Maybe finally some cheaper FTA prices...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't keep up with all the hacker forums like you guys... but last I read many months ago, there was someone who did figure out directv but wasn't releasing it in the public for obvious reasons that (s)he wants the hack to not get hit with any ecm in the forseeable future... I've also read that powervu is the ONLY uncrackable encryption method to date, so kinda makes you wonder why more haven't moved towards using it yet.

I find it interesting to read some of the stuff on the other boards. Honestly it's not something I do often. Just a few times a month cause of the over all difficulty in wading through the horrible postings/wording and the non-stop whining.

I also know that many people here also visit the other sites too. I don't think there is anything wrong with reading the info and learning, but using that knowledge and the files on the sites is something I will not do out of pure ethics (my father ran his own business for 52 years and I know how I felt if someoone stole or defrauded us) and of course since it's flat out illegal.

I don't think I have ever even posted a single entry on any of the other sites. Not even in the true fta parts.

As for the current ECM, it looks like bell backed off almost completely for now, maybe the calm before the storm. The people who know how to read the stream data say the whole snippet of code involved in the ECM is out of the picture (for now).

What amazes me is these people have some superb technical abilities, I wonder what their real jobs are. I don't believe they are full-time doing the 3rd party stuff.

We need all those people with their technical abilities to create more advanced and faster true FTA receivers, a FTA receiver that has technology similar to a spectrum analyzer should be able to blind search instantaneously, or if that is too expensive I am sure they will find another way.

Also a receiver that can decode all formats like DVB, Digicipher, 8PSK, Dolby E(Audio), Analog plus blind search and other would be really nice.

I think if more companies like Dish and Direct would move towards Powervu then it would end up hacked. The more people that use the same encryption the more likely it is to get hacked. I've not read up on the forums about these things for a long time but just have heard about it. One guy told me that they could get it to work for like one or two seconds while I think another said they can only get it to clear off PPV's if I remember correctly. I don't even know if any of that is true as you know how you can just hear things.

Maybe the reason why they chose not to go with it is due to the fact that they are in on the black market getting money from those that wouldn't do a regular subscription anyways. I've read where Echostar was involved in the 80's with the C-Band boards.

I have come across some of the other forums - WOW! I can't follow the posts at all! I almost gave up in my search for an FTA board years ago. Then I found this site!

Well, to update those that are keeping up on it (and those who like me are waiting to hopefully see a buying oppurtinity on some new boxes). It seems the ECM was causing problems with legit subs. Supposedly in a filing that someone dug up, Dish/Bell admitted to some faulty design in the early runs of chips and embedded cards of certain receivers.

All anyone who went through the directv days keeps talking about is how very similar this approach is compared to what finally locked pretty much everyone out of Directv. Although from what I understand this one is targeting FTA boxes and the people who have real stb's and have modified them have been fine.

I guess FTA is the biggest group now?

I just wish if there are any dealer organizations now, that they would do some advertising for the true fta hobby, charlies lawyers are trying to criminalize all of us by lumping us all with the pirates.
I don't trust that guy nor his company for a minute.

Did some followup reading today, Dish has yet to implement any ECM (maybe waiting till Sunday morning? right before footbcall games :) ). Bell put it back in place, and took down everything FTA wise, except one company has in IKS (Internet Key Sharing) setup on their receivers and have apparently come up with a routine that gets around the ECM.

Don't know how secure these guys feel getting updates from the web and servers through a public network. Oh well.

I think the biggest problem for the providers now is the limitations on some of the stb's in the field. They openly admitted some of them can't handle the complex ECM's and had to pull it back. Even some of the ones with embedded cards, so it's not all old receivers.

Don't know how secure these guys feel getting updates from the web and servers through a public network. Oh well.
Nothing like a mob running around stealing stuff together... geesh. Hopefully the fbi or someone will go and just take em all down at once by following ip addresses.

Well, ECM is being countered and now there is talk that this new routine from bell gave many of the programmers insight into how Directv does their signal with the dynamic code updates.

Well, ECM is being countered and now there is talk that this new routine from bell gave many of the programmers insight into how Directv does their signal with the dynamic code updates.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't feel that this site is an appropriate avenue to share information such as this. The thread indicating cheap equipment because of hacking's demise is "borderline" in my mind, but when we start discussing the nuances of hacking/targets/counter defenses, that's stepping too far into the hacker's territory for my comfort.

Lumpkin, I understand your concern. Basically what I was trying to get across is that it looks like there will not be any cheap prices yet. I have no problem if they close or even delete the thread.

I felt like it was a decent way to share info, but did not want to get into a full-blown discussion on it. I know your history with the stuff and respect that. I just find it intriguing to read up on it. Reading and acting upon info gained are two different things.

Reading and acting upon info gained are two different things.
Very true. Just because there are websites on the internet showing you how to build a pipe bomb doesn't mean you should go do it, just like you shouldn't go and kill someone after learning how to do it from a movie or a book (even the Bible mentions murders that were done a long time ago and something about how they were done but that doesn't keep people from reading it)....

Knowledge = power.

While some say Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely, I'm going to go more along the Spider man path and say with Great Power comes Great Responsibility.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't feel that this site is an appropriate avenue to share information such as this. The thread indicating cheap equipment because of hacking's demise is "borderline" in my mind, but when we start discussing the nuances of hacking/targets/counter defenses, that's stepping too far into the hacker's territory for my comfort.

I agree. If anybody wants that type of info, it is very easily found on the internet, it doesn't need to be posted on SatelliteGuys :) I am very happy with how clean this board is kept.

Please, read this with the understanding that I am not upset/mad or feel threatened. Just a friendly conversation tone is being used (I know how this stuff can get misinterpreted)

alright, I'll drop it, no big deal. I don't feel that I was posting anything other than news similar to the viewtech lawsuit with Echostar. I've seen stuff from others posted about ECM's and such that affect the FTA community so I figured I would post now and then what I know. I started following the whole thing just cause I happened by one day and saw the info posted on another site.

I wasn't posting technical info, names of sites or people that I see on the other sites that I also see here. But if it's too borderline, I can respect that and will not post anymore info/updates. It's not a free speach issue, I know how that works and it does not apply here :) I don't want to make anyone suspicious of me or my intentions. I sure as heck don't want to get banned over something like this and I hope if a mod had a problem with it they would have PM'd me by now to tell me to stop.

Hackers are VERY nervous.....DISH and Bell are morphing the code and the hackers are having to change files every few days, some as soon as a every few HOURS.
Seems like the providers have finally found a way to stop stealing, or at least slow it down. :up

And besides, I am READY for a sub-200.00 HD PVR DualTuner FTA receiver on Ebay. :)

Hackers are VERY nervous.....DISH and Bell are morphing the code and the hackers are having to change files every few days, some as soon as a every few HOURS.
Seems like the providers have finally found a way to stop stealing, or at least slow it down. :up

And besides, I am READY for a sub-200.00 HD PVR DualTuner FTA receiver on Ebay. :)

I've been looking over ebay keeping an eye out for deals too. So far, the prices on ebay haven't been adjusted to reflect the inability of the receivers to steal the programming.

I am very pleased that the providers are finally getting the upper hand. I'm going to be ready to buy some cheap FTA gear when the prices do finally drop. It should be interesting to see what happens to FTA prices after the dust settles, and all of the FTA gear has been unloaded at rock bottom prices. I bet in the long run that we'll see prices go back up again due to the lower sales volumes of FTA sets, and I also think that some manufacturers will get out of the business alltogether when their sales go from Tens of Thousands per week to just a few dozen receivers per week..

I actually saw somebody on one of those sites suggest "true fta" by moving dish to G10 last nite, saying there was good tv there and no sub required! lol now you know they're desperate.

turbosat - Yes, True FTA will be a good option for everyone, but a lot of those people with FTA receivers only have 18" dishes. The 33" dish manufacturers should increase production a little bit so that they've got stock for the increased demand that will be coming shortly :) Although I suspect that we will see a lot of people who are simply stealing programming will either go back to cable or *gasp* subscribe to Bell or Dish Network...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts