Max distance dish to reciever with amplifier?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slider

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Colorado
I'm on a hillside in an aspen grove. I've found some spots up here that might be pretty good/ok but if I were to plant my 7.5' dish down by the road I'd have about the whole southern sky. Problem is I'm sure it's at least about 250' straight down the hill. What would be a maximum run If I were to use an inline amp and solid copper coax?

250' would not be an issue, but would recommend either quality quad shield RG6 or if your budget allows, RG11. No inline amp should be necessary for this short of run when using quality cable and minimal connectors / switches.

Coax: what Brian said.
No splices.
No cutting corners on cable nor connectors! :)

As for running the motor, I'm not sure.
I'd look up the voltage drop for #14 house wiring.
Probably one gauge up or down from there should get 'er done! ;)

Well I've found a spot much closer to the house (about 35') that I can clear around and get pretty good exposure. I may want to put up a second dish though for the western most sats. I'll go for that R11 cable anyway. Concerning the motor wire, what cable should I use for the Ajak to VBox? Looks like (according to the manual) there should be four wires plus a drain or shield wire. Is there a standard motor cable that has these? The cable from the prior user was snipped and only included two light gauge wires. One was to terminal three and one to terminal five. I'll ignore all that as it doesn't make a lot of sense. The only other setup issue I can see so far is that the Ajak manual is a little vague about how to set the declination angle. It says, "Set declination per tag on frame crossmember". I know how to figure the angle (Lat 40 plus 5 1/2 degrees) but the manual pictures are very dark and the description leaves it a mystery as exactly how to set the angle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts