May 1st where will you be? Dish, Cable or DirecTV?

I have directv standard right now - I actually tried to upgrade to HD directv before I became a Voom subscriber, but the installers couldn't acquire the 3 necessary sats from my property. Bummer for me, because I HAVE to have NFL Sunday Ticket. So that means my choices are either to go with cable and lose Sunday Ticket, or stick with standard directv and settle for a crappy picture on my 55" LCD screen.

Anyone know whether when *D changes to MPEG-4 it'll be on a satellite higher on the horizon?

As of right now, I'm leaning towards going with TWC, but I'm not thrilled about it.

Hi
WE rented our 55 in. HDTV to go with VoOm, so we called Aaron Rents had them pick up the TV, Called DISH to sign up again ( they wanted $120.00 to sign up as we had dish before Voom,Went with Direct.
$19.99 sign up ,2 receivers , DVD player , & total choice plus + local channels $46.98 per month,
no paychannels, no HDTV -not worth the price.
we do not have O T A channels , mountain in way
bob
northern AZ

judybob said:
...WE rented our 55 in. HDTV to go with VoOm, so we called Aaron Rents had them pick up the TV...
Smart move! You are the first people I heard of renting the HDTV as well as the Voom stb. Had I known that Voom would go under within 12 months (we subscribed last May), I definitely would not have bought our HDTV and rented instead. There is just not enough HD out there without Voom to justify owning an HDTV.

1080iBeVuMin said:
Smart move! You are the first people I heard of renting the HDTV as well as the Voom stb. Had I known that Voom would go under within 12 months (we subscribed last May), I definitely would not have bought our HDTV and rented instead. There is just not enough HD out there without Voom to justify owning an HDTV.

I, too, subscribed to Voom last May. At that time I had a hdtv for a year and a half without any hd.
I bought the set specifically for the improved picture quality to watch dvds as compared to my old analog set, NOT to watch hd. So renting a hdtv in order to receive hd content might be a good idea, that was not my intent. When Voom is gone I will have my 5 local hd stations as well as my dvds and that is more than enough for me to justify having a hdtv.

Tarhog said:
I have directv standard right now - I actually tried to upgrade to HD directv before I became a Voom subscriber, but the installers couldn't acquire the 3 necessary sats from my property. Bummer for me, because I HAVE to have NFL Sunday Ticket. So that means my choices are either to go with cable and lose Sunday Ticket, or stick with standard directv and settle for a crappy picture on my 55" LCD screen.

Anyone know whether when *D changes to MPEG-4 it'll be on a satellite higher on the horizon?

As of right now, I'm leaning towards going with TWC, but I'm not thrilled about it.
D*s new sats will be at 99 and 102.8 so if you can see D*s main sat (101) then you can see the new sats.

jimmykce1 said:
So far most of us are going back to our local cable company. This is surprising to me to see.

I am not at all surprised. Most of us went to Voom for the HD. At this time, in most instances, cable offers the most HD at considerably lower cost versus E* or D*. There is also no commitment in terms of contract or financial outlay so it is easy to switch later IF the others get their act together.

I went with Directv and got an HD-Tivo. My cable company is Cox and the only additional HD channel is Starz. Directv announced the most aggressive HD plan, but if Cox or Dish offers the Voom 21 and/or DirecTV does not offer uncompressed HD I will go to the better offer. I myself am a movie buff and liked some of the voom channels, but there recent addition of Wealthtv was the best. The show envy will give you one good reason to watch. The rest of there programming is very good and if you like discovery hd you will like wealth. they just need to up the bandwith they send it out as.

Amphicar770 said:
I am not at all surprised. Most of us went to Voom for the HD. At this time, in most instances, cable offers the most HD at considerably lower cost versus E* or D*. There is also no commitment in terms of contract or financial outlay so it is easy to switch later IF the others get their act together.

I too decided to go back to cable. Also I am getting a DVR.

Dish Roamer said:
Well,
It looks like my sat days are up for a while. My Voom will be gone and I am canceling Dish. I am going to Adelphia. This is what they have in Charles Town WV, about 42 miles from DC.

Starz HD, Cinimax HD, Sho HD, HBO HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD1, INHD2, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2HD and NFL HD. They also have all of the DC HD locals. Not as much as Voom, but more than E* and D*.

I am getting Two HD DVR's and one HD box.

Wayne

Well,
I had my Adelphia install Friday and everything is so far so good. The SD on the Basic channels is not as good as I had hoped, but the Digital SD look just as good as DBS. The HD Channels look great. I do not see the pixing much at all and the Moto HD DVR's are great, no lock ups yet. I get all of the above HD channels that I mentioned above. I even recorded a HD Tune up utillity that showed up early in the morning on INHD. I must say I am content.....for now.

Wayne

I just went to dish-lite aka dish. I like that I can recieve the analogs over the box too. Though the installer didn't know about the locals and thought the only ones recieved were through the satellite. He kept saying "Dish doesn't have locals". When he left I got to the scan locals and sure enough they were all there as before with VOOM. Also I could scan for Analog too. I live 70mi from my locals and all come in perfect(from austin) except 1 VHF. Now a BIG NEGATIVE. He took down the VOOM dish and used their wiring even though I told him I wanted it kept up. By the time I new about it, he was gone and the VOOM dish was on the ground. He seemed to use the mounting for his dish.
Patrick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)