Maximum Number of Event Timers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I wish you could create a timer that was specific to channel #. For example I like to record on HBO on the alternate feed at a later time. If I select NEW for a series I get the HBO feed on 300 as expected I would like to be able to select to record all NEW of an episode on 303 only so that it record at a later time. This feature would also eliminate a lot of the timer counts for shows that show up on multiple stations.
My timers ALWAYS set up using a single channel. I go to the show I'm interested in, hit select, and set up the timer options (all eps, new eps, daily, etc), and save the timer. The show then only records on that channel, and the same show on other channels does not show up in the list.

I wish there was a way to do what I've just described and tell it to record the show from whatever channel it appears on.

Also, for someone that asked earlier, I have a 622. I'll check the number of events tonight (both with and without skips displayed).

My timers ALWAYS set up using a single channel. I go to the show I'm interested in, hit select, and set up the timer options (all eps, new eps, daily, etc), and save the timer. The show then only records on that channel, and the same show on other channels does not show up in the list.

I wish there was a way to do what I've just described and tell it to record the show from whatever channel it appears on.

Also, for someone that asked earlier, I have a 622. I'll check the number of events tonight (both with and without skips displayed).

If I understand what your wish is, then the recently enhanced Dish Pass will function as your desire.

For example, instead of using 5 timers to try and catch the BBC/HBO series extras when it plays on any of the HBO multiplex channels, I now use Dish Pass and select "New Episodes" and all channels (a specific channels can also be selected).

Now, if a higher priority recording is programmed, the DVR will, of course, skip the HBO East recording, but will Restore the HBO West showing that had been skipped. Let's say another higher priority recording is created. The DVR will skip the HBO West showing but Restore the HBO2 East Showing. This can go on and etc.

I have quite a few timers now using the enhanced Dish Pass for many shows or movies that can appear on multiple channels.

If I understand what your wish is, then the recently enhanced Dish Pass will function as your desire.
I guess I'll give Dish Pass another look.

Now, if a higher priority recording is programmed, the DVR will, of course, skip the HBO East recording, but will Restore the HBO West showing that had been skipped. Let's say another higher priority recording is created. The DVR will skip the HBO West showing but Restore the HBO2 East Showing. This can go on and etc.
This touches on a pet peeve I have with the way the DVR handles timers. Let's say I have 3 timers that air at the following times:

1 - 8pm, 11pm
2 - 8pm
3 - 8pm

The ONLY way I can get all three of these timers to record without changing the priority of the timers is to manually skip the highest priority timer, and it will then record at 11pm.

The DVR should see this situation and handle it for me without me having to be involved.

Oh, and by the way, I checked, and I have 78 timers and 179 events. I seriously thought it was more... :)

This touches on a pet peeve I have with the way the DVR handles timers. Let's say I have 3 timers that air at the following times:

1 - 8pm, 11pm
2 - 8pm
3 - 8pm

The ONLY way I can get all three of these timers to record without changing the priority of the timers is to manually skip the highest priority timer, and it will then record at 11pm.

The DVR should see this situation and handle it for me without me having to be involved.

The problem is that it can never quite know enough about your situation.

In your example, Show 1 might be a show that my wife and I are going to sit down and watch at 9:30pm. If it automatically records it at 11pm, we will have to wait until the next day.

In my situation, Show 3 might be something that I record every night but don't always watch. So it would be "correct" for the DVR to skip that to record Show 1 in my situation, while in your situation, you would rather have all 3 shows record, even if Show 1 is recorded later.

While it is theoretically possible for the software to allow all the above to be specified by users, companies like E* will never implement that level of complexity because it will confuse Joe Sixpack, and the cost of developing it is more than the return from the small number of people who would use it.

I think they should allow people that want it greater control over what records when. Like an advanced mode or something. That way, Joe can have his setup like it is currently, but people like myself that want something different than the norm could have more control.

As it is, I have to go in every day, or every few days and manually go through my timers to see if something that I'm interested in is going to get skipped.

The irritating thing about my scenario is that if show 3 were airing later, I believe it would pick it up and record it then.

I don't know what the answer is, and overall, I'm happy with the DVR. I just want to have better control over what records without having to go in there all the time to tweak timers so that they record correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts