Max number of boxes on D* Account

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I asked this about E* and then became interested in the difference. What is the max number of STB boxes you can have on a D* acocunt?

I am very interested in the answer myself. I am currently modulating my satellite receivers into my Cable Tv lineup. I do this for the simplicity of using the tuners built into most of my TV sets. I am planning on exspanding my Direct Tv receiver count to accomidate a majority of the Filipino programming on their lineup. (IE:The Filipino Channel, GMA, and PinoyCentralTV) This means I will have 3 receivers that will be tuned to one channel exclusively. I wonder if there is a way to save those multiple receiver charges and let them know that those 3 receivers are used exclusivly for 1 channel. I would call up customer support to let them know of my intentions, but I fear I wouldn't get a representative who was smart enough to comprehend my intentions.

HDTVFanAtic, I don't know what the limit is , but I have 7. When I recently upgraded one of them I would have had 8 on my account and had to explain to them that I was just swapping one for another. They had no problem at all with me having that many.

techdood, youcanhave justone reciever and have thesignal sent to all televisions. You won't be able to watch 2 different channels at the same time.

deezoneezo, you do not understand. I have receivers for every channel I want modulated into my cable system. An example is this, 1 receiver on channel 2060, 1 receiver on channel 2061, another on channel 2064 (and yes, those following my last post this is the exact senario I described.) I input these signals into a Channel Master 5445 to modulate them into my cable tv lineup. VIOLA! If each of the TV sets with tuners tunes into those respective channels from the modulator, they'd see the picture from those satellite receivers.
Now that its out of the way, I'd like to know if Direct Tv has a plan to which a receiver in one's household only tunes to ONE channel, can that customer be spared from any additional costs? I plan to stay with Direct Tv exclusively, since they have the NFL contract and will offer Local HD signals soon.

techdood said:
deezoneezo, you do not understand. I have receivers for every channel I want modulated into my cable system. An example is this, 1 receiver on channel 2060, 1 receiver on channel 2061, another on channel 2064 (and yes, those following my last post this is the exact senario I described.) I input these signals into a Channel Master 5445 to modulate them into my cable tv lineup. VIOLA! If each of the TV sets with tuners tunes into those respective channels from the modulator, they'd see the picture from those satellite receivers.
Now that its out of the way, I'd like to know if Direct Tv has a plan to which a receiver in one's household only tunes to ONE channel, can that customer be spared from any additional costs? I plan to stay with Direct Tv exclusively, since they have the NFL contract and will offer Local HD signals soon.

No you can't. You can't have them just program one channel per IRD.

I have to echo beast 37799... why in God's name would you want to do that? First off, even with a limited number of channels, you'd have to have a receiver for each channel (at $49 for the box and $4.99 a month for mirroring) and either a multiswitch big enough to feed all the receivers or a stacker at the dish (if you use D10-100s, they can destack the signals themselves.) For a 12 channels system, then, you'd spend about $600 for boxes ($300 if Robert would let you order that many under the forum discount) and at least $500 for a multiswitch or $200 for a stacker. Oh, and the stacker won't work on the 3 LNB dish, as far as I can find out. (If I'm wrong on this, I'd like to know.) You'd also have the $60 in mirror fees each month.

There's got to be an easier/cheaper solution... I don't know ANYone who likes their cable company THAT much!

Why do you not just get one box on each tv and diplex the cable in. Then you dont have to make things complicated. You could do it with a modulator system, like a small headend system, as you were saying but. WHY?

To answer your question 6 is the maximum number of receivers Directv will let you have on one Residental account.

i have 12 receivers 7 dtv tivos, and 1 rca 420 with replaytv attached
15 lines going into house for dtv
one eagle aspen 2*16 multiswitch

Ya, there isn't a limit on a residential account, and if there is, there is no literature in the CSR documentation that instructions them to take action when a nth receiver is activated.

Some celebs have a crapload of boxes.

Tate Satellites said:
Why do you not just get one box on each tv and diplex the cable in. Then you dont have to make things complicated. You could do it with a modulator system, like a small headend system, as you were saying but. WHY?

I'd love to have direct tv on all my sets and just diplex the cable in. However, Direct Tv's blackout policies on NFL Sunday ticket makes their package alot less attractive to me now. I'd only use direct tv for those channels I need to modulate, in my case those three filipino channels. My primary programming (SD) will be coming from FIOS, which doesnt use a coax. Comcast will provide the base for the modulation of channels and carry the channels not currently on the FIOS system. Dishnetwork is my HD provider. Now, I'm looking more at Bell for the NFL Sunday Ticket.
To get back to the forum topic, I really think there should be a package where if a receiver were to be used for 1 single channel, they'd at least waive the duplicate programming charge. It'd save money for a person like myself, and possibly consider them for additional receivers (HD in type) once they offer HD locals.

Well i know the largest multi-switch made today is an 80 way multi-switch. So a max of 80 irds per dish. but whos to say you can't have multiple dish's. And i believe signal integrity flags your account after 12 irds. So they will monitor closley but yes alot of people have tons of irds. most celebs seem to have anywhere from 10 -40.

And as for the NFL Blackouts. Nothing has changed! The only thing you cannot watch in the 700's is a game thats on your local station which has always been the rule. just not enforced until recent years.

I have heard stories that D* makes you plug in a phone line after 2+ receivers otherwise they shut off your IRDs until you comply.

bsilvertab said:
I have heard stories that D* makes you plug in a phone line after 2+ receivers otherwise they shut off your IRDs until you comply.

I have had some of my receives not attached to a phone line for years at a time. I never lost service on any of them.

bsilvertab said:

That's simply not true.

Well i know in the past few years D* has accepted the fact that more and more homeowners are going to moblie phones and no longer carrying a land line. So with that in mind the only reason they ask for a phone line is for Remote Control PPV'S.
So very highly unlikley. But i have all DVR's anyway's. Plus they always contact you in advance to see if you will comply before they shut you off. (normally)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)