Max number of receivers off of one dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vinmassaro

Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
CT
I had DirecTV service installed at my house in January 2011, with a brand new dish and an HR-24. My 2nd floor tenants got service and I told the installer I didn't want another dish on my roof. He said no problem and connected the 2nd floor apartment off of my dish. They have a separate account with 1 HR-24 and 2 regular receivers. I was told my dish could support 8 tuners. That's 6 out of 8 being used, right?

My first floor tenants decided they want DirecTV as well. That's 2 tuners left and I think they want at least 1 DVR and 2 non-DVR receivers (4 tuners total). I called DirecTV today to find out if there is a way to support more than 8 tuners off this dish, since I don't want another dish on my roof if I can avoid it. I was told that they "don't support my current configuration" and that every account is supposed to have its own dish. They said I'd have to ask the installer, which I found ridiculous. They've been supporting it for almost 2 years now, why is this not supported? Anyway, is there a way that I'd be able add more receivers to my current dish? It looks like there would be a total of 10 tuners. Thanks in advance.

Since Directv told you your dish can only support 8 tuners, that means you have a swm lnb. It can be swapped for a standard lnb and a swm16 switch instead. That would allow for up to 16 tuners. It could be expanded from that setup if necessary.

Thanks for the info. Do installers have these SWM16s usually or is it something that would need to be specially requested when my tenants order service?

Since Directv told you your dish can only support 8 tuners, that means you have a swm lnb. It can be swapped for a standard lnb and a swm16 switch instead. That would allow for up to 16 tuners. It could be expanded from that setup if necessary.

With the unusual way you and your neighbor are connecting, I'd suggest making sure the installer is aware of what you need.

The reason Directv does not support your setup, is because if there is a service issue, who is responsible for the service call.

Yes you can run more tuners off of the dish. It will have to be totally rewired for the new system. The problem is the tech is not going to have a work order with a SWM16 on it. As such he wont have a way to install one. He also won't be compensated for connection of all those aditional receivers, so he is not going to be very receptive of doing all that EXTRA work.

I would really reccomend contacting a local installer and having the system done before the other renter try's to order a system. It's going to cost you a little money, but if you only want it done your way, then that is what you will have to do. Otherwise I would let them install another dish, otherwise when ever you have a problem, all of you will need to be there to service the system.

Can you explain what you mean about it needing to be totally rewired? The dish has one line coming down to a large splitter outside the house. There's 4 runs from the splitter - 1 to my apartment and 3 to the second floor. The dish is on the roof of a large 3 story multi-family house - a lot of work to mount a new dish to begin with.

The reason Directv does not support your setup, is because if there is a service issue, who is responsible for the service call.

Yes you can run more tuners off of the dish. It will have to be totally rewired for the new system. The problem is the tech is not going to have a work order with a SWM16 on it. As such he wont have a way to install one. He also won't be compensated for connection of all those aditional receivers, so he is not going to be very receptive of doing all that EXTRA work.

I would really reccomend contacting a local installer and having the system done before the other renter try's to order a system. It's going to cost you a little money, but if you only want it done your way, then that is what you will have to do. Otherwise I would let them install another dish, otherwise when ever you have a problem, all of you will need to be there to service the system.

Can you explain what you mean about it needing to be totally rewired? The dish has one line coming down to a large splitter outside the house. There's 4 runs from the splitter - 1 to my apartment and 3 to the second floor. The dish is on the roof of a large 3 story multi-family house - a lot of work to mount a new dish to begin with.

There would need to be 4 lines down from the dish and a switch installed. Then multiple splitters would need to be installed. Then one line would need to be a power line. This may not sound like alot, but it sure can look like a mess on the side of a house. In this configuration if the power inserter goes out the whole system goes down, everyones system is out. Then you have to decide who has to pay the service call. If there is trouble with the system all people will need to be there for someone to service it, or have access to all the equipment.

Go to this part of the DIRECTV website http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conte...essConf=-3087386182595687089&assetId=P6610034 ,it's DIRECTV for building owners. Explain your situation to them & see if they can help. You might need a set up of a 4 cable out LNB & this kind of multiswitch,which I believe isolates the signals from each account in your home/building & prevents them from overlapping DIRECTV SWM32 Single Wire Multi-Switch with Power Supplies (32 Channel) (SWM-32) http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ies-(32-Channel)-(SWM32)&c=Multiswitches&sku= . If you ended up with say 3 tenants/tenant families(I don't know how many tenants your home/building can hold),plus your family,you'd all end up with the capacity to have up to 8 tuners each,& everybody would/should be responsible for their own accounts.

Thanks for this suggestion. I gave them a call and they were no help. The rep said they have no solution for us little guys and that you need a minimum of 11 units to become a DirecTV property. Oh well.

Go to this part of the DIRECTV website http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conte...essConf=-3087386182595687089&assetId=P6610034 ,it's DIRECTV for building owners. Explain your situation to them & see if they can help. You might need a set up of a 4 cable out LNB & this kind of multiswitch,which I believe isolates the signals from each account in your home/building & prevents them from overlapping DIRECTV SWM32 Single Wire Multi-Switch with Power Supplies (32 Channel) (SWM-32) http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ies-(32-Channel)-(SWM32)&c=Multiswitches&sku= . If you ended up with say 3 tenants/tenant families(I don't know how many tenants your home/building can hold),plus your family,you'd all end up with the capacity to have up to 8 tuners each,& everybody would/should be responsible for their own accounts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts