Media-General Stations Adding Ion in Some Markets

Seems like that Market hit the bank this quarter like Green Bay......Ion and Escape (WDTN) (MG) and Antenna on (WKEF) (Sinclair) and the Comet channel on the Fox Affiliate.
they did lose GetTV though ;)

Thats how it works sometimes. That market has 2 MG stations and 2 Sinclair stations. They've been passed up many times with other stations being added.

Green Bay did go from basically 1 sub (MeTV...I dont count wx stations) to 5 (soon to be 6) rather quickly

one more is WMCH 4 Columbus OH
-1 NBC
-2 Me
-3 Ion
Another busy market too with Ion, Antenna (WSYX) and Comet(WWHO) as the new additions (well at least Sinclair gave the people here Antenna back)....OH and correction ( WCMH 4 nbc);). Looks like December is going to be a real busy month on Subchannel additions with Ion and others launching on Media Stations.

they did lose GetTV though ;)

Thats how it works sometimes. That market has 2 MG stations and 2 Sinclair stations. They've been passed up many times with other stations being added.

Green Bay did go from basically 1 sub (MeTV...I dont count wx stations) to 5 (soon to be 6) rather quickly
That leaves the CBS affiliate (Nexstar) without one (maybe where Weigel comes in in the future). WCWF was one of the first in the group to lose Get to Comet and well since the ION affiliate is a MG station maybe there is resurrection for Get, maybe (the 2.2 WX). I'm glad that they got Ion and the other subchannels to land in this market.

Incidentally, Channel 26 was once an ION/PAX O&O.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBDT
Media General owns the station now and ION is back, incidentally on its old Pax affiliate. What you had back then (involving Pax Affiliates) was either the stations were sold (like WDBT CW) and or stations (KDCG-CD H&I) dropped pax due to signal issues and the local cable added the national feed to their lineups. I know alot of the major cities call letters had part of the pax name in them like WPXL-49 New Orleans and those stayed as the o&o's but like our pax, it was an lp and when in 1998 all that happened ours was dropped and the cable company took the national feed. Seems to have worked out for me now I have an extra subchannel on KLFY (well two when Get arrives). A lot of the pax stations back then went Indy until the likes of Retro and This came about (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDCG-CD) or something related to that effect.

apparently KELO (Sioux Falls) and KCLO (Rapid City) added it (per rabbitears)
KELO to the -3 (-1 is CBS -2 is MyNet)
KCLO to the -2 (-1 is CBS). My Network is on a cable only station owned by same folks who own NBC there

apparently KELO (Sioux Falls) and KCLO (Rapid City) added it (per rabbitears)
KELO to the -3 (-1 is CBS -2 is MyNet)
KCLO to the -2 (-1 is CBS). My Network is on a cable only station owned by same folks who own NBC there
OK cool, that ups it to 91, getting close to 100. The only ones I noticed that has'nt launched it yet (has had soon for sometime before KLFY launched ION) is KSNW out of Whicita Kansas and WLFI Indy.

I know WLFI Lafayette (technically it is a different market than Indy) there are guide listings on TitanTV (not zap2it) already (has been for a few days) but hasnt been reported yet as on air

add KASA Albuquerque to the list of "almost there".....from a member at avs

It looks like KASA is adding ION channel as their 2-3. Was just changing channels and found a blank screen with the new label for ION.

3rd largest (per Nielsen)

Largest? San Diego
Charlotte is #2
Yeah, now that I think about it, Charlotte doesn't have one either. I'd never thought of that. I think there are still a couple of independent stations in Charlotte, surprised Paxton didn't snap one of those up, of course they probably weren't selling for nothing.

The last livewell has ION, WLNS 6.3 was added today per my friend Brandon from FB. The 6.2 is still blank. Tell him get ready for the olden golden movies...
Lansing also gets ION OTA from O&O WZPX Battle Creek (whose transmitter is in the Lansing DMA).

WZPX-TV, virtual channel 43 (UHF digital channel 44), is an Ion Television owned-and-operated television station serving Grand Rapids and Lansing, Michigan, United States that is licensed to Battle Creek. The station is owned by Ion Media Networks. WZPX maintains offices on Horizon Drive on the southeastern side of Grand Rapids, and its transmitter is located in Vermontville Township in western Eaton County. The station is available on Comcast channel 6 in the Lansing market (CBS affiliate WLNS-TV, which operates over-the-air on virtual channel 6, is carried on channel 9).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WZPX-TV

Does WZPX have must-carry rights in Lansing?

No. Its licensed to Battle Creek which is the Grand Rapids market. But that doesnt mean its not carried in the market

Yeah, now that I think about it, Charlotte doesn't have one either. I'd never thought of that. I think there are still a couple of independent stations in Charlotte, surprised Paxton didn't snap one of those up, of course they probably weren't selling for nothing.

From 1998 to 2000, WAXN aired many programs from Pax TV (now Ion Television), although the station was never formally affiliated with the network. Charlotte is the largest market in the United States that has never had an owned-and-operated station or affiliate of Pax/i/Ion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAXN-TV

My guess is that PAX tried to buy WAXN but was outbid by Cox.

wonder how many more markets are left for MG to launch Ion

But it is nice for folks to get another option in those markets

They can but unless Media General is going to insert local commercials (or have other programming) its a moot point
WZPX is not carried in HD on Comcast in Lansing and the only difference would be the ID at the top of the hour

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)