable length before I need to worry about signal degredation?

Many thanks,
Jerry

That would not be a problem.

i think he is fine also, but he was worried about the extra 40' - 45' - his total run will be over 100' and about 140' or so according to his post.

charper1 said:
i think he is fine also, but he was worried about the extra 40' - 45' - his total run will be over 100' and about 140' or so according to his post.
oops missed that part. in that case then i would make sure to get 5 leg c band ribbon cable and not the cheap 4 leg stuff you see on ebay. the actuator wiring in the cheap stuff is a smaller guage then the 5 band, and i would be worried about loss due to resistance.

Hey MK, thanks for the real life length for the poster, are you running the 150' with or without an in-line amp? AND which cable are you running, if you know. Just so he will know if he reads this. Thanks

c-band ribbon cable

Hey guys, I just purchased a new 8 foot SAMI prime focus bud.
I am using a 13 degree pLL lnbf (astrotel) with one run of RG-6 Quad about 200 feet. I am using 18 awg 6 conductor brown thermostat wire (6 conductor, but only using 4 conductors 2 for pulse generator and 2 for motor voltage also ran 200 feet. Works great

Save major $$$$$$ on ribbon cable

charper1 said:
Hey MK, thanks for the real life length for the poster, are you running the 150' with or without an in-line amp? AND which cable are you running, if you know. Just so he will know if he reads this. Thanks

No amp and rg-6 ribbon cable and once it's inside I split it to go to an DVB receiver and a 4dtv.

I think you can go to 300 feet before you need an amp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)