May 1st where will you be? Dish, Cable or DirecTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
philhu said:
Just signed up for Comcast digital cable.

Not a great service, it does have about 9 hd channels, does have a 2 channel hd-pvr. Got the all channel platinum, using the 'drop the dish' promo, for only $6.25 more than I was paying for digital classic+hd box.

This is good for 16 months.

Not a bad deal. So, say hi to inhd and inhd2 again, goodbye to Voom 21 :(

No more flipper, thunderbirds :( :(

So how is the SD picture quality. I had Comcast years ago I heard it has improved though. Are channels like MTV and Comedy Central watchable?

dnyce said:
So how is the SD picture quality. I had Comcast years ago I heard it has improved though. Are channels like MTV and Comedy Central watchable?

The problem with asking this type of question is that his SD picture quality can be 180 degrees from what you will see, or even his neighbor across the street. Since every cable drop can be different, unlike DBS where everyone gets the same signal, the only way you can really tell is to get it installed yourself and see if the quality meets your needs.

rad said:
The problem with asking this type of question is that his SD picture quality can be 180 degrees from what you will see, or even his neighbor across the street. Since every cable drop can be different, unlike DBS where everyone gets the same signal, the only way you can really tell is to get it installed yourself and see if the quality meets your needs.

Thanks.
So if my signal is terrible is there anything I can make Comcast do?
My house was built in 97 so I figure the Cable lines in the area are new. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though.
Regardless this is probably just temporary until Football Season then it's DirecTV. It's just going to hurt to trade in a $9.95 month HD DVR for a $800 HD DVR. That thing better be awesome!

philhu said:
Just signed up for Comcast digital cable.

Not a great service, it does have about 9 hd channels, does have a 2 channel hd-pvr. Got the all channel platinum, using the 'drop the dish' promo, for only $6.25 more than I was paying for digital classic+hd box.

No luck here. I was told Drop the Dish only applies to D* and E*.

I just dont know if I can give Comcast $68 / month for BASIC cable. Best offer I could get was $58 per month for 1 year, plus $10 for the HD-DVR. I don't know. I had Comcast analog cable about 6 years ago, and the PQ was horrible.

-John

dnyce said:
Thanks.
My house was built in 97 so I figure the Cable lines in the area are new. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though.
Regardless this is probably just temporary until Football Season then it's DirecTV. It's just going to hurt to trade in a $9.95 month HD DVR for a $800 HD DVR. That thing better be awesome!

Again, it's all going to depening on your system and what they'll do for you. I tried Comcast about 14 months ago and there were a couple of analog channels that didn't look very good. The tech's that came out to the house agreed but after a few weeks and many visits they couldn't figure out what the problem was, they were still willing to try to resolve it but I got tired of all the service appointments and just stayed with D*.

Due to D*'s lack of new HD and our Comcast system having Staz and Cineman HD channels, InHD and InHD2 and the local Comcast SportsNet games in HD, plus the rumor of TNT-HD being added very soon Im giving them another shot, they'll install again in 2 weeks. Hoping they work out better this time.

rad said:
Due to D*'s lack of new HD and our Comcast system having Staz and Cineman HD channels, InHD and InHD2 and the local Comcast SportsNet games in HD, plus the rumor of TNT-HD being added very soon Im giving them another shot, they'll install again in 2 weeks. Hoping they work out better this time.

Pretty much my thinking too; plus, they are offering a sweet deal to us in chicago, which will bring my television bill down to 1/2 of what it was; not as much HD, but for about $50 per month, I will get there Digital Platinum pkg for 12 months, and they will lower my cable modem bill $15.00 per month also!

Direct TV full pkg would cost almost $130 per month, which is just totally insane for HD lite...

dnyce said:
Thanks.

Don't forget that Comcast will be switching to an all-digital format by the end of this year in all of their markets, according to widely published reports (do a Google search: Comcast and "Digital Simulcast"). At that time, the SD picture quality of digital cable should be as good as any satellite provider an all the channels, not just those over 99. Plus you'll get real HD, not HD-lite, whatever that may be (I've never seen it myself, but I'd like to see it in person to compare someday).

Comcast will also be keeping analog service around for the indefinite future, so you can still have basic cable on your smaller TVs without requiring a set-top box.

All-digital cable is clearly going to be the trend (in my highly non-expert opinion) for all but the smallest cable operators, as they scramble to compete with DirecTV and Dish Network. I feel pretty lucky that my analog picture quality with Comcast is nearly as good as any Voom channel ever was (and I know a lot of people aren't so lucky), but I'm still looking forward to an all-digital feed.

I was thinking about keeping E* as my failover, but after checking their programming a few more times and noticing how crappy (and expensive) their equipment is, I'm pretty much ready to go with TWC once again here in Houston (at least I will not have to pay anything for their HD equipment).

If I decide to go with them, I'll be paying around $100 a month for their full premium package, all of their HDs (HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPN HD, TNT HD, iN HD, iN HD2, Discovery HD, KUHT PBS 8 HD, KRIV FOX 26 HD, KHOU CBS 11 HD, KPRC NBC 2 HD, KTRK ABC 13 HD, HBO East HD, HBO West HD, Showtime East HD and Showtime West HD) and a leased HD-PVR unit. Additionally, I may be able to get a good deal on my high-speed Internet access through them, but I'm not sure about it yet.

