Maybe Leaving Dish for DTV: Good or Bad Idea?

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
I was with Dish for 14 years, went to DTV for 2 years, and came back to Dish 14 months ago, but when I entered my second year with Dish, my monthly bill jumped $50. I knew that the bill would increase in the second year, but $50 all at once was a shock, so now I’m thinking about returning to DTV for their new subscriber offers.

I know that I will have to pay Dish an ETF for leaving before 2 years are up, but I think that the DTV savings will cover the ETF after a few months. DTV sends me ‘please come back’ letters, offering me deals if I return. Until recently, DTV was offering me a $200 Visa card, but that seems to have disappeared.

I would like to hear opinions about whether or not my thinking is good, bad, or whatever. Also any other suggestions will be appreciated.

My wife and I are living on Social Security and a teacher’s pension, so pinching pennies is important for us.

Richard

I guess it depends on what you mean by a good or bad idea? Certainly for me either satellite service is good but you have had both so you don't need an opinion on that. If you find it saves you money and are just as happy with Directv I guess why not. Then at some point you go back to DISH and get savings. Be sure to watch any recordings you may have saved including if you use an external hard drive.

Reactions: satjay
From your post it sounds like you have 10 months left on contract with dish. That puts your etf at $200, definitely factor that in your decision.

Which package level are you on? If you drop down from say, AT250 to AT120, you could save $25 a month. Could you ride that out for 10 months?

A person can keep their bill down and not really sacrifice much, especially in today's world.

For penny pinching, having a roku should go without saying.

Dish america packages are often over looked also. There's moneys savings with those packages.

Equipment fees can also be reduced with a little creativity. If the situation allows 2 or more tv's to watch the same channel. Receivers can be eliminated by mirroring tv's to the remaining receiver(s). Lots of ways to do this and in hd as well.

Reactions: dishdude and Tampa8
Also, don't forget to talk to the loyalty team at Dish. They are the retention department, the same as the DatV ones that are sending you "please come back" offers. I know last year they were offering customers $50x12 credits for return offers. If you think DTV is truly in your best interest, you are best to go to them. If it is just about the money, however, there are definitely means to accomplish your goal.

Well, you clearly didn't understand the contract you signed with Dish ("$50 all at once was a shock"). Do you clearly understand the DTV deal...do you know the contract price for the 2nd year of DTV? If so, you can do the math (DTV monthly savings 1st year; higher DTV monthy price 2nd year; Dish ETF). If not, sounds like you're in for another shock...

I think the First problem is you're looking at only the promo pricing and on whether you can afford one of the other based on that.

I determine whether I can afford something when it's full price, Not promo prices.

Reactions: Bobby
I just did this about two months ago and haven't regretted it at all.

After going through 3 hoppers in 12 months I was fed up. I had only been back with Dish for 12 months after many years with DTV.

When you call DTV make sure you tell them about your ETF With Dish and they may still offer you a $200 VISA, at least they did for me. The VISA card offset my ETF making it a no brainier choice. The reason I left DTV to start with was the HR34, which was and still is, a piece of junk. Now I have an HR44-700 and it's awesome.

On a side note the DTV retention department is much more aggressive than Dish in offering perks to keep subscribers. At the end of 12 months call them and explain your circumstances. In the past they have went out of their way to accommodate. I am also a senior living on a fixed income. Then again, with the ATT merger everything may change at any time!

When I had DISH first time around, in my second year... I was attempting to get discounts from DISH every so often, which they would discount 5-10 bucks a month for 3 months. I also eventually dropped down to the Welcome Pack for the last few months without issue. Standard def bothered me, but it was OK as I still got Food and HGTV... a must have in our house. We just came back to DISH due to their 2 year price lock with DVR included. You just have to do what you have to do. You could also save a decent amount with DISH America as some mentioned. I think it is like $50 a month, isn't it?

will you switch again when your directv new sub offers run out?

drop the package, lose receivers, ect.

never base the cost on new sub deals, look at what it is after they are up

What I am hearing is that you can't afford sat tv without a substantial discount.

Do you have broadband? If so, I'd recommend trying Sling TV if you have a Roku. You get less (no DVR, fewer channels), but it costs much much less!

will you switch again when your directv new sub offers run out?

drop the package, lose receivers, ect.

never base the cost on new sub deals, look at what it is after they are up

Why not? This is just TV, not something I live or die by. My only loyalty lies with my wallet. As long as the providers allow the game to be played, I will be a participant. I've been with DTV 3 times and Dish 2 times. This was the first time I used the ETF but it was also the first time I had a receiver go out 3 times in the first year!

As far as the loss of receivers, in this case it was a very good thing. When I left DTV I had an HR34 which was quirky and slow to say the least. So I moved to Dish and got the hopper. Was ok for awhile and then the hard drive started to fail, all three of them. Now I'm back with DTV and have an HR44. Awesome receiver. Life goes on.

Like I said, it's just TV.

Ok, here’s my current thinking regarding leaving Dish and returning to DTV.

My current monthly payment to Dish with 1 TV and America’s Everything Pack is $159.90, with 10 months remaining on my Dish 2-year commitment.

If I return to DTV, the monthly payment for months 1 through 12 with a Genie, 1 TV, and the Premiere Package will be $121.62.

So if I switch back to DTV, my satellite TV expenses for the next 12 months will be the following:
Dish: $1,918.80
DTV: $1,459.44 + $200 ETF = $1,659.44
12-month savings by returning to DTV: $259.36

I know that the DTV monthly payment will go up in months 13-24, but I will deal with that at that point in time, perhaps returning to Dish.

Is my math correct? Have I overlooked anything? Any other considerations?

I am very interested in hearing comments from all you fine folks (with a few exceptions).

As lgb0250 said, “My only loyalty lies with my wallet. As long as the providers allow the game to be played, I will be a participant.”

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts