May 22nd......

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
an expensive day for HD enthusiasts. 14 titles coming to both formats.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (HD DVD)
Apocalypto (Blu-ray)
Closer (Blu-ray)
The Complete Matrix Trilogy (HD DVD for now)
Flags of Our Fathers (Both)
Freedom Writers (Both)
Letters from Iwo Jima (Both)
M:I-2 (Both)
Mission: Impossible (Both)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (Blu-ray)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Blu-ray)
The Skeleton Key (HD DVD)
Smokey and the Bandit (HD DVD)
The Ultimate Matrix Collection (HD DVD for now)

I ended up purchasing 7 titles between the two formats: 4 HD-DVD and 3 Blue. I did end up buying POC to replace my SdDVD's. The girls were kind of bugging me about it, so I caved :D I still think they should have released Dead Man's Chest at release, but hey what's another $20 in Disney's pocket:rolleyes:

I ended up purchasing Flags, Letters, and Freedom Writers in HD-DVD just because of the audio. We all know what Warner and Paramount do with their BD titles. Flags is DD on BD, wheras it is TrueHd on HD-DVD. According to the specs on Highdefdigest, Letters does have TrueHD, but I decided to keep the two movies as a set on the same format.

S~

Yes, and expensive week!

I bought Matrix Trilogy, Letters from Iwo Jima & Flags of our Fathers on HD DVD. I previous had purchased the MI Trilogy. Freedom Writers sound more like a rental and is in my Netflix Q.

I plan to purchase Apocalypto & POTC Dead Man's Chest on Blu-ray. I've never seen Dead Man's Chest; I rented Curse of the Black Pearl on DVD and wasn't that wowed, and no kids around to enjoy. But most folks say Dead Man's Chest is much better, and the HighdefDigest review says Disney "knocked it out of the ballpark" on that one.

But, I'm holding off on the PCM encoded blu-ray's for now, until I get an AV receiver with HDMI. I can only get 2 channel PCM with digital optical on my current receiver. The Fox & LG titles with DTS sound pretty nice even through optical. I rented X-men3 and have Night at the Museum (purchase) on the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)