May 1st where will you be? Dish, Cable or DirecTV?

Netflix, back to MPEG2 and DVD's for me. I just looked at D* and E* and Cable's web pages....never realized how bad they actually S***!, until now.

Well I was gonna maybe do DTV with HD since I already have DTV DVR installed. I had kept DTV going till deciding if was happy with voom. Now that the keep voom & cancel DTV option is gone Ive also looked into other options. Apparently I can get Comcast Cable WITH ABC NBC CBS Fox PBS &WB all in HD via cable, not OTA, All the movie channels and thier HD variations plus misc hd's, & a duel recording hd DVR for 84 a month if agree to a 16 month commitment (if want a second DVR box just add 9.99 a month more) so really considering going with Comcast now.

Does anyone have some experience with comcast am curious as to the PQ of both the SD and HD channels as well as their reliability in the Denver Area if I go this route which seems the best price vs pkg/goodies you can get plus you don't have to shell out $1K for a hddvr box.If there is a thread somewhere with the info Im looking for could someone post a link.

I never stopped by Directv subscription but I did cancel the HD Lite Pack that I will start up again I guess.

chaos said:
I love VOOM and want to keep it but barring a miracle that'll get VOOM resurrected, what are our alternatives?

DirecTV seems to be closest to VOOM with what they're offering (local HD programming w/OTA). On the other hand Dish is purchasing VOOM's satellite... I suppose it's pure speculation right now as to what Dish's plans are.

As it stands now DirecTV looks like the better option. Any thoughts? I want my HDTV. I can't go back to watching LOST in SD. :no

DirecTV is the worst PQ from all, especially when it comes to SD.
Why do you need them if we'll keep our Voom boxes for OTA?

I'm seriously sad and angry at the same time. I'll probably spend a lot of money on tapes to be able to record as much as I can during the next 3 weeks.

My thoughts? I have no idea, frankly.
Cablevision cable (Optimum/iO TV) denies my avenue - despite they do serve here -, so my choices are:

TWCNYC
Dish
DirecTV

I really don't have any idea which one is the best option but I do know I don't want to go back to DirecTV - that's the worst PQ I've ever seen...

Is there any Firewire-enabled HDDVR box from TWCNYC?
If so, they are just as good as Dish, I guess - are they?

At the same time I really hope one of them will pick up us, Voomers and start offering a syndicated Voom-package as an extra package... I'm fine up to $100-110 per month total for three rooms (including tax, rental fee w/ DVRs, everything).
It's 50-60K extra subscriber by default after all and also PLENTY of HD programming, even if they merge or get rid of some of them.

Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered Comcast. Will be getting all the movie channels,thier stuff in hd thats avail including all my local networks in HD via cable not OTA, & 2 hd dvr units for a cost of $93.94. Only requirment is commiting to keeping service for 16 months and was told can downgrade pkg and even cut back a DVR unit at anytime without it being considered a breach if theirs any shortage of coin on my end so really had nothing to lose giving them a shot. Still wish Voom could survive but if Voom21 gets offered to cable/sat providers I wont be suprised if most services would pick it up. Anyway Voom'n till the end but backup is already in place at least. Will post how compares to Voom PQ next monday since they are actually installing this sunday.

I chose OTA Only which is what I will initially have. Sometime this summer I will be getting ExpressVu or I may just get a new LNB and receiver for my old BUD and subscribe to just the HDTV channels

BTW with ExpressVu you can now subscribe to upto 20 HD channels (they carry more, but some are regional IE: you can't get both HD movie channels only 1)

I found VOOM because I had Comcast and Comcast SD was so poor it was unwatchable on a 50" plasma. The HD was fine, but when I watched Fox, or CNN, or MSNBC, etc. it was a nightmare. At least the SD on D and E are watchable.

VOOm was perfect, and this is really sad.

I just barely got Voom, and I'm spoiled. I don't think I could stomach D*, E*, and I won't even consider Cox Cable...

I think I'm just going to go OTA for a while. The Voom antenna has given me spectacular OTA reception, and I think I can survive with that until a true Voom replacement comes along.

bookwalk said:
Which Direct TV HD box is $299 and do you have to buy it from Direct TV? Ultimate Electronics is going out of business and having a liquidator sale Apr 20 and they sell Direct TV HD boxes--but not sure which to pick from if they have a great deal.

The one I have is made by Samsung. It's actually a much nicer box than Voom's. It has a set of component inputs so you can run your DVD player through and it will be upconverted to 1080i. This doesn't seem to actually help the picture quality any, but it's a good option for convenience.

Maybe you can get a better deal than I got. I ordered mine by calling Directv.

Are all Ultimate Electronics going out of business?

Not sure for me.

Comcast has an offer for 3 months free with Starz, so I'll probably take them up on it. Sounds like the SD quality is horrible, so I might not end up with them.

Kinda tempted to just go back to SD D* (with my old RCA Dolby Digital box -- one of my favorites!) and just HD OTA. I did spend a lot of money on the antenna system so it would be kind of a waste to go with cable (although they only offer 5 OTA HD channels but only 1 is a DC channel).

Dish is out of the question, as their receivers sound pretty bad.

Damn, I'm going to miss MonstersHD!!!!! :(

-John

T2k said:
DirecTV is the worst PQ from all, especially when it comes to SD.
Why do you need them if we'll keep our Voom boxes for OTA?

I'm seriously sad and angry at the same time. I'll probably spend a lot of money on tapes to be able to record as much as I can during the next 3 weeks.

My thoughts? I have no idea, frankly.
Cablevision cable (Optimum/iO TV) denies my avenue - despite they do serve here -, so my choices are:

TWCNYC
Dish
DirecTV

I really don't have any idea which one is the best option but I do know I don't want to go back to DirecTV - that's the worst PQ I've ever seen...

Is there any Firewire-enabled HDDVR box from TWCNYC?
If so, they are just as good as Dish, I guess - are they?

At the same time I really hope one of them will pick up us, Voomers and start offering a syndicated Voom-package as an extra package... I'm fine up to $100-110 per month total for three rooms (including tax, rental fee w/ DVRs, everything).
It's 50-60K extra subscriber by default after all and also PLENTY of HD programming, even if they merge or get rid of some of them.
Well I had D* & E* at the same time and E* was much worse and thats the opnion's of about 6 different people that looked at my system. But I guess we all could be blind.

Possibly back to provider merry-go-round. First we're going to see if SureWest cable (SD service) has worked out their bugs yet (install set for 04/30). They also said they *might* have HD sometime this summer (but we are going to ask at corporate as I'm not sure the CSR knew what my husband was talking about). I don't feel like going back to Comcast just yet. I was originally going to go just digital OTA (if we get to keep the boxes and they don't send the kill for OTA, or just get an OTA box of Ebay maybe), but I want Comedy Central for the Daily Show and some other things. I'll be checking in periodically to see what E* and D* have to offer.

Does anyone have, or would get Cablevision IO? I don't think that was mentioned much (but I haven't combed through everything), which I assume is because CV isn't in your area.

I will continue to use my trusty ole BUD. I will however have to renew my yearly subscription to Discovery HD Theatre. But not until Voom goes dark. Hopefully, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD and Cinemax HD east and west will start letting us BUD-a-holics receive their HD programming. And lets not forget Universal HD or the Movie Channel HD along with Showtime HD east. I would also like to see Outdoor Channel HD as well as HDNET and HDNet Movies on my 4dtv. I would only consider D* or E* if one of or both picks up the Voom exclusives.

I guess I will go with cable for a while and see what comes next. At least with cable I do not need to sign a contract.

Cable

TW Cable

Wife likes Cable more, so she is happy...

While the amount of HD isn't as good or the pic quality as good...on the bright side, here are the benefits:
1) DVR (HD-DVR)
2) On-Demand
3) HD-PPV
4) INHD and HDNET
5) Free to all rooms
6) Got a deal for $51/month guaranteed for 2 years for all channels

I'll miss the superior picture, quantity of HD and RAVE...but oh well, there are pros and cons

HD_Eric said:
TW Cable

Wife likes Cable more, so she is happy...

While the amount of HD isn't as good or the pic quality as good...on the bright side, here are the benefits:
1) DVR (HD-DVR)
2) On-Demand
3) HD-PPV
4) INHD and HDNET
5) Free to all rooms
6) Got a deal for $51/month guaranteed for 2 years for all channels

I'll miss the superior picture, quantity of HD and RAVE...but oh well, there are pros and cons

And we get Fox Sports Regionals!!!!!! I am sad to see VOOM go as the only channel I wanted them to add was Fox Sports West. VOOM had the best clicker(remote control) and menu I've ever seen, and of course, the HD programming. We always have the memories people :)

Unfortunately I took the plunge and scheduled Comcast to install later this month before Voom goes dark.

After discussing options and telling the Comcast csr that I was thinking switching from Satellite(I didnt tell her Voom), she offered me a teaser rate to switch me over. I think the key is to tell them you're currenlty a satellite sub to get the best offers.

Their HD service is limited obviously, but I'm getting the HD Box, with DVR, all their digital channels, In demand, + HBO HD for $39.99/mo.....at the 4th month it goes up to @74.95 or I can shave $15 by removing HBO HD.

The loss of HD sucks, but the DVR will make the wife happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)