Comcast wants $44.00 a month just for standard basic cable so no way will I go with cable. I am planning on reconnecting with Dish Network with their Top 60 plus package and no HD. I would have to buy another HD receiver so forget that. I will miss Voom. I really liked it. :(

You'd still be paying like $40 with all the taxes and sh*t (and more if you have more than one IRD) with Dish for that package... believe me, that was the plan I had for a while after moving to Voom.

I'm thinking comcast will get my money for a few months until D* get's their $h1t together. They are running a deal right now for Digital Plus and STARZ free for 3 months. The HD BOX is free and for $9.95/mo I can get the DVR.. I just wish the box did OTA so I could record the local channels they dont offer.

I'd keep trying until you got a comcast rep that will 'deal'

I called for the drop the dish program.

Ordered Platinum service, and an hd-dvr.

Install is this afternoon.

Ended up getting $45/mo for 16 months off, waived $5/mo for the hd-dvr ($10/mon instead of $15)

I had basic cable and internet, so they also threw on a discount of $15/mo for a package of internet and digital cable.

Total with internet $100.55/mo

Take off the internet, it is $58.60/mo (For 14 months)

Boston HD includes 7 locals, DHD, Starz, HBO, MAX, SHO, TMC, ESPN, INHD1, INHD2 (No UHD or TNTHD and movie channels east coast only)

Also includes On Demand, which is kind of cool.

Well,
It looks like my sat days are up for a while. My Voom will be gone and I am canceling Dish. I am going to Adelphia. This is what they have in Charles Town WV, about 42 miles from DC.

Starz HD, Cinimax HD, Sho HD, HBO HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD1, INHD2, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2HD and NFL HD. They also have all of the DC HD locals. Not as much as Voom, but more than E* and D*.

I am getting Two HD DVR's and one HD box.

Wayne

This is just crap, going on my 5th month of Voom and deeply in love with it.
Cant belive its going to end..........Ok, anybody in Orange County California? I have no Idea where to turn to for anything even close to Voom. I am sincerly hoping something comes up by the end of the month.....I really cant see them just shutting off the satellite, there has to be another copany just waiting to snatch up Voom....
Any help is good, and thanks for all the comments here, it is helpful.

After trying to read as many of these posts as possible, I know that several hundred people have checked in and gave their opinions. I guess that it's my turn and I'm glad that I didn't disconnect my BUD because that's about my best option I have for the foreseeable future.

Dish Roamer said:
Well,
It looks like my sat days are up for a while. My Voom will be gone and I am canceling Dish. I am going to Adelphia. This is what they have in Charles Town WV, about 42 miles from DC.

Starz HD, Cinimax HD, Sho HD, HBO HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD1, INHD2, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2HD and NFL HD. They also have all of the DC HD locals. Not as much as Voom, but more than E* and D*.

I am getting Two HD DVR's and one HD box.

Wayne

My God! That is the best HD lineup I've ever seen aside from Voom ofcourse. All your missing is TNT.
Comcast in South Florida we just have the Pay Movie channels, locals, Inhd1, Inhd2, ESPN, and Discovery. I'd love to have the HDNet's, ESPN2 and NFL HD.
That is a great alternative.

jgantert said:
No luck here. I was told Drop the Dish only applies to D* and E*.

I just dont know if I can give Comcast $68 / month for BASIC cable. Best offer I could get was $58 per month for 1 year, plus $10 for the HD-DVR. I don't know. I had Comcast analog cable about 6 years ago, and the PQ was horrible.

-John

Pick up an obsolete, even broken, E* or D* box on eBay for $20. Then tell Comca$t that you are switching from E* or D*. Give them the old box when they come out to install.

Like others, I do not see any really viable alternatives to Voom at the moment. Just a lot of speculation regarding what other providers MIGHT do with HD.

Given the uncertainty, cable seems like the most viable short-term option. Lowest cost (especially with a dump the dish offer), no lock in, no equipment to purchase, etc. If E* or D* do something dramatic in the coming months it will be easy to jump from Cable. If you are locked in to E* or D* either financially or contractually it will be tougher to jump elsewhere.

For now, the reality is that you are being forced to trade in your Ferarri for a choice of a Yugo or a Hyundai. At the moment there really is no substitute for Voom.

Comcast Buyback Program

Amphicar770 said:
Pick up an obsolete, even broken, E* or D* box on eBay for $20. Then tell Comca$t that you are switching from E* or D*. Give them the old box when they come out to install.

No need. Comcast is willing to give Voom Refugees the same great deal they give to people that leave Dish & Direct TV. They don't want you to go to D* or E*. I called them and they said they would treat us Voomers to the same deals. I think it is Digital Cable for $63/month and $10/months gets HD and 2 channel DVR. Now if they would only add more HD content!

Wayne

Oh, this is going to be PAINFUL.

I just got off the phone with the most clueless Comcast Rep on earth.

I called about the DISH Winback program. She puts me on hold for 20 minutes and then comes back with $10/month less on my cable modem bill. I tell her I currently have 3 HD receivers. Now she is completely confused, how can I have 3 HD STB's when I do not have cable service.

I told her I would think about it and call back later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts