Maximum cable length from dish??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MarkG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
What would be the maximum cable length of RG6 from the LNB connector to the receiver input before there would be significant problems?

Will the available satellite signal strength effect what this this length may be?,in otherwords if signal is strong at LNB, would a longer run of RG6 be less of an issue than if the signal were marginal?

If needing to exceed whatever this maximum length may be , are there in-line amplifiers available to compensate?

Normally, you lose 8db per 100ft of RG-6 cable. If you properly peak your dish, longer length wont be much of an issue. We've ran 140ft with no problems.

MarkG said:
What would be the maximum cable length of RG6 from the LNB connector to the receiver input before there would be significant problems?

Will the available satellite signal strength effect what this this length may be?,in otherwords if signal is strong at LNB, would a longer run of RG6 be less of an issue than if the signal were marginal?

If needing to exceed whatever this maximum length may be , are there in-line amplifiers available to compensate?

The systems are designed to tolerate roughly 200ft of cable, but that will vary based on the condition of the cable and whether and of what type any multiswitches present are.

In-line amplifiers powered from the coax can indeed be used for longer lines, but remember that amplifying after the signal is too weak does no good -- the amplifier should be within the first 100 feet of cable, where the signal is still solid, then the boost will keep it so over the remaining cable run.

If you have more specifics I can address specific solutions.

A stronger satellite signal will not materially affect how long the cable can be -- once it is too long it rapidly degrades the signal far more than a strong signal or bigger antenna can overcome.

fkostyn said:
My longest run in the house is about 200 ft
Same here. Don't know exactly but it is a little over 200ft and working just
find. I know it's a bit much but I have five splices in this run.

This number is also dependent upon cable quality. Those that have higher swept test ratings will allow for longer distances with lower signal loss. The max I have run is 240' with swpet test rating of 3,000 MHz. Without an amp.

I have ran up to 300ft of cable. They make inexpensive inline amps if a proplem occurs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts