Maximum manual recording time?

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
MTV is doing a "Teen Wolf" marathon next week. Instead of setting 12 timers from the program guide, does the Hopper has Maximum manual recording time restriction if I want to do a single continuous recording of 12 1-hour episodes?

I remember trying to do a similar manual recording for "The Real World" marathon in March and the DVR failed to record.

No max that I am aware of. Only thing to be cautious of is if there would be recording conflicts during the time span, with priority given to the other recordings, thus preventing the long event.

Haven't done a manual timer on the Hopper yet. Does it allow you to set priority/move up the sked timers list?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've done manual timers where I want only :55 from last hour to :05 of the next, and all worked very well. As for the OP, I don't think there is a "time" limit to a manual timer to run, and you can move the timer to the top of priority to be certain it won't be per-empted by other timers. It is EASIER to create the time, and then go to the Timers List and Move to Top. Trying to set the priority from the timer creation page can be painful if one has a lot of timers.

I disagree with one part. It is easier to set the priority when creating than from the timer list. The latter requires that all of the timers are juggled each press of the up/down arrow. Whereas in creating them the number is adjusted but is not executed until you accept the timer. This is noticeable when have 80 or more timers on my H2000. I hadn't seen the move to top when I first did this but I was moving 1/2 up anyway.

-Ken

I disagree with one part. It is easier to set the priority when creating than from the timer list. The latter requires that all of the timers are juggled each press of the up/down arrow. Whereas in creating them the number is adjusted but is not executed until you accept the timer. This is noticeable when have 80 or more timers on my H2000. I hadn't seen the move to top when I first did this but I was moving 1/2 up anyway.

-Ken

Yeah the priority menu is nearly useless. Half of the time it doesn't respond correctly, and 100% of the time each time you move the priority once it pulls you to the very top of the list. Sure is a good thing that you can still edit each timer individually.

Is that just on the Hopper, as I've never had issues with the priority list working properly on my 722.

Yeah. Works fine on the 722k. I guess the priority menu is a tad redundant but I like move to top and all the timers can be edited at once. I've reported it to whomever it may concern at Dish so hopefully they're aware.

Yeah the priority menu is nearly useless. Half of the time it doesn't respond correctly, and 100% of the time each time you move the priority once it pulls you to the very top of the list. Sure is a good thing that you can still edit each timer individually.

Yep, I hear ya, changing priorities in the timer list is way too slow for me. Much faster to change it in the individual edit timer menu or when creating a timer. I hardly ever have a priority issue, especially with the Hopper versus the VIP722. I use the timer list for just a listing of all my timers in channel/alphabetical order. I have my timer list in kinda two sections. The first section starting with priority one is all non big four networks OTA timers in channel order. The second section is all other programs in alphabetical order. I never delete timers unless I know the program is not airing again or if I have a timer/event limit issue. Keeping my list in this order is a lot easier for me to keep up with the timers. Hardly ever have a priority issue since most of the non big four network programs are usually scheduled several times a day or thru the month.

Haven't done a manual timer on the Hopper yet. Does it allow you to set priority/move up the sked timers list?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yep, you can set priority for manual timers. To me, if I set up a manual timer it is usually something important to record. So I have my DVR timer default priority set in highest. (Yellow - 5 - 1 - Priority - Highest) Any timer created automatically will set with priority one.

What I would like to see is the number of events associated with the timer so you know to look.
Now if you look at the schedule for a timer, when you come back you have lost your place.
If fact, you are dropped out of the timer menu or have a blank list.
-Ken

What I would like to see is the number of events associated with the timer so you know to look.
Now if you look at the schedule for a timer, when you come back you have lost your place.
If fact, you are dropped out of the timer menu or have a blank list.
-Ken

Yep, I hear ya. There is a lot of things needs to be fixed or smoothed out some.

-Ken

I meant it is far easier to move the time to the TOP,as in #1 position or close to it using the Timers Screen. I think the OP wanted that timer to be at #1 position or near, and that is why I suggested such. Or easier to select "Move to Bottom."

However I completely agree with you and others about the PITA it is to move timers in the Timer Screen. I really do hope Dish will get this to work as the ViP's. I usually find that it works better for me to set priority at the Timers Screen because I MOVE TO TOP and then move down just a little farther. This is way faster than the Timer Creation screen where I would have to work my way up by 60 timers to where I want to go and it is slow going.

To each their own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)