Maybe the best 80 bucks I have ever spent!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Got a Toshiba upcovert DVD player at Costco. also found a 2 input HDMI switcher at Best Buy for 129.99. Both work well except for one slight problem. I am using dual RCA plugs to run the audio to my receiver. When I have the HDMI plugged into the DVD player it causes a low hum/buzz in the audio. As soon as I unpug it-no hum/buzz. Any ideas?

Steve

Eric Goempel said:
I plan on getting the DVD recorder also. Gotta get it past the committee (the wife) first, she has a rule on me not buying to many electronics in a week.
I know that feeling,getting the committee approval.Anymore updates on how the 655 is performing Eric?

srjewettlaw said:
Got a Toshiba upcovert DVD player at Costco. also found a 2 input HDMI switcher at Best Buy for 129.99. Both work well except for one slight problem. I am using dual RCA plugs to run the audio to my receiver. When I have the HDMI plugged into the DVD player it causes a low hum/buzz in the audio. As soon as I unpug it-no hum/buzz. Any ideas?

Steve

Low quality shielding? Try better cables. Groud loop issue?

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/index.html

I use component cable for my 811 and DVI for my HR10-250 in my Mitsubishi TV. In both cases the TV says it's 1080i. Now, YOu mean to say that only with the DVI I'm getting true 1080i and the other one is just upconversion? In the past, I switched back and forth between the DVI and component and honestly I saw no difference... but wait, back then I still didn't have my new glasses :D . I should prob try again...

Eric Goempel said:
I

You must have HDMI to get the 1080i.

On the DVD player in order to get a 1080 output it ONLY comes from the HDMI output. Component does not output at 1080. We watched 2 of the STAR WARS movies last night and they both looked great. A few VERY SMALL articats during "return of the jedi" but that was it. We are going to be watching 1 or 2 dif movies startting in 5 min so I will post those reults later tonight.

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
well guys, if this thing is this good, i guess it is time to dump stock in blue-ray.....LOL

Why? These only upconvert a 480 file; it will not even come close to holding a candle to what a actual DVD with HD material on it will look like. These are just a stop-gap band-aid measure to slightly improve your viewing pleasure from your current 480p player until the real deal hits shelves. If you have no player then these are a perfect upgrade.

Holy poop on a stick!! We just finished watching "The Fifth Element" and the thing was FLAWLESS!

I took a few pictures with my Sony DSC-P51 digital camera (at 1600X1200-auto focus-no flashfine detail setting-with auto settings on the rest) so you can see it as best as I can show. These are by no means as bright as the real picture, as the room was totally dark, but it gives a real good idea of the clarity and detail. Feel free to zoom in and look for the rough edges on the images!!! I can not find them. Even in the scene with the huge explosion I see no pixalization!!!!

May be I don't want to see flaws, You tell me!!

Last edited:
If you really want to check the deinterlacing take a photo just a few seconds fefore the first one and see oif the areola have any stairstepping artifacts!

I will get a good close up of that for you bubbles!!!!

If anyone else has a scene in mind t test the thing post it here, If I have the DVD (300+) I will do it.

Am I the only one that gets upset when I catch movies cheating? Look at the tape on the back of the door in this frame from the True Lies DVD.

If they are spending 300 million bucks per movie cant they hire someone to look for this crap? It also gets me when they crash the side of a car and in the next scene it is perfect then it looks crashed in the following scene and then back to precrash look.

I know that the movies are filmed out of sequence and this type of stuff happens when the movie is cut together, but like I said, hire someone to check for this stuff.

Last edited:
I know that this is probably in the wrong place, but I'm stuck and I'm new at this. I have a new DVD player with HDMI and only digital optical out. Well, my new recever only has one digital optical receptical and I've used that for my H20. Is there such a thing as a switcher for optical. I've found HDMI switchers as mentioned above, but that doesn't solve the optical problem. :confused:

scotsmanron said:
It does have ONE, well actually it has two. The second is for a super CD player, but there is no way to switch it to work with the DVD optical outputs and that audio optical output at the same time.

So I'm still in need of a switcher. Is this what I'm looking for:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3103&sku=28734

they actuallymake a splitter for optical cable, give me a day or so ill see if i can find the name or even the one i was using ill send it to you. it was only a few dollars.

scotsmanron said:
It does have ONE, well actually it has two. The second is for a super CD player, but there is no way to switch it to work with the DVD optical outputs and that audio optical output at the same time.

So I'm still in need of a switcher. Is this what I'm looking for:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3103&sku=28734
This is what I use to get Digital audio to my receiver from my HTPC and my DVD player. Only one component can be on at a time for it to work. Works great for me. :up

LINK

splitter

Tonedeaf said:
This is what I use to get Digital audio to my receiver from my HTPC and my DVD player. Only one component can be on at a time for it to work. Works great for me. :up

LINK

This looks great!!! Thanks SO much. I'll order one today!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)