MAX unveiled (the new HBO Max & Discovery+)

syphix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA

With Ads
  • $9.99/month or $99.99/year
  • 1080p on 2 devices simultaneously
Ad-Free
  • $15.99/month or $149.99/year
  • 1080p on 2 devices simultaneously
  • Up to 30 offline downloads
Ultimate Ad-Free
  • $19.99/month or $199.99/year
  • 4K HDR + Dolby Atmos on 4 devices simultaneously
  • Up to 100 offline downloads

But what package do cable subscribers get?

Yeah I get it now from DISH Network for having HBO. What version will I get. And they are saying I have to pay more for 4K which is something I have been getting for FREE now with my HBO Max subscription?

I watched part of the press event and nothing really interested me in what I saw.

Kinda found my answer on the MAX.com website:
If you get HBO with your cable or satellite TV package, you may have access to Max at no extra cost. To find out if your TV provider will support Max, go to Ways to get Max.

Their link shows DISH as a participating partner (no surprise). I'm assuming it will just be the Ad-free (middle) tier.

Yeah, kinda sucks losing 4K as Disney+, Hulu & Amazon don't charge extra for that. But they seem to be following close to the Netflix price model.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm assuming it will just be the Ad-free (middle) tier.
Yeah, HBO via cable/sat will almost certainly come with the $15.99 HD ad-free tier. Can't see them automatically jacking up the cost of HBO on everyone's cable bill by another $4 per month, nor can I see them giving all those folks the $19.99 4K Max tier at no additional cost if HBO pricing stays where it is now. I assume HBO cable subs will have the option of going into their cable/sat account and upgrading to the 4K tier and paying the extra $4 per month.

I’m beginning to believe that MAX will not have all the Discovery+ content, only select titles. In fact, their FAQ supports that:

What happens if I subscribe to both HBO Max and discovery+?
When Max is available on May 23rd, HBO Max subscribers can stream all of HBO Max together with a selection of Discovery favorites on Max.

discovery+ will continue as a stand-alone service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does it include Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet? I’m still smarting over its unannounced removal from Dish. Enjoyed that show a lot, but can’t see paying for it with so much I’m already getting, free and paid.

Reminds me to cancel Acorn, since Doc Martin is gone.

So does it include Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet? I’m still smarting over its unannounced removal from Dish. Enjoyed that show a lot, but can’t see paying for it with so much I’m already getting, free and paid.
How can you watch that stuff, I remember watching an episode of a veterinary show, involved putting a puppy down, I have enough tragedy in my lifetime, I do not need to watch other’s grief.

Never have watch another.

Kinda found my answer on the MAX.com website:

Their link shows DISH as a participating partner (no surprise). I'm assuming it will just be the Ad-free (middle) tier.

Yeah, kinda sucks losing 4K as Disney+, Hulu & Amazon don't charge extra for that. But they seem to be following close to the Netflix price model.
From what I read elsewhere, current HBO MAX subscribers won't automatically be cut off from 4K content. They'll have it for another six months after the May 23 switchover at which time if they wish to continue receiving 4K, they'll have to pay the extra $4.

I personally don’t care for 4K
I personally don't see much difference between 1080p and 4k. Not enough to pay extra for it. I had Netflix with 4k and I honestly couldn't see that much difference between it and the HD version. I pay less for it by just taking standard plan instead of the 4k because T-mobile ( my cell provider) covers the basic Netflix plan at no extra cost.

I can’t find much for 5.1 or 7.1. I doubt I’d find much ATMOS to make the investment worthwhile. AQ and PQ both drive me to optical discs.

Combination of movies and TV shows. For instance I am currently watching Echo 3 on Apple, it has both Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Nice. I like DV. But the demo loops are always far better than what producers actually put in their works on screen.